This No Bake Hot Chocolate Pie will make your whole family happy!! The rich and creamy pie filling is made with 5 simple ingredients, including Cool Whip, cream cheese, milk, hot chocolate mix, and powdered sugar. It’s such a dreamy dessert for chocolate lovers and a perfect make-ahead sweet treat!
When it comes to easy pie recipes, nothing is simpler than whipping the filling and chilling until perfectly delicious. That’s what I love about the No Bake Chocolate Peppermint Pie and the No Bake Cream Cheese Pie.
There’s no need to crank up the oven or spend hours in the kitchen. No-bake pies are a testament to simplicity and flavor and everyone loves them! And this no bake hot chocolate pie is no different.
And the best part? It comes together easier and quicker than you thought possible for a decadent pie. The hardest part is waiting for it to chill so it sets properly.
You’ll need the following ingredients to make this No Bake Hot Chocolate Pie:
Hot Cocoa Mix: A tasty blend of cocoa powder and sugar adds a nice hot chocolate flavor to the pie. I like the Swiss Miss brand, but go with your favorite. It adds a nice chocolatey flavor and thickness to the creamy pie filling.
Pie Crust: I recommend using an Oreo store-bought pie crust for double chocolate flavor. Whatever you use, be sure it’s an already baked pie shell.
Cool Whip: A container of pre-made whipped topping (i.e. Cool Whip) works best. It adds a creamy texture to the pie when combined with cream cheese.
HOW TO MAKE HOT CHOCOLATE PIE: STEP-BY-STEP
Here are some quick visual instructions. Remember that full instructions with exact ingredients will be in the printable recipe card below!
Step 1: In a large bowl, combine the Cool Whip, cream cheese, and whole milk using a hand mixer. Set your electric mixer on medium speed to whisk the ingredients together until smooth.
Step 2: Once the mixture is smooth, whisk in the hot chocolate mix and powdered sugar.
Step 3: Pour the mixture into the pie crust and use a large spatula to smooth out the top. Cover the pie and freeze for at least 6 hours.
Step 4: Before serving, drizzle chocolate ganache or chocolate syrup over the top of the pie and sprinkle with mini marshmallows. Slice and serve.
RECIPE TIPS & TRICKS
- Bring cream cheese to room temperature first. Use softened cream cheese to help you whip up a smoother and creamier pie filling.
- Check for dry pockets before adding the chocolate-filling mixture to the pie crust. Thoroughly stir the hot chocolate powder and powdered sugar to ensure there are no pockets of the dry ingredients.
- Freeze well first. To let the chocolate pie filling set well, freeze the cream pie for at least 6 hours or overnight. This will also help get clean pie slices.
For a cleaner presentation, slice the hot cocoa pie with a warm knife. Dip it in hot water first, then wipe it dry. This will help create clean and smooth slices.
STORAGE & REHEATING
Storage: Store leftover pie in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Freezing: Cover the entire pie tightly with plastic wrap or aluminum foil to avoid freezer burn, and freeze for up to 2 months. Before serving, let it soften slightly at room temperature for about 10-15 minutes to make slicing easier.
Additions & Substitutions
- Add some spice: Add a teaspoon of ground cinnamon or a pinch of cayenne pepper to the chocolate mixture to make it Mexican hot chocolate pie.
- Enhance chocolate flavor: Add a teaspoon or two of instant coffee or espresso powder to enhance the chocolate richness and give a slightly coffee undertone.
- Toppings: Have fun with toppings. Try crushed peppermint candies, chopped and toasted peanuts, or even M&M candies.
- Marshmallows: Swap out with mini marshmallows with marshmallow fluff or using a kitchen torch lightly toast marshmallow meringue on top.
- Alternative crusts: Try graham cracker crust, pretzel crust for a hint of saltiness, or even a traditional butter crust.
YOUR QUESTIONS ANSWERED
It is completely up to you! While we usually use milk hot chocolate mix, you can use whatever kind you prefer.
The only flavor we have not been much of a fan of is peppermint chocolate. Just make sure that, whatever flavor you are using, you use ¾ of a cup. The hot chocolate mix adds flavor to the pie and helps thicken it.
If you find your no bake chocolate pie cracking when it is sliced, then it may be too frozen. To prevent any cracking from happening, simply let your pie sit on the counter for 5-7 minutes before cutting into it.
You can run your knife under very hot water for about 30 seconds and then cut into your pie.
Yes, you can substitute whipping cream or heavy cream for Cool Whip, but you would have to stabilize it with additional powdered sugar so it retains its shape. I recommend just using Cool Whip to keep this hot chocolate pie recipe as simple as possible.
In a Dinner Rut?
Grab your 7-Day Meal Plan + 3 Bonus Recipes!
Easy Desserts You’ll Love
No Bake Hot Chocolate Pie
- Mix: In a large bowl, combine the Cool Whip, softened cream cheese, and milk. Use an electric hand mixer on medium speed to whisk the ingredients together until smooth.
- Add: Once the mixture is smooth, whisk in the hot chocolate mix and powdered sugar. Ensure that there are no pockets of dry powdered sugar in the pie filling.
- Pour & Freeze: Pour the mixture into the pie crust and use a large spatula to smooth out the top. Cover the pie and freeze it for at least 6 hours.
- Finish: If you like, drizzle chocolate syrup over the top and sprinkle with mini marshmallows. Slice and serve!