This Dill Pickle Pasta Salad recipe went viral on TikTok and is my new favorite!! This creamy pasta salad has cheese, red onion, and lots of chopped dill pickles, all tossed in a creamy dressing with lots of dill pickle flavor! Dill pickle fans…this is for YOU!
You’ll need the following ingredients to make this delicious Dill Pickle Pasta Salad (TikTok viral!):
Mayonnaise: Real mayo works best (full fat!) and makes the dressing super creamy. You can also use a little sour cream or Miracle Whip, too.
Cheese: We love sharp cheddar or Colby Jack, but use your favorite.
HOW TO MAKE DILL PICKLE PASTA SALAD: STEP-BY-STEP
Here are some quick visual instructions. Remember that full instructions with exact ingredients will be in the printable recipe card below!
Step 1: Cook pasta according to package directions. While pasta is cooking, whisk together dressing ingredients.
Step 2 & 3: In a large bowl, combine cooled pasta, pickles, cheese cubes, and onion. Toss with the dressing.
Step 4: Add dried or fresh dill and gently toss again. Refrigerate for an hour (or overnight) and serve.
RECIPE TIPS & TRICKS
- The pasta salad will absorb liquid after being stored. You can add a splash of pickle juice or milk, or a little mayo to loosen it up before serving. You can also reserve a bit of the dressing if you know you’ll be enjoying it the next day.
Want a thicker dressing? Add a little sour cream for a thicker, creamy texture.
Storage: Store this pasta salad in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. I like to make a little extra dressing to pour over leftovers.
ADDITIONS & SUBSTITUTIONS
- Bacon: I’ve seen lots of TikTok recipes for this dill pickle salad that add bacon pieces or bacon bits…not gonna argue with that one!
- Bell Peppers: Add colored bell peppers for crunch and color!
- Sour Cream: Sub sour cream for the mayo or use half mayo and half sour cream for a super creamy texture and a little tang!
- Greek Yogurt: Keep it a bit healthy and replace the mayo with full-fat Greek yogurt.
- Cheese: Use whatever cheese you love! Pepper Jack would be great for a little kick. Mozzarella balls or cubed Monterey Jack also work well.
- Miracle Whip: Love a bit of sweetness? Use Miracle Whip in place of mayo or use 1/2 mayo and 1/2 Miracle Whip.
- Type of Pasta: Use whatever type of pasta you like–macaroni or medium shell pasta is great, too. Get creative with your pasta shapes!
YOUR QUESTIONS ANSWERED
This salad is good with pretty much ANYTHING, but it works so well with grilled meats: Grilled chicken, pork chops, steak, burgers, hot dogs, and ribs!
It’s also great for picnics: Pack the pasta salad in containers and take it on a picnic along with sandwiches, fresh fruit, and chips.
I am pretty sure this type of salad has been around for a while, but of course, it’s now super popular because of TikTok! There are many different versions and I love how TikTok has so many different variations like this one and this one with bacon!
Feel free to make this recipe your own, too!
In a Dinner Rut?
Grab your 7-Day Meal Plan + 3 Bonus Recipes!
Great Side Dish Recipes You’ll Love
Dill Pickle Pasta Salad
For the pasta salad
- 12-16 oz dry rotini pasta
- 1 cup dill pickles, chopped
- 1/3 cup red onion, diced sweet yellow or white onion is OK, too
- 1/2 to 1 cup cheese, cubed colby jack cheese and sharp cheddar cheese work well
- 1 1/2 tbsp dried dill or 2-3 tbsp chopped fresh dill or a combination of the two!
For the dressing
- 2/3 cup mayonnaise real mayonnaise is best!
- 1/3 cup dill pickle juice See Note 1
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp sea salt (more to taste)
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Cook Pasta: Cook pasta to al dente according to package directions. Drain and rinse under cold water to stop the cooking. Set aside.
- Make Dressing: While the pasta is cooling/draining, make the dressing. In a small bowl, whisk together dressing ingredients: mayo, dill pickle juice, Dijon mustard, garlic powder, paprika, salt, and pepper.
- Assemble: In a large bowl, combine cooled pasta, chopped dill pickles, cheese cubes, and red onion. Pour the dressing over the top and toss gently. Stir in fresh or dried dill and toss to combine.
- Serve: Serve right away or to enhance flavors, refrigerate the salad for an hour or up to overnight. Optional: Top with a little fresh parsley just before serving for some added freshness.