This Mexican Chicken Casserole with Doritos is packed with flavor and only takes 15 minutes to prep — perfect for those busy weeknights! This super easy recipe combines shredded chicken, corn, cream of chicken soup, salsa, sour cream, spices, and crunchy Doritos. It’s all topped with shredded cheese and baked until golden brown and bubbly!
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. This post may contain affiliate links which means I may earn a small commission when you click on the links and make a purchase. I will never recommend a product that I don’t support 100%. You can read my full disclosure here.
The first time I had a cheesy chicken casserole like this I was a week postpartum. I was STARVING and I’m pretty certain, I ate 75% of the dish myself! It was SO GOOD.
The original recipe I enjoyed was made with corn tortillas, green chilis and included taco seasoning, I believe. I mixed it up just a bit over the years and finally landed on this DORITOS version!
Crunchy chips are layered with chicken, corn, and salsa in this creamy, cheesy dish. This Doritos chicken casserole is a crowd-pleaser and it’s easy to make ahead — just pop it in the oven when you’re ready.
It’s definitely a meal the whole family can enjoy! If your family loves this recipe, they’ll also love this Doritos Taco Casserole or this Cheesy Chicken and Rice Casserole!
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS RECIPE
- Cheesy casserole that’s super easy to put together!
- Very little prep time! Using a rotisserie chicken makes this dish a breeze!
- Great way to use up leftover chicken or rotisserie chicken.
- Great to make ahead and pop it in the oven when you’re ready.
You’ll need the following ingredients to make this Cheesy Dorito Chicken Casserole Recipe:
Doritos: Nacho cheese Doritos are the classic choice but feel free to mix it up and use cool ranch or spicy chips, too!
Chicken: Shredded or diced boneless, skinless chicken breasts work best. I ALWAYS make this recipe with shredded rotisserie chicken–it comes together so quickly!
Salsa: Your favorite jarred salsa is perfect.
HOW TO MAKE MEXICAN CHICKEN CASSEROLE WITH DORITOS: STEP BY STEP
Here are some quick visual instructions. Remember that full instructions with exact ingredients will be in the recipe card below!
Step 1: Layer half of the crushed chips into the bottom of your baking dish. In a large bowl combine shredded chicken, corn, cream of chicken soup, salsa, sour cream, and spices. Mix well until everything is combined.
Step 2: Spread the mixture into the baking dish and sprinkle the remaining crushed Doritos over the top.
Step 3: Layer the top with about a cup of cheese.
Step 4: Bake at 375°F for 25-30 minutes until bubbly. Remove from oven. Let the casserole stand for about 5 minutes. Sprinkle with green onions and enjoy immediately.
⭐️ CONFIDENCE TIP ⭐️
Store-bought rotisserie chicken or leftover chicken makes this dish an absolute breeze!
STORAGE & REHEATING
- Storage: Leftovers make a great lunch the next day! Store leftovers in an airtight container OR cover the baking dish tightly with aluminum foil. Store in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- Reheating: Reheat individual portions in the microwave in 30-second increments. Since the Doritos tend to lose their crunch overnight, I always like to sprinkle some new, crunchy chips onto the top.
- Freezing: This casserole can be frozen for up to 3 months. However, leave both the top and bottom layers of Doritos out of the dish if you plan to freeze it. When you are ready to bake, add a nice layer of chips to the top of the casserole. Thaw in the fridge overnight then bake for 30-40 minutes or until bubbly.
ADDITIONS AND SUBSTITUTIONS
Salsa: A 10oz. can of Rotel tomatoes (drained well) can be used in place of the jarred salad.
Doritos: Regular tortilla chips (thick cut) can be used in place of the Doritos. Also, feel free to mix up the Doritos flavor–use Cool Ranch or spicy!
Cream of Chicken Soup: Cream of Mushroom soup can also be used or you can make your own, homemade cream of chicken soup.
Black Beans: A can of black beans (drained and rinsed) can be stirred in for extra protein!
Spice: If you want more spice and a little extra flavor, add a few chopped jalapeños or a dash of cayenne pepper.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Yes! Assemble the casserole as written the recipe. Leave off the top layer of Doritos. Cover tightly and refrigerate 1-2 days. When you are ready to bake it, add the top layer of chips.
Nope. Everything in this casserole is cooked before going into the oven, so it doesn’t need to bake very long. If you notice the Doritos are browning too quickly, you can cover it with foil, but that shouldn’t happen!
For balance, I like having green veggies on the side. This simple tossed green salad or this crisp arugula salad are both perfect. This super easy air fryer broccoli is a good choice, as well as these irresistible crack green beans!
GET MY FREE 7-DAY MEAL PLAN
In a dinner rut? I’ve got a Free Meal Plan with 7 of my most delicious, easy recipes! Sign up for my email list and I’ll send it over now along with weekly dinner recipes!
TOOLS FOR THIS RECIPE
Check out all of my kitchen essentials in my Amazon store!
Baking Dish: Love this basic white ceramic pan for almost everything!
Mixing Bowl: My absolute faves and they come with lids!
Rate this recipe! I love your feedback!
Please SUBSCRIBE HERE and follow me on INSTAGRAM, FACEBOOK, and PINTEREST!
TRY THESE NEXT…
Mexican Chicken Casserole with Doritos
- 1 9.25 oz. bag nacho cheese flavored Doritos, lightly crushed
- 2 1/2 cups cooked chicken, shredded or diced rotisserie chicken works great
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 14.5 oz. can cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup jarred salsa
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1-2 cups grated cheddar cheese sharp cheddar or a Mexican cheese blend works well
- chopped green onion, for serving
- Prep: Preheat oven to 375°F. Spray the bottom of a 9×13 baking dish (or similar) with cooking spray. Sprinkle HALF of the crushed Doritos onto the bottom of the baking dish.
- Mix: In a large mixing bowl, add the chicken, corn, cream of chicken soup, salsa, sour cream, and spices. Mix well until everything is well-combied.
- Layer: Spread the chicken mixture over the top of the crushed Doritos. Sprinkle the remaining chips over the top. Last, sprinkle on the shredded cheese.
- Bake: Bake for 25-30 minutes until bubbly. Remove from oven. Let the casserole stand for about 5 minutes. Sprinkle with green onions and enjoy immediately.
Tayler Ross says
I made this casserole for dinner last night and it was delicious! The Doritos really set it over the top!
Dana Sandonato says
This is so cozy and comforting! Love the addition of Doritos. That crunch MAKES it!
Shadi Hasanzadenemati says
Oh wow, this looks so delicious. My family is going to devour it!
Your Mexican Chicken Casserole with Doritos has Super Bowl written all over it! Thanks for sharing!
Such a delicious casserole! I love how it comes together with only 15 minutes of prep and the flavor sounds amazing with the Doritos.