Grilled steak is a summertime staple, but kick up your grilling game by adding these amazing garlic butter onions! Sweet onions are sautéed low and slow in Président butter and garlic, then served alongside perfectly grilled steak. Don’t forget to drizzle your steak with the garlic butter…..It’s to die for, ya’ll!! So, SO good!
This post is sponsored by Président Butter. Thank you for supporting the brands that support Get On My Plate! Please know that I will never recommend a product or a brand that I don’t support 100%. You can read my full disclosure here.
Although I will have a perfectly grilled steak totally on it’s own, there is something about adding onions or an amazing side dish like my Air Fryer Roasted Potatoes or my Perfect Orzo Salad that really gets me excited about summer grilling! These Garlic Butter Onions are nooo exception! There are the “icing” on this amazing steak cake! 🙂
HOW TO MAKE GRILLED STEAK WITH GARLIC BUTTER ONIONS
- Before you start, take steaks out of the fridge and allow them to come to about room temperature (about 30 minutes is fine!).
- Then, start on your amazing garlic butter onions! Super easy–the key is LOW AND SLOW. Add onions to butter, cook at low heat 6-7 minutes. Add LOTS Of garlic and cook another 6-7 minutes. That’s it!
- Next, get your grill going! I use charcoal but you can use gas as well!
- Season steaks with coarse salt and freshly ground cracked pepper.
- On the grill, sear steak over direct heat for 3 minutes on each side. This is important! Gotta get a good sear on each side!
- Then, remove steak from direct heat and cook over indirect heat (move steak to the side of the grill) for another 5-8 minutes or until desired doneness. (internal temperature should be 135-145 for medium).
- Remove steak from grill and cover with foil and allow to rest for 5 minutes.
- Slice and top with the garlic butter onions!
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
How do you know when your steak is done?
The most accurate way is with an Instant Read Meat Thermometer like this one. The tempretures you should be looking for are as follows:
Medium Rare: 130-135
Well: 145 + (don’t do this, please!) 🙂
I typically take my meat off on the low end of Medium Rare (because I like my steak “raw” according to everyone)!! After you have used a thermometer a few times, you will know about how long to cook your steak and won’t need it anymore! It just takes practice!
What do I serve with steak and garlic butter onions?
Soooo many fun options! I love steak and potatoes so my Perfect Air Fryer Roasted Potatoes are perfect! Orzo Salad like this one goes perfectly with any grilled meat! On the healthier side, you can try The Best Air Fryer Broccoli or Sweet Potato Fries!
Can you store leftover garlic butter onions?
You sure can! Just store covered in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. To reheat, just nuke them in the microwave for about a minute until butter melts. You can also just reheat them in a skillet for a minute or two over medium heat.
Other recipes you’ll love
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a Star Rating ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ below or tag @get.on.my.plate on Instagram! I really appreciate–it helps me out so much! Also, please SUBSCRIBE HERE and follow me on INSTAGRAM, FACEBOOK and PINTEREST!
Grilled Steak with Garlic Butter Onions
For the steak:
- 2 8 oz New York Strip Steaks your favorite cut of steak works, too!
- coarse salt and freshly ground peppercorns
For the onions:
- 6 cups sweet onions, sliced about 2-3 medium/large onions
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 tbsp Président Butter
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp parley, finely chopped (optional/to taste)
For the onions:
- Over medium-low heat, melt Président Butter.
- Add sliced onions and cook for 6-7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add garlic and season onions with salt. Cook for an additional 6-7 minutes.
- Stir in parley, if desired.
For the steak:
- Take steaks out of the refrigerator and allow them to come to room temperature (about 30 minutes).
- Pat steaks with a paper towel to remove any excess juices, then season liberally with coarse salt and fresh ground peppercorns
- On the grill, sear steak over direct heat for 3 minutes on each side. Then, remove from direct heat and cook over indirect heat for another 5-8 minutes or until desired doneness. (internal temperature should be 135-145 for medium).
- Cover with foil and allow steaks to rest for about 5 minutes. Cut into slices and top with the sautéed garlic butter onions!