These Peppermint Rice Krispie Treats are a festive twist on the traditional rice krispie treat recipe. These treats are the perfect combination of crispy, gooey, and refreshingly minty, making them a hit at any holiday gathering! They’re also a perfect addition to holiday cookie platters, too!
You’ll need the following ingredients to make these delicious Peppermint Rice Krispie Treats:
Marshmallows: Mini marshmallows work best and are the easiest to melt. However, the bigger, regular marshmallows will also work just fine.
Peppermint Candy: You can use candy cane pieces (crushed candy canes) or the little round peppermint candies.
HOW TO MAKE PEPPERMINT RICE KRISPIE TREATS: STEP-BY-STEP
Here are some quick visual instructions. Remember that full instructions with exact ingredients will be in the printable recipe card below!
Step 1: In a large pot, melt butter. Stir in mini marshmallows and peppermint extract. Stir continuously until the marshmallows are completely melted.
Step 2: To the marshmallow mixture, gently fold in rice krispie cereal and crushed peppermint candies.
Step 3: Stir gently until cereal is evenly coated with the marshmallows and melted butter.
Step 4: Press mixture evenly into a 9×13-inch baking pan. Allow treats to cool for about an hour. Then cut into squares and enjoy!
RECIPE TIPS & TRICKS
- I know it’s tough, but chilling these delicious treats for about an hour helps them set up faster and makes them a little easier to slice.
- The peppermint extract helps elevate the peppermint flavor in this recipe; however, it can be omitted if you want a more subtle peppermint flavor.
- To make slicing your bars even easier, you can run your knife under hot water for about 20 seconds. Also, make sure your knife is clean after each cut.
When pressing your treats into the pan, use a greased spatula or a wooden spoon sprayed with cooking spray. It makes this process easy and non-stick! 🙂
STORAGE & REHEATING
Storage: Cover the pan tightly with foil or plastic wrap and store on the counter for 2-3 days (for max freshness!). Or, store squares in an airtight container or Ziploc bag in the fridge for up to 5-6 days.
Freezing: These cereal treats freeze up beautifully! Wrap each treat tightly in freezer-safe plastic wrap or aluminum foil. Then, place each wrapped treat in a large freezer bag or freezer-safe container. This is my preferred way to freeze.
For more ways to freeze rice krispie treats check out this article: How to Freeze Rice Krispie Treats.
Additions & Substitutions
- Melted Chocolate: Ahhh….the ONLY thing that would make this easy treat better is some melted chocolate! Melt some white chocolate chips or some milk chocolate and drizzle it all over your chewy treats! You can also use flavored candy melts.
- Marshmallows: For even more peppermint flavor, use peppermint marshmallows (they usually sell them around the holidays or you can try your hand and making your own!)
- Peppermint Extract: This really up’s the peppermint flavor in these treats! But feel free to omit it if you want a more subtle peppermint flavor.
YOUR QUESTIONS ANSWERED
The first thing is to ensure you use fresh ingredients–no expired rice krispie cereal!
The next thing is to make sure you have enough marshmallows in your recipe–we got that covered in this recipe!
Last, don’t compact your treats too much when pressing them into the pan. This can make the treats too dense and they may loose some chewiness.
Cool treats completely. Then, line the container with parchment paper or wax paper. Place a layer of Rice Krispie treats on the paper, then add another sheet of parchment paper on top, and continue layering the treats with parchment paper in between.
These treats are perfect with any holiday-inspired drink! Egg nog, hot chocolate, apple cider, or mulled wine!
Rice Krispie Treats You’ll Love
Peppermint Rice Krispie Treats
- 1/2 cup salted butter one stick
- 4 cups mini marshmallows
- 1 tsp peppermint extract
- 6 cups rice cereal (Rice Krispies)
- 1 cup peppermint candies, crushed See Note 1
- Prep: Spray a 9×13 baking dish lightly with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Melt: In a large pot, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add: Once the butter is completely melted, turn to low heat and add the peppermint extract and mini marshmallows. Stir the mixture continuously until marshmallows are completely melted.
- Turn Off Heat & Add: Turn off the heat and add the cereal and about 3/4 of the crushed peppermint candy. Gently fold all the ingredients together until the cereal is evenly coated in the melted marshmallows.
- Transfer: Transfer the cereal mixture to your prepared baking dish and use a large wooden spoon or rubber spatula to press mixture evenly into the pan. Sprinkle remaining peppermint candy over the top. Hint: Spray the spoon or spatula with a little non-stick spray to help easily press the treats into the pan.
- Cool & Cut: Allow the Rice Krispie treats to cool in the fridge for about an hour–this will ensure you get nice, clean cuts! Cut into squares with a sharp knife and enjoy!