You’ll love these irresistible Caramel Rice Krispie Treats! Made with marshmallows, caramel, and a hint of rich chocolate – this no-bake dessert is perfect for any occasion. The best part is these caramel crispy treats come together quickly and easily, and you can double the batch to have them on hand whenever you want to satisfy your sweet tooth!
The combination of caramel and chocolate takes the original recipe that we all know and love and transforms it into the best dessert you cannot resist. Each bite offers a balance of mouthwatering flavors and textures.
These treats are the best dessert to impress your friends and family because it has it all! How can you say no to the heavenly combination of chewiness from the melted marshmallows, satisfying crunch from the crispy cereal, and a luscious sweetness from the caramel???!
And if you’re looking for more no-bake treats, be sure to check out this Krispy option with marshmallow fluff, these decadent Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats, and these 4 Ingredient M&M Rice Krispie Treats! For some holiday cheer, don’t miss these festive Peppermint Rice Krispie Treats!
I’m all about easy treats because I firmly believe you don’t need to sweat to enjoy a delicious treat!
You’ll need the following ingredients to make these amazing Caramel Rice Krispie Treats:
Rice Krispie cereal: This is a popular choice in traditional Rice Krispie treats, and we’re staying with this classic cereal. I like using the Rice Krispie brand, but store-brand works too.
Marshmallows: Use mini marshmallows to allow quick melting and create that gooey, sticky, and delicious base for the treats. They contribute to the classic marshmallow flavor and provide that signature chewy texture in these cereal bars.
Caramel: This is what makes these caramel Rice Krispies treats oh-so-delicious. We’re using a combination of caramel topping and caramel candy to double the caramel flavor.
Chocolate chips: Mini milk chocolate chips sprinkled on the caramel treats add contrasting texture and rich flavor.
HOW TO MAKE CARAMEL RICE KRISPIE TREATS: STEP BY STEP
Here are some quick visual instructions. Remember that full instructions with exact ingredients will be in the recipe card below!
Step 1: In a medium saucepan, melt marshmallows and butter over medium-low heat. Stir until the marshmallows are melted and you have a smooth texture.
Step 2: Transfer the marshmallow mixture into a large mixing bowl and add the caramel bites. Then, add the Rice Krispie cereal and stir with a silicone spatula or wooden spoon until all the cereal is well-coated.
Step 3: Transfer the cereal mixture into a greased baking dish and press the mixture to form an even layer.
Step 4: Pour the caramel sauce over the Rice Krispie mixture and spread evenly with a spoon.
Step 5: Sprinkle the chocolate chips over the top. Set aside and allow the caramel to set for about an hour. When cool, cut into squares and enjoy.
RECIPE TIPS & TRICKS
- Prep the baking dish. Before you begin, butter or spray your baking dish generously with non-stick cooking spray to prevent the cereal treats from sticking to the dish.
- Watch the heat. When melting the butter and marshmallows, use medium-low heat to prevent burning or scorching. It also helps to stir often until thoroughly melted and the mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Coat the cereal evenly. Ensure all the Rice Krispies cereal is coated with the melted marshmallow mixture to create an even distribution of flavors and texture throughout the caramel Rice Krispie bars.
- Butter your hands or tools. If the mixture becomes too sticky to spread easily in the baking dish, use a lightly greased spatula or butter your hands to help spread it evenly.
Give the caramel time to set. You want to set it aside for at least an hour to create a more defined caramel layer on top. If short on time, pop it in the fridge.
STORAGE AND FREEZING
- Storage: Leftover caramel Rice Krispie treats should be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 4 days. After that, transfer them to the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
To store individual bars, store them cut in multiple layers with a sheet of parchment paper or wax paper between layers. This will prevent them from sticking together.
- Freezing: These caramel cereal treats can also be frozen in large Ziploc bag or freezer-safe container for up to 2 months. For detailed tips and tricks on freezing this classic treat, be sure to check out Can You Freeze Rice Krispie Treats? When ready to enjoy again, allow to thaw at room temperature for a few hours.
Additions & Substitutions
- Peanut butter: Add a few tablespoons of peanut butter to the marshmallow mixture for a delicious twist.
- Flaky sea salt: Take these to a whole new level by sprinkling some salt to make salted caramel Rice Krispie treats.
- Cereal: While Rice Krispie cereal is a classic choice for these traditional treats, feel free to sub with other cereal like Corn Flakes.
- Caramel: If you don’t have caramel bites, use soft caramels. Simply unwrap them and chop them into small pieces before adding them to the mixture.
- Chocolate: Add a drizzle of melted chocolate instead of chocolate chips to create a chocolate ganache on the top layer.
YOUR QUESTIONS ANSWERED
Yes, you can use larger marshmallows, but you must cut them into smaller pieces to ensure they melt evenly. Otherwise, you risk the marshmallow mixture from being burnt.
Absolutely! You can double the recipe if you need a larger batch of treats. Simply adjust the ingredient quantities accordingly and use a larger baking dish or make two separate batches.
Certainly! Pour the caramel sauce inside the treats and stir it into the melted marshmallow mixture but avoid thoroughly mixing it. This will create a caramel swirl effect throughout the treats.
In a Dinner Rut?
Grab your 7-Day Meal Plan + 3 Bonus Recipes!
TOOLS FOR THIS RECIPE
TRY THESE NEXT…
Caramel Rice Krispie Treats
- 3 tbsp salted butter
- 1 10 oz. bag mini marshmallows
- 1 cup caramel bites I used Kraft
- 6 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 1 14 oz. jar of caramel topping
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- Prep: Butter a 9×13 inch baking dish or spray with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Melt: In a medium saucepan, melt butter and marshmallows over medium-low heat. Mix until marshmallows are melted and you have a smooth mixture. Make sure to keep the heat low and stir often so the marshmallows don't burn1
- Mix: Pour the marshmallow mixture into a large mixing bowl and add the caramel bites. Then, add Rice Krispie cereal. Mix with a silicone spatula (or wooden spoon) until all of the cereal is well-coated.
- Transfer: Transfer mixture into prepared 9×13 baking dish. Spread in an even layer. Tip: use a fork or spatula coated with a little butter if the mixture is too sticky to spread easily.
- Pour & Sprinkle: Pour the caramel sauce over the Rice Krispie treats and spread evenly with a spoon.; Sprinkle the mini chocolate chips over the top.
- Cool (optional): Set aside and allow caramel to set for about one hour. Or place in the fridge for faster setting-time! When cool, cut into squares and enjoy.