This delicious Pasta Salad with Roasted Tomatoes is a perfect light pasta salad for summer BBQ’s and get togethers! Slow-roasted tomatoes are combined with pasta, olives, and fresh basil. Then everything is drizzled with a simple, fresh, lemon-based dressing that just screams SUMMER!!
If you’re looking for the perfect summer salad, look no further! This pasta salad with roasted tomatoes is one of my all-time faves!
Roasting really brings out the sweetness of the tomatoes….then combined with salty olives, fresh herbs and a lemony dressing…..everyone will LOVE this light pasta salad!
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS RECIPE
- Delicious summer salad and perfect for a summer potluck!
- Sweet tomatoes that are slow roasted and combined with pasta and a tangy lemon dressing–perfection!
- Easy to make ahead!
- Can easily be doubled to feed a large crowd!
You’ll need the following ingredients to make this Roasted Tomato Pasta Salad:
Orzo: I love orzo because it soaks up the delicious dressing so well, but ANY pasta will work!
Roasted Tomatoes: Sweet, slow roasted tomatoes take this salad over the top! Learn how to make them quickly in the air fryer here: Air Fryer Roasted Cherry Tomatoes.
HOW TO MAKE PASTA SALAD WITH ROASTED TOMATOES: STEP BY STEP
Here are some quick visual instructions. Remember that full instructions with exact ingredients will be in the recipe card below!
Step 1: Cook up your orzo (or other pasta) according to package directions.
Step 2: Whisk together ingredients for the salad dressing.
Step 3: Place orzo into a large serving bowl and top with olives, roasted tomatoes, fresh basil and Parmesan cheese.
Step 4: Pout on the dressing and toss to combine.
RECIPE TIPS & TRICKS
- If you are making this salad in advance, wait to toss it with the dressing until you are ready to serve.
- Use a mason jar to combine dressing ingredients. Give it a good shake to combine everything really well. The jar is also great to store the dressing if you are making this dish in advance.
- Use freshly grated Parmesan cheese or Parmigiano Reggiano for the best flavor!
- I personally think this pasta salad is best served at room temperature. So pull it out of the fridge 30-60 minutes before you’re ready to serve it.
- Storage: This salad stores well! Store leftovers in an airtight container or covered tightly with plastic wrap in the fridge for up to 4 days. When you are ready to eat, squeeze on a bit of lemon juice (or extra dressing) and toss well.
ADDITIONS AND SUBSTITUTIONS
Here are some yummy additions:
- Pine nuts are a yummy addition for a little crunch!
- Finely chopped green pepper or red pepper are also great for a little crunch!
Here are some things you can substitute:
- Cherry Tomatoes: If you don’t want to take the time to roast tomatoes, you can use fresh tomatoes such a sweet cherry tomatoes, grape tomatoes or even chopped heirloom tomatoes. You won’t get the super sweet flavor of the roasted tomatoes, but it will save you a bit of time. You can also substitute jarred sun dried tomatoes.
- Cheese: Another salty cheese such as feta cheese works great as a substitute for Parmesan cheese. Small, fresh mozzarella balls are also delicious!
- Pasta: I personally love orzo, but any pasta works with this salad. Some good “shapes” to try: bowtie pasta, rotini and ditalini.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
The roasting process is super simple! Just take raw tomatoes ( I love cherry tomatoes for quicker cooking), cut them in half, toss them in a little oil and season them with salt and pepper. Then roast in a single layer on a sheet pan in the oven….low and slow. Cook them for a couple of hours at 275˚-300˚F.
Or roast them a lot more quickly in the air fryer–it takes only about half the time! See how to roast cherry tomatoes in the air fryer.
In a Dinner Rut?
Grab your 7-Day Meal Plan + 3 Bonus Recipes!
Pasta Salad with Roasted Tomatoes
For the dressing
- 1/3 cup white wine vinegar red wine vinegar works, too!
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice about 2 large lemons
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tsp dried oregano or Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp sea salt or kosher salt
- 1 tsp sugar
For the orzo salad
- 1 lb. orzo pasta any shape pasta works
- 2 pints roasted tomatoes See Note 1
- 1 cup kalamata olives, sliced
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves, torn or roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- red pepper flakes or freshly ground black pepper optional
- Boil orzo (or other pasta) according to al dente, according to package directions.
- While pasta is cooking, in a small bowl, whisk together all ingredients for the dressing. Set aside.
- Drain pasta and run under cold water to stop cooking and help cool down the pasta quickly.
- Add pasta to a large serving bowl. Then, add kalamata olives, roasted cherry tomatoes, basil leaves and Parmesan cheese. Toss everything with the dressing until pasta is well coated. Add red pepper flakes or fresh ground pepper, if you like.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate. I like serving this salad at room temperature, so pull it out of the fridge 30-60 minutes before you are ready to serve. Pasta salad keeps great in the fridge and can be made up to 24 hours in advance.
- If you don’t want to take the time to roast tomatoes, you can use fresh tomatoes such a sweet cherry tomatoes, grape tomatoes or even chopped heirloom tomatoes. You won’t get the sweet flavor of the roasted tomatoes, but it will save you a bit of time. You can also substitute in jarred sun dried tomatoes.