This Easy Red Chicken Chili is made with shredded rotisserie chicken and is such a cinch to pull together! It’s cozy, delicious, and takes only 30 minutes! It’s a healthy meal prep option, too!
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. This post may contain affiliate links which means I may earn a small commission when you click on the links and make a purchase. I will never recommend a product that I don’t support 100%. You can read my full disclosure here.
A warm, comforting bowl of chili is just perfection on chilly days! My chili con carne is one of my easy go-to chili recipes–it’s super easy and leftovers are AMAZING to make these chili con carne nachos!
This red chicken chili is made with shredded chicken and is SUCH a cinch to make, even on a busy weeknight! It all comes together in about 30 minutes!
Leftovers are fantastic for lunch and you can also whip up a batch for a healthy meal prep! Pile on your favorite toppings and get ready to enjoy this hearty red chicken chili! Need topping ideas?? Check out these 50+ Delicious Toppings for Chili!
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS RECIPE
- Super easy recipe to make!
- Cozy, delicious chili that’s done in 30 minutes!
- Great for a healthy meal prep!
- Freezes up great! Make a double batch and freeze half for later!
You’ll need the following ingredients to make this delicious Red Chicken Chili Recipe (with shredded chicken):
Shredded Chicken: Using rotisserie chicken breast or leftover chicken is the easiest option. You can also cook boneless, skinless chicken breasts in a pan and dice them up!
Beans: I love black beans but feel free to use your favorite variety or leave them out!
HOW TO MAKE RED CHICKEN CHILI WITH SHREDDED CHICKEN: STEP BY STEP
Here are some quick visual instructions. Remember that full instructions with exact ingredients will be in the recipe card below!
Step 1: Cook onion and garlic in a large pot.
Step 2: Add in the remaining ingredients: chicken, tomatoes, beans, broth, corn, chili powder, and pepper.
Step 3: Simmer for 20 minutes and allow the flavors to marry.
Step 4: Top bowls of chili with your favorite chili toppings!
⭐️ CONFIDENCE TIP ⭐️
This dish freezes up so well! Make a double batch of chili and freeze half for easy dinners or lunches later!
STORAGE & REHEATING
- Storage: Store leftover chili in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- Reheating: Reheat in the microwave or in a pan over the stove on medium heat until warmed through. You may want to add a splash of chicken stock to thin it out a bit.
- Freezing: This red chili recipe freezes up great! Let chili cool completely. Then transfer to a freezer-safe zip-top bag, seal tightly and freeze flat for up to 3 months. Thaw in the fridge overnight and reheat according to reheating instructions above.
ADDITIONS AND SUBSTITUTIONS
Here are a few additions you can try:
- Veggies: Red bell pepper and green and yellow bell peppers are both great additions. Add them in when you’re cooking the onions.
- Spice/Heat: For a smokey flavor, add a teaspoon of ground cumin. For extra heat, add red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper.
Here are a few substitutions you can make:
- Shredded Chicken: Using rotisserie chicken breast or leftover chicken is the easiest option. You can also cook boneless, skinless chicken breasts in a pan and dice them up! OR leave out the chicken and make it a veggie chili adding more beans and veggies!
- Chili Powder: No chili powder? You can use taco seasoning!
- Black Beans: Use your favorite type of canned beans. Kidney beans, white beans (cannellini beans), and pinto beans (or a combo of these!) are great options.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Yes! In fact, I highly recommend using stock instead of broth because the stock has a deeper flavor. Chicken bone broth is also a great option!
1. Simmer the chili, uncovered until desired thickness is reached. Chili with thicken as it simmers.
2. Cornstarch! But DO NOT add cornstarch directly into the hot chili–you will get all kinds of ugly lumps. Instead, add 1 tbsp of cornstarch to 2 tbsp cold chicken stock. Whisk together and add the slurry to your chili.
TOOLS FOR THIS RECIPE
Rate this recipe! I love your feedback!
TRY THESE COZY RECIPES NEXT…
Easy Red Chicken Chili (with shredded chicken)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced the best garlic chopper!
- 3 cups rotisserie chicken breast, shredded
- 1 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1 10 oz. can diced tomatoes with green chiles such as Rotel
- 1 15 oz. can of black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup frozen sweet corn canned corn (drained) is OK, too!
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- your favorite chili toppings, for serving (shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream, fresh cilantro, green onions, avocado, tortilla chips)
- Saute: In a large pot or dutch oven over medium-high heat, heat olive oil. Add onions and saute until they begin to turn golden (4-5 minutes). Add garlic and cook for an additional minute.
- Add: Add remaining ingredients: shredded chicken, both cans of diced tomatoes, black beans, chicken stock, corn, chili powder and pepper. Give everything a big stir to combine.
- Simmer: Bring to a boil, then reduce to medium-low heat and simmer chili for about 20 minutes.
- Finish: Serve hot with your favorite toppings. Some ideas: shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream, fresh cilantro, green onions, avocado and tortilla chips.