This is literally the most perfect Air Fryer Shredded Chicken you will ever make! Cooking chicken in the air fryer is the absolute best way to get tender, flavorful shredded chicken. I have a few secrets on how to get it perfect…and once you make this recipe, you’ll never make shredded chicken any other way!
You’ll need the following ingredients to make this Air Fryer Shredded Chicken Recipe:
Chicken Breasts: Use 2-3 medium chicken breasts for quick cooking. If you use the giant Costco-sized chicken breasts, just cut them in half lengthwise so they are thinner and cook more quickly.
Red Wine Vinegar: This is purely for depth of flavor and to keep the chicken tender. I promise you WILL NOT taste any sort of vinegar flavor whatsoever.
HOW TO MAKE AIR FRYER SHREDDED CHICKEN: STEP-BY-STEP
Here are some quick visual instructions. Remember that full instructions with exact ingredients will be in the printable recipe card below!
Steps 1 & 2: Season the chicken with salt, lemon pepper and ground mustard. Then, whisk together olive oil, red wine vinegar, and Dijon mustard.
Steps 3 & 4: Place chicken breasts in a small pie pan and pour the olive oil mixture over the top.
Air fry at 370°F for 13-15 minutes. Flip, then cook for another 7-8 minutes until internal temperature reaches 165°F. Note: Exact cook time will depend on your air fryer and the thickness of your chicken breasts.
Step 5: Shred chicken, then toss it in the olive oil mixture from the pan. Air fry for another 2 minutes and serve!
RECIPE TIPS & TRICKS
- Use a disposable pie pan for quick and easy cleanup!
- Chicken breasts vary in size and thickness and may cook and slightly different rates. The best way to test if the chicken is done is with a meat thermometer. The temperature should be 165°F when the thermometer is inserted into the thickest part of the breast.
This shredded chicken breast is SO much more delicious and flavorful than rotisserie chicken! Make a double batch and use it in any recipes that call for rotisserie chicken!
STORAGE & REHEATING
Storage: Store leftover chicken in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days.
Reheating: To rewarm chicken in the microwave, place a damp paper towel on the top of the bowl and heat for a minute or so until warmed through. To reheat on the stove, add 3-4 tablespoons of water (or chicken broth) to the pan and warm for 3-4 minutes over medium heat.
Freezing: This chicken freezes up great! Place cooled chicken in a freezer bag and freeze for 3-4 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge and use in your favorite recipes or reheat following the directions above.
Additions & Substitutions
- Spice: Add a little spice by adding a few sprinkles of cayenne pepper to the spice rub.
- Sweetness: Add a bit of sweetness by adding some brown sugar to the olive oil mixture.
- Spice blend: Feel free to mix up the spice blend however you like! My two favorites are: 1) taco seasoning and 2) equal parts of garlic powder/onion powder/smoked paprika/salt (1 tsp each).
YOUR QUESTIONS ANSWERED
There are SO DARN MANY delicious ways to serve this shredded chicken. Here are just a FEW of my go-tos:
1. Tacos: Pile chicken in flour tortillas with a squeeze of lime juice. Then add taco toppings like cheese, lettuce, sour cream, and salsa!
2. BBQ Sandwiches: Toss chicken with your favorite BBQ sauce and make easy BBQ chicken sandwiches.
3. Chicken Sliders: Pile chicken onto Hawaiian Rolls with a drizzle of honey mustard dressing for delicious sliders!
4. Soups & Salads: This chicken is perfect to make this Crack Chicken Soup or to add some protein to a Caesar Salad.
Nope! Not if you cook it correctly! Chicken breasts tend to dry out when they are cooked past 165°F, so check the chicken a few times during the cooking process.
I also built in a little fool-proof method for you in case you overcook your chicken a bit–the liquid mixture you cook the chicken in prevents the chicken from drying out 🙂 #yourewelcome
After testing SEVERAL different air fryer cooking methods for this shredded chicken, the pie pan method is by far the best and CLEANEST way to do it.
Not only does the liquid in the pan keep the chicken moist, the pan makes cleanup hassle-free!
You certainly can, as long as they are not too big and can fit in the pie pan. We didn’t test this recipe with bone-in chicken breasts but adjust the time up in 3-5 minute increments until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165°F.
In a Dinner Rut?
Grab your 7-Day Meal Plan + 3 Bonus Recipes!
Chicken Recipes You’ll Love
Perfect Air Fryer Shredded Chicken
- 2-3 medium boneless skinless chicken breasts See Note 1
- 1 tsp ground mustard
- 1 tsp sea salt or kosher salt
- 1 tsp lemon pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil or avocado oil
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- Prep: Pat chicken breasts dry with paper towels and place them on a plate. Sprinkle ground mustard, salt, and lemon pepper evenly over both sides of the chicken breasts.
- Mix: In a small bowl, whisk the olive oil, red wine vinegar, and Dijon mustard. Set aside. Place chicken breasts in the pie pan and pour olive oil mixture over the top.
- Air Fry: Place the pie pan into your air fryer basket. Air fry at 370°F for 13-15 minutes. Flip, and cook 7-8 minutes more or until internal temperature reaches 165°F.Note: Your cooking time will vary based on the thickness of your chicken breasts. Also, different air fryers cook at slightly different rates, so be aware of that the first time you make this chicken recipe.
- Remove: Carefully remove the pan from the air fryer. Using two forks, shred the chicken into small pieces. You can transfer the cooked chicken to a cutting board to shred, or shred it right in the pan.
- Mix + Air Fry: Once the chicken is shredded, place it back into the pan and mix well to coat with the oil mixture. Air fry at 370°F for two minutes more. Serve and enjoy!
- Use a disposable pie pan for quick and easy cleanup!
- Chicken breasts vary in size and thickness and may cook and slightly different rates. The best way to test if the chicken is done is with a . The temperature should be 165°F when the thermometer is inserted into the thickest part of the breast.