This easy pico de gallo recipe is loaded with fresh flavors from tomatoes, lime juice and cilantro. It’s so simple to make and it’s always a crowd-pleaser!
This post may contain affiliate links which means I may earn a small commission when you click on the links and make a purchase. I will never recommend a product that I don’t support 100%. You can read my full disclosure here.
There is NOTHING like fresh salsa. When you’re at a Mexican restaurant, the salsa can make break the place, am I right??! If the chips and salsa come to the table and the salsa is terrible, I literally want to walk out! LOL! Salsa is the backbone of all good tex-mex!
This simple pico de gallo is so easy to make! And wait until you see my secret for getting everything cut perfectly! ((Here’s my secret weapon right here!))
Can’t get enough dips?! Try my Cheesy Bacon and Corn Crack Dip, too!
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS RECIPE
- It’s fresh, healthy and full of flavor!
- It’s super versatile! You can use this pico de gallo recipe on so many different things!
- It’s vegetarian, vegan, gluten free and nut free!
- It’s very simple to make--just a few basic ingredients.
You’ll need the following ingredients to make this delicious Pico de Gallo:
Tomatoes: As much as I LOVE the flavor of fresh on the vine tomatoes, using only this type of tomato will yield a very watery salsa unless you take a lot of time to get the water out. I don’t have time for that! So my trick is to use a combo of vine-ripe tomatoes and roma tomatoes. Roma tomatoes have a much lower water content and hold up well.
Onion: I know most recipes call for white or yellow onion but red onion is SO SO delish! Not to mention, pretty 🙂
Jalapeno: I seed the jalapeños, but leave in some of the ribs (white part inside) for a little heat. Use your own discretion on how much heat you want! If you want almost no heat, use 1 jalapeno, and be sure to seed it and cut out the white part.
HOW TO MAKE PICO DE GALLO: STEP BY STEP
Here are some quick visual instructions. Remember that full instructions with exact ingredients will be in the recipe card below! This recipe is as easy as 1, 2….
Step 1: Get all of your ingredients into the bowl.
Step 2: Toss gently, taste and season with more salt, if necessary. refrigerate at least 15-30 minutes to allow the flavors to marry.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
As much as I LOVE the flavor of fresh on the vine tomatoes, using only this type of tomato will yield a very watery salsa unless you take a lot of time to get the water out. I don’t have time for that! So my trick is to use a combo of vine-ripe tomatoes and roma tomatoes. Roma tomatoes have a much lower water content and hold up well.
This salsa will last up to 3-4 days in the fridge, covered tightly.
Tomatoes do not freeze well. Although it’s possible to freeze it, the texture will change and the tomatoes will become mushy, so I don’t recommend it.
Besides the OBVIOUS (chips), it’s good on tacos, burritos, quesadillas, and “dressing” for burrito bowls! It’s also a great topping for my Ultimate Air Fryer Nachos! It’s perfect spooned over grilled chicken, too! Stir a few tablespoons into guacamole for a touch of freshness.
RECIPE TIPS & TRICKS
- Finely chopping all the ingredients makes it super easy to eat…no giant chunks of tomato anywhere! I swear by this chopper thingy to make my pico! It’s so easy and everything comes out perfectly uniform and even. This chopper is a staple in my kitchen!
- Pico de Gallo is delicious right when you stir everything together. However, it’s nice to cover it and refrigerate for about 30 minutes before serving to let all the amazing flavors marry together.
OTHER RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a Star Rating ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ below or tag @get.on.my.plate on Instagram! I really appreciate–it helps me out so much! Also, please SUBSCRIBE HERE and follow me on INSTAGRAM, FACEBOOK and PINTEREST!
Easy Pico de Gallo
- 5 cups tomatoes, diced (about 6-8 medium tomatoes) See Note 1
- 1/2 cup red onion, diced
- 1/4 cup cilantro, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup jalapeno, diced (or one large jalapeno) See Note 2
- 1/4 cup lime juice (about 2 limes)
- 1 1/2 tsp salt, more to taste
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl.
- Toss gently to combine. Add more salt to taste.
- Cover and refrigerate 15-30 minutes to allow flavors to marry.