This Creamy Pesto Gnocchi with Lemon is on the table, start to finish, in less than TEN MINUTES! Ten! Full of flavor, filling and the perfect weeknight meal!
Warm and comforting and FULL OF FLAVOR, this quick pesto gnocchi really packs a serious punch!! In this recipe, we take some help from the store with store bought pesto and gnocchi (because who really has time to MAKE gnocchi?!).
The key is picking a pesto you really love and not leaving out the key ingredient– LEMON ZEST! It really adds a punch of freshness and lightens up the rich flavors. This dish is perfect paired with a glass of light Pinot Grigio!
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS RECIPE
- Dinner in 10 minutes?! Do I need to say more?!
- It uses very few ingredients–most you will have in your house already!
- Pairs perfectly with a light white wine and my Simple Arugula Salad 🙂
You’ll need the following ingredients to make this delicious Creamy Pesto Gnocchi with Lemon:
Gnocchi: Any pre-packaged uncooked gnocchi is fine!
Pesto: Store bought pesto makes this dish come together SUPER quickly! However, if you want to whip up a batch of my quick, (5 minute) Basil Arugula Pesto to use in this dish, you will NOT BE SORRY!
Heavy Cream: I do not recommend substituting half and half or regular milk because when you heat it, these milks with less fat, tend to separate and not look so great. The recipe only calls for 1/2 cup of cream but if you want to lighten it up, feel free to add more stock and just a touch of cream. It’s delicious either way!
HOW TO MAKE CREAMY PESTO GNOCCHI WITH LEMON STEP BY STEP
- Step 1: In a skillet, whisk together pesto, chicken stock and cream.
- Step 2 & 3: Add gnocchi and cook 2-3 minutes.
- Step 4: Turn off the heat and stir in parmesan and lemon zest. DONE!
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
This simple arugula salad dressed with lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper is the perfect accompaniment to this dish! Caesar salad is great too but I love the lightness of the arugula salad to balance out the richness of this dish.
Yes! Cook recipe as written, then cool and store in an airtight freezer container. When you are ready to have this dish again, thaw overnight, then add to a skillet and reheat it with a little chicken stock to loosen up the sauce. Top with extra lemon zest, parmesan cheese and a squeeze of lemon juice.
This dish will store in an airtight container in the fridge for about 3 days. To reheat, add a little chicken stock to loosen up the sauce. Reheat in a skillet or for a minute or so in the microwave.
RECIPE TIPS & TRICKS
- Your favorite store bought pesto works great for busy weeknights and helps this dish come together in minutes! However, if you have an extra 5-10 minutes or can make it ahead, my Basil Arugula Pesto in this dish is fantastic!
- This pasta is PERFECT with chicken! To make it quick, I’ll often add in leftover grilled chicken or rotisserie chicken.
- The sauce thickens up super quick due to all the starch in the gnocchi. If you find it’s too thick, just add a bit more chicken stock or cream to loosen it up.
- You can absolutely substitute a dry white wine for the chicken stock. Just cook the sauce a bit longer to allow for the alcohol to evaporate.
OTHER PASTA RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a Star Rating ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ below or tag @get.on.my.plate on Instagram! I really appreciate–it helps me out so much! Also, please SUBSCRIBE HERE and follow me on INSTAGRAM, FACEBOOK and PINTEREST!
Creamy Pesto Gnocchi with Lemon
- 1 17 oz. package uncooked gnocchi See Note 1
- 1/3 cup prepared pesto or this easy homemade Basil Arugula Pesto
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1/4 cup parmesan
- To a pan over medium heat, add pesto, chicken stock and heavy cream. Bring to a bubble, then add in gnocchi.
- Cook, stirring occasionally for 2-3 minutes until gnocchi is cooked through and sauce begins to thicken (See Note 2).
- Turn off the heat and stir in parmesan and lemon zest. If sauce seems a bit thick, add in a splash of chicken stock.
- Season with fresh ground pepper and salt (as needed) and serve immediately.