This Simple Arugula Salad recipe isn’t even really a recipe! It’s ridiculously simple and a super easy side dish that complements almost any main course! Arugula is tossed with the bright, simple flavors of lemon and olive oil, then topped with shaved Parmesan cheese. Your go-to salad is ready in about 5 minutes!
This post may contain affiliate links which means I may earn a small commission when you click on the links and make a purchase. I will never recommend a product that I don’t support 100%. You can read my full disclosure here.
This salad has been a staple in my home for years! It’s perfect when you are too lazy/busy to make a fancy side dish, but need some freshness with your meal. It’s fantastic along side heavier pasta dishes and grilled meats. Grilled steak and this light, arugula salad is one of our favorite summertime low carb dinners! It’s also the perfect complement to my Instant Pot Chicken Thighs and Potatoes!
I feel a little guilty because this “salad” really isn’t even a recipe! When I make it, I throw some baby arugula into a bowl, squeeze on some lemon juice, drizzle some olive oil and sprinkle on salt, pepper and parmesan cheese. No measuring needed!
My hope is that once you make it a few times, you won’t have to think about the measurements, either! But for now, I’ve included all the measuring info you need in the recipe card below. 🙂
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS RECIPE
- It’s a super quick and easy side dish that complements so many different dishes.
- It’s healthy! Arugula is packed with vitamins and minerals.
- The flavors are light and bright and are great as an addition to heavier dishes like pasta and red meat.
- You don’t even really need measurements or a recipe–it’s hard to mess up!
You’ll need the following ingredients to make this delicious, Simple Arugula Salad. Since there are so few ingredients, high quality ingredients (like excellent extra virgin olive oil) will really make this salad special:
Arugula: I get baby arugula whenever I can. The leaves are smaller and more tender and the flavor of baby arugula seems to be a bit more mild.
Olive Oil: This ingredient can really shine in this arugula salad, so use good quality extra virgin olive oil if you can!
Parmesan Cheese: I like shaving my parm right on top of the salad with a vegetable peeler. However, grated parmesan works great too!
HOW TO MAKE A SIMPLE ARUGULA SALAD: STEP BY STEP
Here are some quick visual instructions. Remember that full instructions with exact ingredients will be in the recipe card below. There is NOTHING to this recipe, friends!
Step 1: Make the “dressing” by whisking together lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper.
Step 2: Toss arugula with dressing.
Step 3: Shave fresh Parmesan cheese over the top and serve immediately.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Yes, arugula holds up well in the fridge. However, I would recommend storing the dressing and arugula/parmesan separately if you want it to last more than a day.
The beauty of this salad is that it complements so many main dishes! My two favorite main courses this compliments are:
1. Pasta: Especially heavier pastas like ravioli or lasagna.
2. Grilled meats: The perfect light, summer supper is grilled steak, fish or chicken with this salad on the side!
3. Instant Pot or Crockpot meals like my Instant Pot Chicken and Potatoes.
If you don’t like arugula or can’t find it at the store, I have made a list of 11 delicious substitutes here.
I love the simplicity of this salad, but some great additions are: cubed buffalo mozzarella, cherry tomatoes, and a drizzle of balsamic glaze. Also, if you want to tone down the acidity of the lemon juice, adding a couple of teaspoons of honey to the dressings works well.
RECIPE TIPS & TRICKS
- Since there are so few ingredients in this salad, quality really matters! Using good quality extra virgin olive oil and freshly grated Parmesan can really elevate this salad!
- You can also serve the arugula topped with Parmesan cheese at the table with the dressing on the side, so guests can use their desired amount.
- I personally love the tangy, bright flavor of lemon juice but if you want to tone down the acid a little, whisk in two teaspoons of honey into your dressing.
- Swapping out the parmesan for cubed buffalo mozzarella is just delish! If you have any bottled balsamic glaze on hand, drizzle some over the top, too!
OTHER ARUGULA RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a Star Rating ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ below or tag @get.on.my.plate on Instagram! I really appreciate–it helps me out so much! Also, please SUBSCRIBE HERE and follow me on INSTAGRAM, FACEBOOK and PINTEREST!
Simple Arugula Salad
- 5-6 cups baby arugula, loosely packed
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp fresh cracked pepper
- Parmesan cheese freshly grated/shaved, if possible!
- In a small bowl, whisk together lemon juice, salt, pepper and olive oil. Set aside.
- Arrange arugula into a medium sized serving bowl. Toss with dressing.
- Shave or grate fresh parmesan cheese over the top and serve immediately.
Leave a Reply