Once you make this Perfect Orzo Salad, it will be on your rotation ALL THE TIME!! Orzo is tossed with sun dried tomatoes, kalamata olives and fresh herbs, then dressed with a tangy, lemony dressing. You will LOVE this!!!
If there is one thing I am asked to bring to a party (especially backyard BBQ’s!) it is this Perfect Orzo Salad! It’s such a fresh take on regular old pasta salad (which I LOVE, by the way!!) because it’s loaded with fresh herbs and a lemon-based dressing.
It’s a fantastic side dish with pretty much any meat/protein, but it also makes a perfect light meal…enjoyed with a glass of crisp white wine!
Related: Best Wines Under $20
What’s the best way to make this Orzo Salad?
The “order of operations” is simple:
- Boil water and cook orzo
- While the orzo is cooking, make the dressing
- Drain orzo, rinse under cool water and allow to cool
- While orzo is cooling, chop herbs, sun dried tomatoes and olives and add to a large bowl.
- Add in cooled orzo, toss with dressing (and parmesan if you’re using it) and you’re good to go!
Recipe notes & tips
- Don’t waste the oil that comes with the sun dried tomatoes! Toss a little in the dressing, in place of some of the olive oil!
- There are so many yummy things you can add to this salad! Some of my faves include: artichoke hearts (chopped), cherry tomatoes (halved) and cucumber (diced).
- Start by adding about half the dressing, toss and taste. Continue adding dressing until it’s to your liking. I typically use ALL the dressing!
- If you are making this ahead of time, reserve a little of the dressing to toss in the salad right before serving.
- This Orzo Salad keeps in the fridge beautifully! You can store it, covered for up to 5 days.
Other recipes you’ll love
- AIR FRYER ROAST POTATOES WITH CHIPOTLE MAYO
- ONE PAN CHICKEN WITH CHERRY TOMATOES
- PERFECT AIR FRYER BBQ CHICKEN
Will you make this Perfect Orzo Salad?? If you do, please be sure to rate it and tag me @get.on.my.plate in Instagram--I’d love to see your creations!!
Perfect Orzo Salad
For the salad
- 1 lb package orzo
- 1 8 oz jar sun dried tomatoes in oil (about 1/4 to 1/2 cup)
- 1 12oz jar kalamata olives, sliced
- 1/2 cup basil leaves, chopped
- 1/2 cup mint leaves, chopped
- parmesan cheese, to taste optional
For the dressing
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- salt to taste
- Boil orzo according to package directions (usually about 9 minutes).
- While the orzo is cooking, make the dressing. Whisk lemon juice, red wine vinegar, olive oil and honey. Season with salt.
- Drain orzo and allow to cool.
- In a large bowl, toss orzo with the dressing**, sun dried tomatoes, olives, basil and mint.
- Stir in some parmesan cheese, if you like!
- Cover and refrigerate until you are ready to serve.