This Mexican Spaghetti Recipe (AKA: Taco Spaghetti) is a great way to spice up your taco night! All the flavors of both tacos and spaghetti are combined in this perfectly easy weeknight dinner that’s ready in less than 30 minutes! The whole family will LOVE this one!
The first time I made this dish, my daughter said the next day: “When are you making that Mexican spaghetti again??” If you have teens you know compliments are few and far between so you know this recipe is GOOD! LOL! #teenapproved
This Mexican spaghetti (or call it taco pasta) has all the delicious flavors of both tacos AND pasta…right in one pan! Unlike traditional spaghetti, in this dish, spaghetti noodles are tossed in a slightly spicy and flavorful Mexican spaghetti sauce that will shake up your pasta or taco night!
Even your picky eaters will love this dish! And it’s ready in less than 30 minutes! If you need other “picky eater” recipes, be sure to try my Creamy Garlic Parmesan Chicken Pasta, my Chicken Spaghetti with Rotel and Velveeta and my Easy Pizza Tortilla Wraps! #kidapproved #teenapproved
Need spaghetti with a little spice? You have to try my Creamy Cajun Spaghetti with Chicken!
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS RECIPE
- Super easy recipe and very family friendly!
- Ready in 30 minutes or less!
- Spice level can be adjusted.
- Leftovers are so delish the next day!
You’ll need the following ingredients to make this delicious Mexican Spaghetti Recipe:
Ground Beef: I like using a lean ground beef for this dish so you don’t have to drain any grease! I look for 90% lean or more.
Chipotles in Adobo: These can be found in the Mexican or Latin section. They are just smoked jalapeños that are canned in tomato sauce and spices. This recipe calls for one jalapeño plus some of the delicious adobo sauce that they’re canned in.
HOW TO MAKE MEXICAN SPAGHETTI (TACO SPAGHETTI): STEP BY STEP
Here are some quick visual instructions. Remember that full instructions with exact ingredients will be in the recipe card below!
Step 1: Brown your ground beef along with the onion; season with taco seasoning.
Step 2: Add tomato sauce, chipotles + adobo sauce, diced green chilis, sugar and oregano.
Step 3: Turn down heat and stir in sour cream.
Step 4: Last, add cooked spaghetti and half of the cheese. Toss to combine. To serve, top with remaining cheese and green onions/cilantro, if you like!
RECIPE TIPS & TRICKS
- Freshly grated cheese off the block melts so nicely into the pasta. If you are short on time, bagged cheese is fine, but if you have an extra moment, grate it fresh!
- Make sure heat is turned down to LOW when you add the sour cream, otherwise it has a tendency to curdle or separate.
STORAGE & REHEATING
- Storing Leftovers: Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- Freezing: This cooked pasta dish can be frozen! If possible, leave out the cheese if you are freezing this dish. I like cooling it completely, then adding pasta to a large zip top bag and storing it flat in the freezer. Spaghetti can be frozen for up to a month.
- Reheating from frozen: To reheat from frozen, thaw overnight in the fridge. Then add pasta into a large pan or dutch oven along with a splash of beef stock (or water) and heat over medium until heated through.
- Reheating from the fridge: Leftovers are great reheated in a large pan or dutch oven along with a splash of beef stock (or water). Heat over medium until heated through.
ADDITIONS AND SUBSTITUTIONS
- Additions: Here are some great things you can add to this Mexican spaghetti:
- Black beans
- Green pepper or red pepper
- Chili powder: Add 1-2 teaspoons for a little more spice!
- Velveeta cheese: Stir it right in at the end! Super cheesy and creamy!
- Substitutions: Here are some things you can substitute for:
- Chipotles in Adobo: The actual chili is quite spicy so to tame the spice, remove the seeds OR omit the chili and just add the adobo sauce. The sauce is a lot more mild but will still give you that amazing smokey flavor.
- Ground Beef: Ground turkey or ground chicken work great!
- Sour Cream: Full fat Greek yogurt works great!
- Spaghetti: Any shape pasta works here! Use your fave!
- Cheese: You can’t go wrong– I love sharp cheddar but feel free to use a Mexican blend, mild cheddar or or even Parmesan cheese.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
OTHER EASY RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a Star Rating ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ below or tag @get.on.my.plate on Instagram! I really appreciate–it helps me out so much! Also, please SUBSCRIBE HERE and follow me on INSTAGRAM, FACEBOOK and PINTEREST!
Mexican Spaghetti (Taco Spaghetti)
- 1 lb. spaghetti noodles
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small or medium onion (about 1 cup), diced white or yellow onions
- 1 lb. lean ground beef 90% lean or more
- 1 1/2 tbsp low sodium taco seasoning or one packet
- 2 15 oz. cans tomato sauce
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 chipotle in adobo + 1 tablespoon adobo sauce
- 1 4 oz. can diced green chilies
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese or your favorite shredded cheese!
- 1/2 cup sour cream low fat or full fat
- green onions, cilantro, sliced black olives for garnish optional
- In a large pot, boil spaghetti noodles to al dente, according to package directions.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add olive oil. When oil is hot, add onion and cook 2-3 minutes until soft.
- Add ground beef and season with taco seasoning. Cook beef 2-3 minutes (until browned), breaking the meat up as it cooks. Pro Tip: Using a potato masher when the meat is about halfway cooked works great at getting the meat broken up nice and fine 🙂
- To the "taco meat", add tomato sauce, diced green chilis, chipotle chilis + adobo sauce, sugar and oregano. Stir to combine.
- Bring sauce to a boil, then turn heat down to medium-low and simmer sauce 5-10 minutes until all flavors are combined.
- Turn heat down to LOW and stir in sour cream (make sure the heat is LOW otherwise the sour cream has a tendency to separate).
- Last, add your cooked pasta and half of the shredded cheese (save the other half for sprinkling on top!). With tongs, toss everything until spaghetti is well combined with the sauce and cheese is melted.
- Serve immediately and top with remaining cheese + green onions/cilantro/sliced black olives if you like!