These Crockpot Hawaiian Chicken Tacos will shake up your taco night! Tender, juicy chicken is cooked in the crockpot then topped with a delicious, creamy chipotle slaw. Fresh pineapple adds the perfect amount of sweetness! This recipe will be in your weekly dinner rotation for sure!
I have really never met taco I didn’t like. From the straight-up hard-shell ground beef tacos I grew up with, to gems I created like these Crockpot Buffalo Chicken Tacos to these amazing Spicy Ground Pork Tacos with Cilantro Slaw! And other forms of tacos??? YES PLEASE! Like this Traditional Taco Casserole or even this Slow Cooker Taco PASTA!!! Yep, me and the taco are pretty darn tight!
In this recipe, I combined my favorite place on earth (HAWAII!) with my favorite food on earth (TACOOOOOOOS!!) and thus, the Hawaiian Chicken Taco was born! And of course I had to make it easy and simple, but FULL OF FLAVOR!
How to make Crockpot Hawaiian Chicken Tacos: The Game Plan
I love giving you a “game plan” or “order of operations” to make recipes come together super quickly and help you make the best use of your time.
- Chop red onion and pineapple. Add it into the crockpot along with the chicken and seasonings.
- While crockpot is going, chop cilantro and add it to a bowl with the slaw/cabbage.
- Whisk together dressing ingredients; refrigerate along the the slaw/cilantro.
- After chicken is cooked and shredded, toss about half the dressing with slaw. Reserve some of the dressing for drizzling!
- Heat tortillas in microwave. Then pile on chicken, slaw and pineapple onto each tortilla. Drizzle with dressing and a squeeze of lime!
Frequently Asked Questions
Can you use canned pineapple?
Sure! Throw some of the juice into the crockpot, too! Although I will admit, nothing beats fresh pineapple on the top when you’re assembling your taco!
What type of teriyaki sauce do I use?
It really doesn’t matter! I love the Trader Joe’s Soyaki, but any brand works! If you don’t have teriyaki sauce, just substitute in regular soy sauce.
What do I serve with Crockpot Hawaiian Chicken Tacos?
These tacos with the slaw are pretty heavy, so I usually just serve it with some chips and salsa! Other good options are:
- Black Beans
- Cilantro Lime Rice
- Mexican Corn
- Corn Salad
Recipe notes and tips
- The chicken from this recipe works great as a meal prep! Cook up a big batch of the chicken and meal prep it with some brown rice and the slaw for quick and easy weekday lunches!
- Chicken thighs are delicious with this too! No need to adjust the cooking time!
- For less heat, leave out the chopped chipotle chili and just use the adobo sauce.
Other recipes you’ll love
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a Star Rating ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ below or tag @get.on.my.plate on Instagram! I really appreciate–it helps me out so much! Also, please SUBSCRIBE HERE and follow me on INSTAGRAM, FACEBOOK and PINTEREST!
Crockpot Hawaiian Chicken Tacos
For the chicken
- 3-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (or about 1.25 lbs)
- 2-3 cups fresh pineapple, diced and divided
- 1 cup red onion, diced
- 1/4 cup teriyaki sauce
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 3 tbsp lime juice (or juice from 2 limes)
- corn or flour tortillas
For the slaw
- 4 cups cabbage or cole slaw mix
- 2 tbsp cilantro, chopped optional
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1-2 tbsp lime juice (or juice from one lime)
- 1 chipotle in adobo, chopped plus 1 tbsp of adobo sauce
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- To the crockpot, add chicken, onion, teriyaki sauce, cumin, smoked paprika, garlic powder , lime juice and 2 cups of the pineapple (reserve one cup for serving). Give everything a big stir and cook on HIGH for 3 1/2 to 4 hours or on LOW for 6-7 hours.
- While chicken is cooking, make the slaw dressing. Whisk together sour cream, milk, chipotle, adobo sauce, salt, cumin and lime juice. Taste and add more salt to your liking. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- When chicken is done cooking, carefully remove it from crockpot. With two forks, shred chicken then return it to crockpot. Give it a stir and coat chicken in all the delicious juices!
- When you are ready to serve, heat tortillas. I like to wrap 2-3 in a clean dish towel and heat them in the microwave for 15-30 seconds.
- Toss together coleslaw mix, cilantro (if using) and about 1/2 of the dressing. Reserve the other half of the dressing for drizzling on top of the tacos!
- To assemble tacos: top tortillas with chicken mixture, reserved pineapple, slaw and more of the slaw dressing, if desired! Add a squeeze of lime and enjoy!