This Quick and Easy Creamy Taco Recipe is going to be on your weekly taco night rotation! Just a few simple ingredients and about 15 minutes is all you need to make these easy, cheesy tacos the whole family will LOVE.
This post may contain affiliate links which means I may earn a small commission when you click on the links and make a purchase. I will never recommend a product that I don’t support 100%. You can read my full disclosure here.
When I can combine an amazing taco recipe that is quick, easy and that the whole family loves–it’s winner, winner taco dinner!
This easy recipe is a cross between regular ground beef taco meat and Rotel dip….you know, the cheesy melted Velveeta with the Rotel tomatoes that’s sooooo addicting?!
This recipe has simple ingredients, very little prep and it’s easy, cheesy taco deliciousness that will sure to be a family favorite!
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS RECIPE
- Perfect for busy weeknights— comes together in about 15 minutes!
- Super easy with very little preparation.
- Leftovers are great the next day!
- A great way to use up leftover taco meat
You’ll need the following ingredients to make these easy, delicious creamy tacos:
Ground Beef: Use lean ground beef-90% lean or more, if you can find it.
Velveeta Cheese: Velveeta brand cheese is the most popular, but the store brand works just fine, too.
Taco Seasoning: Make sure you buy LOW SODIUM taco seasoning (or make your own). This is very important because the Velveeta cheese has a decent amount of salt in it, and “regular” taco seasoning makes the dish too salty.
Diced Tomatoes with Green Chiles: Such as Rotel tomatoes. You can usually find other brands at the grocery store as well.
HOW TO MAKE THIS CREAMY TACO RECIPE: STEP BY STEP
Here are some quick visual instructions. Remember that full instructions with exact ingredients will be in the recipe card below!
Step 1: Brown beef in a large skillet. I love using a potato masher to get the meat nice and fine!
Step 2: Add in low sodium taco seasoning and stir to combine.
Step 3: Add tomatoes and cheese.
Step 4: Cook 6-7 minutes until cheese is completely melted and mixture begins to thicken a bit.
Step 5: Spoon meat mixture onto flour tortillas and top with your favorite taco toppings.
RECIPE TIPS & TRICKS
- Make good use of your time: while the meat is cooking with the tomatoes and cheese, take this time to chop up any toppings for your tacos!
- My all time favorite pro tip when cooking ground beef is to use a potato masher to get the meat broken up nice and fine.
STORAGE & REHEATING
- Storage: Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- Reheating: To reheat, you can either use the microwave or warm meat in a skillet over medium high heat for 3-4 minutes until heated through.
- Freezing: Cool meat mixture completely. Then transfer to a freezer bag. Seal tightly and freeze for up to 3 months. When you are ready to serve, thaw overnight in the fridge (or on the counter) and reheat according to instructions above.
ADDITIONS AND SUBSTITUTIONS
Additions: Here are so many great additions to this creamy taco recipe.
- Red or green pepper: Chopped bell peppers are great stirred into this dish! Add them when you season the taco meat.
- Beans: Pinto beans or a can of black beans add even more protein to this dish. Super yummy and hearty.
- Extra Green Chiles: Feel free to add an extra can of green chilis to the meat mixture for some extra flavor.
Substitutions: Make the following substitutions as needed!
- Cheese: Some people love the tang of cream cheese vs. the Velveeta. Feel free to substitute 4 oz. of cream cheese for the Velveeta. You can also stir in 2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese in place of Velveeta.
- Meat: Ground turkey is a perfect substitute for ground beef!
- Tacos Shells: Hard taco shells are also delish in place of flour tortillas.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
A side of refried beans, Spanish rice, along with chips and fresh salsa are all great paired with these tacos!
Here are four great ways you can turn these “tacos” into a whole other meal!
1. Dip: Add in 4-6 more ounces of Velveeta and make this a delicious hearty dip! Serve with lots of sturdy tortilla chips! Perfect for game day!
2. Taco Bowl: Add the creamy meat mixture, lettuce, tomatoes, onion and sour cream/Greek yogurt to a bowl and mix it all together for a low carb meal! Top it with crushed tortilla chips or corn chips and dig in, if you’re not counting carbs 🙂
3. Burritos: Add the meat mixture, rice and beans and all the taco fixins’ and wrap it into a giant burrito!
4. Creamy Chili: Add 2-3 cans of chili beans or pinto beans and make this a hearty, cheesy chili dish!
OTHER TACO RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a Star Rating ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ below or tag @get.on.my.plate on Instagram! I really appreciate–it helps me out so much! Also, please SUBSCRIBE HERE and follow me on INSTAGRAM, FACEBOOK and PINTEREST!
Quick and Easy Creamy Taco Recipe
- 1 lb. ground beef 90% lean or more, if possible
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 package of LOW SODIUM taco seasoning (See Note 1) about 3 tablespoons
- 1 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes with green chilis, drained of juices
- 4 oz. Velveeta cheese, cut into cubes or store brand
- 8 flour tortillas soft taco size or smaller
- garnishes: lettuce, tomato, red onion, sour cream, green onions and your other favorite toppings! optional
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add olive oil. Then add ground beef and cook, breaking up the meat as it cooks (about 2-3 minutes). Pro Tip: Using a potato masher when the meat is about halfway cooked works great at getting the meat broken up nice and fine 🙂
- When meat is cooked through, add taco seasoning and stir to combine. Note: If you aren't using lean ground beef, drain grease.
- Then, add diced tomatoes (juices drained) and Velveeta. Cook 6-7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until cheese is completely melted and mixture has thickened a bit.
- Spoon meat mixture onto flour tortillas, top with desired toppings and serve immediately!