This easy pizza bowl recipe is so much fun to make and can be customized however you like! It’s a super-fun take on traditional pizza night that is keto friendly and low carb as well!
This post may contain affiliate links which means I may earn a small commission when you click on the links and make a purchase. I will never recommend a product that I don’t support 100%. You can read my full disclosure here.
This post was updated on: June 7, 2021.
I could easily survive on pasta and pizza alone…and I like to keep things simple. Like my Easy Tortilla Pizza or Creamy Tahini Pasta with Lemon or my Roasted Pasta with Parmesan and Pepper. These low carb, keto-friendly pizza bowls are simple, but a fun way to change up pizza night!
Several pizza chains have recently debuted their low carb pizza or pizza bowls — I thought this was such a fun idea! If the kids can’t give up the crust, I’ll also show you can easy way to make them happy too!
As far as toppings, sky’s the limit with this recipe!! It all comes out in a delicious bowl of cheesy bliss. You really can’t go wrong.
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS RECIPE
- It’s low carb, keto friendly, gluten free AND can be made vegetarian!
- It’s such a fun twist on pizza night!
- This recipe is quick and simple! Definitely a 30 minute meal!
- With so many options to customize, everyone is happy!
- Everyone can have their pizza bowl exactly how they want it!
You’ll need the following ingredients to make these delicious low carb pizza bowls:
Toppings: I am showing sausage, peppers, and onions here, but sky is the limit! Whatever your faves are, go for it! Anything goes!
Sauce: To keep it keto-friendly, look for a low sugar sauce. Rao’s is my absolute favorite!
HOW TO MAKE PIZZA BOWLS: STEP BY STEP
Here are some quick visual instructions. Remember that full instructions with exact ingredients will be in the recipe card below!
Step 1: Brown sausage or other meat if using.
Step 2: To assemble pizza bowls, layer sauce…
Step 3: Then toppings…
Step 4: Then cheese!
Step 5: Repeat if you dare!!!! I like doing two big layers. Make sure you end with the cheese layer!
Step 6: Bake at 400 degrees to 15-20 minutes until cheese is bubbly and a little browned.
HOW TO MAKE PIZZA BOWLS WITH A CRUST
Here is how to make this recipe with the crust as the bottom layer. You will use refrigerated pizza dough, such as Pillsbury:
Step 1: Roll out pre made pizza dough. Using a pizza cutter, cut dough into (4) 3″ by 3″ pieces. Store remaining dough in plastic wrap for another use. Press dough pieces into the bottom of each ramekin.
Step 2: Then bake at 400 for 15-18 minutes until lightly browned.
Step 3: Allow dough to cool for a minute or two, then just follow instructions for pizza bowls above (layer sauce, toppings, cheese).
Step 4: Bake 10-15 minutes until cheese is bubbly.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Of course, topping choices are endless! Use whatever combos you like! Some of our faves are:
* Family Fave: Sausage/onion/pepper
* Hawaiian: Pineapple/bacon
* Veggie: peppers, onions, mushrooms, olives
* Kid’s: Pepperoni
No matter what your toppings,, layering works as follows:
TOPPINGS OF CHOICE
TOPPINGS OF CHOICE
Without the crust, heck yes! Just be sure to choose a marinara or pizza sauce that is low sugar. Our all-time favorite is Rao’s.
These pizza bowls keep fairly well in the fridge covered with foil for a day or two. You can easily reheat them in the microwave–about one minute on high is perfect 🙂 As far as the version with the crust, I would eat these straight away. The crust tends to get a bit soggy if it sits in the fridge for any amount of time, so I recommend enjoying them right out of the oven!
RECIPE TIPS & TRICKS
- If you are using sausage or another meat, I always like to brown the meat, then when it’s almost done, throw in my veggies and sauté them for a few minutes with the meat. It’s not necessary to cook your veggies beforehand, though–it just add another layer of flavor!
- For a nicely browned top, broil 1-2 minutes at the very end of baking.
OTHER RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
- EASY PIZZA TORTILLA WRAP
- TORTILLA PIZZA | TWO WAYS
- CREAMY PESTO GNOCCHI WITH LEMON (10 MINUTE RECIPE!)
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a Star Rating ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ below or tag @get.on.my.plate on Instagram! I really appreciate–it helps me out so much! Also, please SUBSCRIBE HERE and follow me on INSTAGRAM, FACEBOOK and PINTEREST!
Easy Pizza Bowls
- 2 cups pizza or marinara sauce
- 1-2 Sweet Italian sausages, casings removed See Note 1
- 2 cups "toppings" See Note 1
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 400.
- If using sausage or another meat that needs to be cooked, brown meat in a skillet over medium high heat.
- Start layering your bowls with about 2 tablespoons of each ingredient. Layer 1: Sauce, Layer 2: "Toppings." Layer 3: Cheese. Then repeat once: sauce, toppings, cheese.
- Bake in preheated 400 degree oven for 15-20 minutes until cheese starts to bubble and gets slightly browned on top. Optional: broil for last minute of cooking so the cheese gets nice and brown!
- Allow to cool for 3-5 minutes and enjoy!