These Rice Krispie Treats with Marshmallow Fluff will #levelup your Rice Krispie treats game! The combination of marshmallows PLUS creamy marshmallow fluff, make these the richest, most decadent Rice Krispie treats you’ve ever had! After having these, you won’t want to make them any other way!
Classic, traditional rice krispie treats were a staple at my house growing up! Now my kids all love them just as much as I did back in the day!
And what’s not to love?! These are such a fun, easy treat and make for an after-school snack or dessert. And I LOVE the fact they are no-bake treats!!! I am all about easy treats….like my Perfect Fudgy Boxed Brownies or my 5 Ingredient Oreo Blondies….doesn’t get much easier than that! For a bit of decadence, try my Caramel Rice Krispie Treats and for super easy, colorful treats, try these M&M Rice Krispie Treats!
For a festive holiday treat, don’t miss these Peppermint Rice Krispie Treats!
These cereal treats are a combination of marshmallow cream (also called marshmallow fluff) AND regular marshmallows….we’ll also add some vanilla and a pinch of salt to be fancy like that! The result is a gooey, sweet, rich, decadent treat that will be a big hit for the whole family!
You’ll never make “traditional” rice krispie treats again after making these!
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS RECIPE
- These cereal treats are an American classic recipe…just made better!
- Hands-down the best Rice Krispie Treats recipe!!
- More rich and decadent than old, original recipe for Rice Krispie treats!
- Easy to customize to make them fun and colorful!
You’ll need the following ingredients to make these amazing Marshmallow Fluff Rice Krispie Treats:
Rice Krispies: Kellogg’s Rice Krispies cereal is the industry standard but the generic brand also works just fine!
Sprinkles (optional): Totally optional to add some extra crunch and color!
HOW TO MAKE RICE KRISPIE TREATS WITH MARSHMALLOW FLUFF: STEP BY STEP
Here are some quick visual instructions. Remember that full instructions with exact ingredients will be in the recipe card below!
Step 1: Spray an 8×8 or 9×9 baking pan with nonstick cooking spray. In a large pot, melt 3 tablespoons of butter. Then add a bag of marshmallows (mini) and the entire 7-ounce or 7.5-ounce jar of marshmallow fluff.
Step 2: On low heat, stir, stir, stir until marshmallows are completely melted. Then, stir in vanilla extract and salt to the marshmallow mixture.
Step 3: Add crispy rice cereal and stir until everything is well combined. You can also stir in sprinkles here if you like!
Step 4: Transfer rice krispies mixture to a prepared square baking pan (8×8 or 9×9) and press the mixture into the pan. Top with more sprinkles if you like! Allow to rest for at least an hour before cutting into squares.
RECIPE TIPS & TRICKS
- Marshmallow fluff is STICKY! I use a spoon or rubber spatula to scoop it out of the container, then another spoon to scrape it into the pan.
- When heating the marshmallows and fluff, BE PATIENT. Keep the heat on LOW and stir often so the marshmallows don’t burn.
- Use a square baking pan (8×8 or 9×9) instead of a large pan (9×13)–you will get nice, thick treats this way!
- Customize your sprinkles with the season or holiday! For example, red and pink for Valentine’s Day, patriotic colors for the 4th of July, etc.
STORING THESE TREATS
- Storing: Store treats in an airtight container OR in a large Ziploc bag for up to 3 days at room temperature. You can also cover the pan tightly with aluminum foil or plastic wrap.
ADDITIONS AND SUBSTITUTIONS
Cereal: This homemade rice crispy treats recipe is also DELISH with Fruity Pebbles or Coco Pebbles instead of the plain Rice Krispie cereal!
Flavored Marshmallow Fluff: How amazing would these treats be with this strawberry-flavored marshmallow fluff?!
Stir Ins: Fun sprinkles and mini chocolate chips are super yummy! I have even heard of people stirring in BACON BITS, but that remains untested in my kitchen!
Chocolate: A drizzle of chocolate sauce or melted chocolate over the top takes them…well, OVER THE TOP!!!
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Also called marshmallow creme, this “fluff” comes in a jar and tastes basically like melted marshmallows. However, there is also corn syrup, sugar, and egg whites added in which just enhances the flavor and texture of these treats and takes them over the top!
Chances are, if your treats are hard, the marshmallows were melted too quickly and they hardened. Be patient and melt the marshmallows on low or medium-low heat so they slowly melt. Over low heat, it should take the mini marshmallow and fluff about 5-6 minutes to fully melt.
Marshmallows and marshmallow fluff are both sticky! Also, the ratio of marshmallow goodness to cereal goodness may be a little more than you are used to in the classic rice krispie treats recipe. This ratio yields the richest, most ooey, gooey decadent treats!
The secret is just to let the sit for at least an hour before cutting into squares and enjoying them, They’ll get less sticky as they cool.
Wait at least one hour before cutting these treats so they have time to cool and harden up a bit. If you simply can’t wait, pop them into the fridge so they’ll cool faster. 🙂
TOOLS FOR THIS RECIPE
OTHER SWEET TREATS YOU’LL LOVE
Rice Krispie Treats with Marshmallow Fluff
- 3 tbsp butter salted or unsalted butter
- 1 10 oz. bag of mini marshmallows
- 1 7 oz. jar of marshmallow creme/fluff
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp sea salt or kosher salt omit if using salted butter
- 6 cups of Rice Krispies cereal or generic brand
- sprinkles (optional)
- non-stick cooking spray
- Prep: Spray an 8×8 or 9×9 baking pan with non-stick cooking spray (you can also line the pan with parchment paper or wax paper, if you like). Set aside.
- Melt Marshmallows: In a large pot over *LOW HEAT*, melt 3 tablespoons of butter. Then add the bag of marshmallows (mini) and the jar of marshmallow fluff. I like using one spoon to scoop out the marshmallow fluff from the jar, then another spoon to help scrape the fluff off of the spoon into the pan!
- Continue to Melt Slowly: On low heat, stir, stir, stir until the marshmallows are completely melted. Be patient and keep the heat on low–it should take about 5-6 minutes! Make sure to stir often so the marshmallows don't burn or harden.When marshmallows are melted, stir in vanilla extract and salt. Turn off the heat.
- Add Cereal: To the melted marshmallows, add crispy rice cereal and stir until everything is well combined. You can also stir in sprinkles here if you like!
- Transfer to Prepared Baking Dish: Press cereal mixture into a prepared pan in an even layer. It helps to spray the back of a metal spoon or rubber spatula with cooking spray to help press the mixture into the pan without it sticking.Top with more sprinkles if you like! Allow treats to cool for at least an hour before cutting into squares.