These Air Fryer Sausage and Peppers are a quick and easy weeknight meal that comes together in about 30 minutes! Loaded with flavor from Cajun seasoning, then drizzled with tangy honey mustard… you won’t believe how easy this is!
This post may contain affiliate links which means I may earn a small commission when you click on the links and make a purchase. I will never recommend a product that I don’t support 100%. You can read my full disclosure here.
I case you’re new around here, you know I am obsessed with my Cosori 12 in 1 Air Fryer! It is literally the best kitchen “gadget” I have ever purchased. I make everything from perfect sides like my Air Fryer Roasted Potatoes with Chipotle Dipping Sauce or PERFECT Garlic Bread…..to amazing dinners like my Perfect BBQ Chicken… to breakfast and treats like Easy Biscuit Doughnuts or French Toast Sticks.
The air fryer does it all, friends! One of our favorite weeknight meals is this air fryer sausage and veggies! This meal can be easily adapted to be low-carb sausage and peppers and keto as well! Plus, there are so many options for serving!
How to cook Italian sausage in the air fryer
It doesn’t get much easier than this!
- Simply preheat your air fryer to 400 (or let it come to temperature for 3-5 minutes if there is no preheat setting on your air fryer).
- Lay the sausages in an even layer on the air fryer tray or basket.
- Cook for 20-25 minutes, flipping once halfway through for even browning. That’s it!
How to cook air fryer sausage and peppers: The Game Plan
I love giving you a “game plan” or “order of operations” to make recipes come together super quickly and help you make the best use of your time.
- Preheat air fryer to 400.
- Slice peppers and onions. Season with Cajun seasoning, salt and olive oil; toss.
- Spread peppers and onions on air fryer tray and top with sausages.
- While sausage and peppers are cooking, make the honey mustard.
- Flip sausages and give the peppers a toss/shake after about 10-12 minutes.
- Warm buns/rolls if using.
- Continue cooking for 10-15 minutes more until sausages are nicely browned and cooked through.
- Pile buns/rolls with one sausage, lots of peppers and onions, then finish by drizzling the honey mustard over the top.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Can you cook frozen sausages in the air fryer?
Absolutely! Just add about 10 minutes onto the cooking time (so 30-35 minutes total) to ensure they are cooked through and the internal temperature reaches 160 degrees.
If you are cooking frozen sausage with the peppers and onions, add the frozen sausages to the air fryer first. Cook for 15-20 minutes, then add the peppers and onions and give the sausages a flip. Continue to cook 10-15 minutes more until sausage is slightly browned and cooked through.
How do you serve air fryer sausage and peppers?
There are so many amazing ways to serve this simple dish! Here are a few of our favorites:
- Traditional: Pile the sausage, peppers and onions onto hot dog buns or crusty rolls, top with lots of the honey mustard and enjoy!
- Italian Style: Cut the cooked sausages into 1 inch pieces and add them along with the peppers to a skillet with your favorite marinara sauce and heat through. Serve over hot pasta with lots of Parmesan cheese.
- Italian Style 2.0: Follow the recipe for Italian Style above, but pile the sausage, peppers, and sauce onto a big crusty roll. Top with Provolone cheese then broil for 2 minutes until cheese is melted. Melty, messy deliciousness!!
- Low Carb & Keto Sausage and Peppers: Ditch the bun and just enjoy the sausage and peppers topped with the honey mustard or Parmesan cheese. I like cutting the sausages in 1-inch pieces for this version.
Are air fryer sausage and peppers healthy?
For the most part, yes. My Trader Joe’s Sweet Italian Sausages have 12 grams of fat each with 4 grams being saturated fat and about 200 calories per sausage. This is balanced with the super healthy peppers and onions, which are only seasoned with a bit of olive oil, salt and Cajun seasoning.
To make this dish more heart healthy, look for Italian turkey sausage vs. pork.
Recipe Notes and Tips:
- If you like your veggies crisp-tender, add the sausages to the air fryer first. Then, halfway through cooking, (about 10-12 minutes) add the veggies, give the sausages a flip and continue to cook for 10-12 minutes more.
Other recipes you’ll love
- AIR FRYER ROAST POTATOES WITH CHIPOTLE MAYO
- SIMPLE AIR FRYER FISH SANDWICH
- CREAMY TAHINI PASTA WITH LEMON AND GARLIC
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a Star Rating ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ below or tag @get.on.my.plate on Instagram! I really appreciate–it helps me out so much! Also, please SUBSCRIBE HERE and follow me on INSTAGRAM, FACEBOOK and PINTEREST!
Perfect Air Fryer Sausage and Peppers
- 5 Italian sausages (uncooked) See Note 1
- 2-3 bell peppers (any color!), sliced
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp Cajun seasoning
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 5 hot dog buns or crusty rolls (optional)
For the honey mustard drizzling sauce
- 2 tbsp mustard See Note 2
- 2 tsp honey
- Preheat Air Fryer to 400. If your air fryer doesn't have a preheat setting, just set it to 400 and let it come to temperature for 3-5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, toss sliced peppers and onions with olive oil, Cajun seasoning and salt.
- Spread veggie mixture onto air fryer tray or basket. I like to spread them in as even layer as possible, but it's not necessary.
- Place sausages right on top of peppers and onions.
- Air fry for 20-25 minutes until sausages are slightly browned and cooked through. Turn the sausages at the halfway point and give the peppers a little shake/toss for even browning.
- While sausage and peppers are cooking, stir together honey and mustard.
- Remove sausage and peppers from air fryer and place on top of buns/rolls (if using). Drizzle with a generous amount of the honey mustard.