This one pan chicken dish combines simple ingredients and is so satisfying! Serve it alongside orzo, pasta, rice or just some crusty bread to soak up the delicious juices!
Although I love chicken breasts, and use them so for so many recipes, my heart is with chicken thighs. The meat is tender and juicy, you never have to worry about them drying out. They cook up quickly, too!
This recipe is super easy to make, and great for both busy weeknights and a nice, comforting weekend dinner. If you make it during the week, use boneless chicken thighs, as they cook up more quickly. You will get maximum flavor with bone-in thighs, though!
Recipe Notes & Tips
- It’s best to cook this dish in a high sided skillet with a lid, like this one.
- Resist the temptation to turn the chicken too early! Wait at least 4 minutes until they are deep golden brown–maximum flavor!!
- Boneless, skinless chicken thighs also work great! They cook up really quickly!
- If you are using bone-in, skin on thighs, trim away excess skin with a pair of kitchen scissors.
- For prettiness, I love using heirloom cherry tomatoes. I get a huge tub from Costco, but the regular grocery stores carry them too!
What can you serve with this dish?
My go-to for this dish is orzo! Orzo is a hearty pasta, almost like rice, that is perfect to soak up the juices! If you don’t have orzo, any other small pasta work. Just serving it with just some crusty garlic bread is divine too!
Other Recipes You’ll Love:
- ROASTED PASTA WITH PARMESAN AND PEPPER
- BACON AND GARLIC FRIED RICE
- ONE PAN CHICKEN WITH SUN DRIED TOMATOES
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a Star Rating ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ below or tag @get.on.my.plate on Instagram! I really appreciate–it helps me out so much! Also, please SUBSCRIBE HERE and follow me on INSTAGRAM, FACEBOOK and PINTEREST!
One Pan Chicken with Tomatoes
- 4 bone-in, skin on chicken thighs See Note 1
- 1 pint or 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup kalamata olives, sliced slicing is optional
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup basil leaves, roughy chopped or torn and more for garnish
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- pepper, to taste
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Parmesan cheese, for serving
- 1 box orzo (optional, for serving)
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Trim chicken of excess skin. Season with salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- When oil is hot, place chicken, skin side down in the skillet. Cook for about 4 minutes, resisting the urge to turn too quickly! Wait until the chicken is a deep golden.
- Flip chicken to the second side and cook for an additional 3-4 minutes until that side is also golden brown. Flip again and return chicken to skin-side up.
- Add chicken stock to deglaze and cook for one minute.
- Add tomatoes, olives and basil. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Cover and cook 10-15 minutes until chicken is tender and cooked through.
- Garnish with more basil and serve with lots of parmesan cheese!