These Crockpot Buffalo Chicken Tacos are so simple to make, yet layer on so many delicious flavors and textures! The spicy buffalo chicken is simmered in the crockpot, then topped with a cool, crunchy (and EASY!) celery “slaw”. You have to make this!
Let’s be honest, I’ve never met a taco I didn’t like. Last month, I was semi-forced into trying a “famous” Jack in the Box taco….after 43 years of putting it off! Guess what? Yep. I LOVED IT. Taco Bell regular tacos? LOVE.
Call me low brow, but tacos are my THING and I love creating all kinds of tacos! I mean, what could go wrong?!
Throw flavors and textures you like into a tortilla and Voila! A new taco is born! This is exactly what I did with this recipe. I am obsessed with buffalo wings, so I basically threw everything you’d get in a giant plate of wings, into a taco. Sound good?! IT IS!!!
Delicious, spicy chicken, crunchy celery and sprinkles of creamy blue cheese……yesssss!!!!
What kind of buffalo sauce to use
I am a die hard fan of Frank’s Red Hot Buffalo Wing Sauce so that is all I use but you can substitute your favorite hot sauce as well. I was happy to recently discover that Frank’s now has a MILD version of the sauce, too!! Same exact flavor but kid-friendly!
Recipe notes & tips
- Make sure your chicken breasts are completely covered with sauce when you put them in the crockpot to ensure they stay nice and juicy and avoid drying out.
- For the juiciest chicken, try not to cook it in the crockpot for more than about 4-5 hours on high or 6-7 hours on low.
- When you take the chicken out of the crockpot, shred it with two forks until finely shredded. I have tried using a mixer to shred chicken, but frankly, two forks works just as well and I don’t have any extra things to clean!
- The celery “slaw” will keep crisp in the fridge for hours (and even overnight!) so you can make that ahead of time. If you are totally adverse to celery, cabbage works too--see all celery alternatives here.
- Don’t like blue cheese?? No worries! Leave it out all together or sub in your favorite cheese! No stress!!
How to store the buffalo chicken
This recipe makes A LOT of tacos! What I love doing is using half of the chicken for the tacos, then freezing the other half. I will either do more tacos the next week OR it’s fantastic on buns for buffalo chicken sandwiches! Serve it up with my Air Fryer Roast Potatoes and you have yourself another easy weeknight meal!
Other recipes you’ll love:
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a Star Rating ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ below or tag @get.on.my.plate on Instagram! I really appreciate–it helps me out so much! Also, please SUBSCRIBE HERE and follow me on INSTAGRAM, FACEBOOK and PINTEREST!
Crockpot Buffalo Chicken Tacos
For the tacos
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup Buffalo Wing Sauce See Note 1
- blue cheese optional for topping
- 12 flour tortillas for serving
- Place chicken breasts in the crockpot with the Buffalo Wing sauce. Make sure chicken is fully covered with the sauce. Cook on LOW for 4-5 hours or HIGH for 6-8 hours until meat can be shredded easily.
- While the chicken is cooking, assemble the celery "slaw." Whisk together sour cream, lime juice, milk and salt. Add in celery, onion and cilantro. Toss well and refrigerate until you're ready to assemble the tacos.
- When chicken is done cooking, carefully remove from crockpot. In a large bowl, shred the chicken with two forks until finely shredded. Return chicken back to the crockpot and stir well to coat with the sauce.
- Assemble the tacos: Warm tortillas in a hot skillet or in the microwave. Top tortillas with a couple of tablespoons of the chicken, celery slaw and a sprinkle of blue cheese!