Can you freeze rice krispie treats?? Why yes, you can! Here you’ll find the the best way to freeze this classic dessert…along with a few tips and tricks along the way!
CAN YOU FREEZE HOMEMADE RICE KRISPIE TREATS?
Good news! YESSSS, you can freeze rice krispie treats and they freeze up beautifully! I love making a big batch of my favorite homemade rice krispie treats and freezing half to enjoy at a later date. They thaw easily and make a quick, sweet treat!
CAN YOU FREEZE STORE-BOUGHT RICE KRISPIE TREATS?
Absolutely. Freezing store-bought treats is a great way to extend their shelf life. To store, remove the original packaging/wrapper. The freezing process is the exact same as it is for homemade treats. Simply follow the freezing directions below.
HOW TO FREEZE RICE KRISPIE TREATS: STEP BY STEP
Freezing leftover rice krispie treats is super easy! Just follow a few simple steps for best results:
Step 1: The first step is to cool the rice krispie treats to room temperature. This is very important to prevent any excess moisture when freezing.
Step 2: Cut treats into squares. You can also leave them whole, and cut them into individual pieces after they have been frozen. However, I prefer to store them already cut.
However, the official Kellogg’s website suggests stacking the cut treats between layers of wax paper or parchment paper. Then, placing them in an airtight container. This way is a bit less time-consuming, but I prefer individually wrapping my treats. Either way is fine–YOU DO YOU!
Step 4: Regardless of which method you use, label the bag or container with the contents and the date (I seem to always skip this step and ALWAYS regret it later!).
Tips for Cutting Treats
The best way to cut your crispy treats is to allow them to cool completely. Then, use a sharp knife lightly sprayed with cooking spray. Another way is to use a pizza cutter! Quick and efficient–you just might not get your cuts to look as pretty!
FREEZING TIPS & TRICKS
- Use fresh, quality ingredients: For the best quality and flavor, use fresh rice cereal when making rice krispie treats. Stale or old ingredients can affect the taste and texture of the treats, even after freezing. Also, I recommend Kellogg’s Rice Krispies cereal vs. other low-quality rice cereal. Quality of the ingredients matters! ((No one is paying me to say that, I have just used off-brands and they don’t taste quite the same!!! Just sayin’!)
- Allow the treats to cool: Before freezing rice krispie treats, make sure they have cooled to room temperature. This helps prevent excess moisture from forming after you wrap them. This can lead to poor texture when thawed as well as freezer burn.
- Wrap the treats tightly: When wrapping Rice Krispie treats for freezing, be sure to wrap them tightly in plastic cling wrap or aluminum foil. This helps prevent air from getting in and keeps the treats fresh. Store the wrapped treats in a zip-top freezer bag to further keep treats freezer-burn free!
- Label the container or bag: I am SOOO guilty of not doing this and I regret it every time! Be sure to label the container or bag with the date of freezing and the contents. This helps you keep track of how long the treats have been frozen and makes them easier to find in the freezer abyss!
HOW LONG CAN YOU FREEZE RICE KRISPIE TREATS?
The official Kellogg’s website says treats can be frozen for 6 weeks. However, if you go a little bit over that, it’s perfectly fine. For the best taste and quality, consume them before 2 months. Treats may develop freezer burn which will affect the taste and texture.
Did You Know?
Rice Krispie treats were created in the 1930s by a Kellogg’s employee who was trying to come up with a new use for the leftover cereal that wasn’t selling well! Crazy, right?! Now people buy Rice Krispie cereal JUST to make this classic American dessert!
THAWING THE TREATS
There are two ways to thaw these cereal treats:
- On the kitchen counter: Simply take your frozen rice krispie treats out of the freezer and place them on the counter to thaw at room temperature for an hour or so.
- In the microwave: Can’t wait?! Place a treat or two on a microwave-safe plate and heat on low power in 10-second intervals until thawed.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Absolutely. The chocolate freezes well. Note that the chocolate might discolor a bit in the freezer (or fridge), but that won’t affect the taste at all.
To freeze chocolate-covered rice krispie treats, follow the same guidelines for freezing regular treats: Allow to cool completely, wrap each treat tightly, and place in a freezer bag or tightly sealed container. Freeze for up to 2 months for best quality.
There generally isn’t any harm to refreeze rice krispie treats once they have been thawed. However, just note that refreezing can affect their texture and flavor.