This creamy chicken orzo with sun dried tomatoes and asparagus is an easy one pan chicken recipe that is on the table in less than 30 minutes!
If there is one thing I love, it’s a one pan/one pot meal. The only thing I MIGHT love more, are recipes without a lot of chopping! Can I get an AMEN?!!!
This recipe is both of those! The only chopping/prep that needs to be done is cutting the asparagus! The dish comes together in one pan and practically cooks itself–the hands-on time is very minimal. Which gives you more time to….pour yourself a glass of wine, sit back and let the stove work it’s magic, baby!!!
Need a wine recco?? Check out my Amazing Wines Under $20!
How to make Creamy Chicken Orzo: The Game Plan
I love giving you a “game plan” or “order of operations” to make recipes come together super quickly and help you make the best use of your time.
- Heat oil in pan/season chicken and place in pan.
- While chicken is cooking, chop asparagus and sun dried tomatoes (if necessary, some come already chopped).
- Add asparagus, sun dried tomatoes, orzo and stock to the pan.
- Cover and simmer 20-25 minutes.
- While the dish is simmering away, get out the parm, pour yourself a nice glass of white wine and relax!!
Recipe notes and tips
- Don’t like asparagus? Spinach works great here too! Just stir it in at the very end until it wilts.
- If you want to cut back on the oil, regular sun dried tomatoes (not packed in oil) work just fine!
- If you like your asparagus more on the al dente side, add it in during the last 3-4 minutes of cooking.
- Optional step at the end for super creamy orzo: Orzo itself contains a lot of starch and cooks up pretty creamy, especially when you add parmesan cheese. But stirring in a little cream at the very end definitely kicks it up a notch and makes it super rich and delish!
- Don’t have a big pan with a lid? Use a cookie sheet to cover your pan!
Other recipes you’ll love
- ONE PAN CHICKEN WITH CHERRY TOMATOES
- CROCKPOT BUFFALO CHICKEN TACOS WITH CELERY SLAW
- 10 AMAZING WINES UNDER $20
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a Star Rating ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ below or tag @get.on.my.plate on Instagram! I really appreciate–it helps me out so much! Also, please SUBSCRIBE HERE and follow me on INSTAGRAM, FACEBOOK and PINTEREST!
Creamy Chicken Orzo with Sun Dried Tomatoes and Asparagus
- 1.5 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 bunch asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 10-20 sun dried tomatoes in oil, roughly chopped if needed
- 1 cup orzo, uncooked
- 1 3/4 cups chicken stock
- 1/4 cup heavy cream, optional
- fresh basil and parmesan for serving, optional
- In a large skillet (with lid) on medium-high, heat 1 tablespoon of oil from the sun dried tomatoes.
- Season chicken on both sides with salt and pepper, add to pan.
- Sear chicken on both sides 3-4 minutes until nicely browned (they do not need to be cooked all the way through).
- Add sun dried tomatoes, asparagus, orzo and chicken stock to the pan and give everything a big stir. Make sure orzo is covered with chicken stock.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and cover.
- Simmer, covered, for 20-25 minutes until orzo is fully cooked and liquid is absorbed. If liquid isn't quite absorbed, uncover a cook a few minutes more.
- Optional step if you want super creamy orzo: Remove chicken from pan. Stir cream into orzo and veggies, allow it to heat through about 1-2 minutes more.
- Top orzo with basil and parmesan cheese (if using) and serve immediately with the chicken.