These Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats with Chocolate are delightful treats that combine the classic flavors of marshmallows, peanut butter, and chocolate in a whole new way. With every bite of this gooey treat, you’ll experience the perfect balance of sweet and salty flavors. The best part is this no-bake dessert comes together quickly with just a few simple ingredients.
This easy recipe is the ultimate upgrade to classic Rice Krispies treats. We’re giving this easy dessert a fun twist by adding chunky peanut butter and a layer of delicious chocolate for that ultimate sweet tooth experience!
So treat the chocolate peanut butter lovers in your life with a little slice of heaven! Prepare to indulge in a whole new level of sweet and chewy goodness that will have you coming back for seconds and thirds. The great thing is – you can double the batch and freeze Rice Krispies treats for instant gratification when the craving strikes.
For some holiday cheer, don’t miss these festive Peppermint Rice Krispie Treats!
You’ll need the following ingredients to make Peanut Butter Rice Krispies Treats with Chocolate:
Marshmallows: When melted, marshmallows serve as the primary binding and sweetening agent. It creates that sticky, gooey consistency that holds the Rice Krispies cereal together. Mini marshmallows are best, but large ones will work with extra melting time.
Rice Krispies cereal: Provides the base and texture for these treats. Crispy rice cereal adds a crunch and airy quality, making the Krispy treats light and enjoyable.
Peanut butter: This everyday pantry staple adds a creamy and nutty flavor to the treats. It also enhances the overall richness and adds a touch of saltiness to complement the sweet marshmallows. Crunchy peanut butter gives the best texture, but creamy peanut butter will work too. Make sure the peanut butter is at room temperature.
Chocolate chips: The chocolate chips are used to create a delicious chocolate drizzle on top of the cereal treats. The rich chocolate adds a touch of indulgence and contrasting flavor to the sweet and crispy base.
HOW TO MAKE PEANUT BUTTER RICE KRISPIE TREATS WITH CHOCOLATE: STEP BY STEP
Here are some quick visual instructions. Remember that full instructions with exact ingredients will be in the recipe card below!
Step 1: In a large saucepan over medium-low heat on stove top, melt butter. Add marshmallows to the melted butter and stir to combine well.
Remove from heat and stir in peanut butter until it is thoroughly mixed in.
Step 2: Pour marshmallow/peanut butter mixture over the Rice Krispies cereal. Stir well with a wooden spoon until uniform.
Step 3: Transfer the cereal mixture to your prepared pan. Press down gently with a fork or the back of the spoon to flatten the crispy treats and make a solid, even layer.
Set aside to cool.
Step 4: Meanwhile, prepare the chocolate layer. In a small, microwave-safe bowl, add the chocolate chips and the remaining butter. Melt in the microwave in 15 to 30-second intervals, stirring between increments until the chocolate is smooth.
Using a fork or small spoon, drizzle the melted chocolate over the Rice Krispie cereal treats. Cut into squares and enjoy!
RECIPE TIPS & TRICKS
- Coat the pan. Butter or spray a large pan (I used a 9 by 13-inch pan) with cooking spray before adding the Rice Krispies mixture. This will prevent sticking and make it easier to remove the crispy treats. You may also want to line it with parchment paper or wax paper for easy removal.
- Chill for best flavor. After drizzling the chocolate, pop the delicious treats in the fridge for about 15 minutes so the chocolate can set.
- Stir constantly. When melting the butter and marshmallow mixture, stir constantly to prevent them from burning or sticking to the bottom of the saucepan.
For best results, use fresh marshmallows. They will melt better and create a smoother texture. When in doubt, check the expiration date before using them.
STORAGE & REHEATING
- Storage: Store the chocolate peanut butter Rice Krispie treats in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 4 days. After that if you still have any, transfer them to the fridge to maintain freshness.
- Freezing: Wrap individual treats tightly in a plastic wrap and transfer to a freezer-safe bag. Seal, removing as much air as possible and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight at room temperature and enjoy!
Additions & Substitutions
- Nuts: Stir in chopped nuts such as almonds, pecans, walnuts, or peanuts for added crunch and flavor.
- Toppings: Consider other toppings like shredded coconut for a tropical twist or dried cranberries to give a holiday flair. Or a light dusting of sea salt over the layer of chocolate is always a good idea!
- Nut butter: Swap almond butter or cashew butter for peanut butter for a different flavor profile.
- Chocolate: Use semi-sweet chocolate chips or even dark chocolate chips for the chocolate lovers in your life. But don’t stop there. Try butterscotch or white chocolate chips for a different flavor.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Rice Krispies (or crisp rice cereal) is the star ingredient in traditional Rice Krispie treat recipe. But you can experiment and have fun with other cereal options such as Cocoa Krispies, Corn Flakes, or plain Cheerios.
Absolutely! You can easily scale this recipe to make as much (or as little) as you want. Just make sure to use an appropriately-sized baking dish to accommodate the increased quantity.
TOOLS FOR THIS RECIPE
TRY THESE NEXT…
Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats with Chocolate
- 4 tbsp salted butter, divided
- 1 10 oz. bag small marshmallows the larger marshmallows also work
- 1/3 cup crunchy peanut butter (at room temperature) can sub creamy peanut butter
- 6 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips
- Prep: Butter or spray a 9×13 baking pan. Set aside. Add Rice Krispies to a large bowl and set aside.
- Cook: In a large saucepan over medium-low heat, melt 3 tbsp of the butter. When butter is melted, add marshmallows. Stir until marshmallows are melted and combined with the butter. Remove from heat and stir in peanut butter until well-combined.Tip: When melting the butter and marshmallow mixture, stir constantly to prevent them from burning or sticking to the bottom of the saucepan. Keep the heat at medium-low.
- Combine: Pour marshmallow/peanut butter mixture over the Rice Krispies. Stir, stir, stir with a wooden spoon until well-combined.
- Transfer: Transfer mixture to your 9×13 baking pan. Press down gently with a fork or the back of your spoon until they are in an even layer. Set aside to cool.
- Prepare Chocolate: In a small, microwave-proof bowl, add the chocolate chips and remaining 1 tbsp of butter. Melt in the microwave in 15 seconds increments until you have smooth liquid chocolate.
- Drizzle: Using a fork or small spoon, drizzle melted chocolate over your Rice Krispie treats. This is optional, but I like to pop the treats in the fridge for about 15 minutes so the chocolate can set.Cut into squares and enjoy!