This Homemade Low Sodium Taco Seasoning recipe will have you hooked on making your own taco seasoning once you see how EASY it is! Make a big batch and use it to spice up your favorite taco recipes! It takes just a few minutes to throw together and will keep for up to a year! So what are you waiting for?! Taco Tuesday is calling!
This post may contain affiliate links which means I may earn a small commission when you click on the links and make a purchase. I will never recommend a product that I don’t support 100%. You can read my full disclosure here.
Taco night has got to be one of my FAVORITE dinner nights! While I love to mix it up with delicious taco recipes like these Crockpot Buffalo Chicken Tacos or these Spicy Ground Pork Tacos, some of my favorite tacos are just good old hard shell, ground beef tacos or these delicious ground chicken baked tacos.
I used low-sodium taco seasoning from the packet for YEARS (I always thought the “full” sodium seasoning was way too salty!)…until I found myself buying packet after packet every single week! I discovered it was so much EASIER, cost-effective, and healthier to make my own taco seasoning blend!
Once you have made taco seasoning homemade, and make my super easy taco recipe (with a secret ingredient), you’ll be hooked!
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS RECIPE
- The perfect blend of spices-– NO compromising flavor when you lower the sodium.
- SO MUCH less sodium than typical store-bought low sodium taco seasoning packets.
- Excellent option if you are watching your sodium intake, but still want to enjoy perfectly seasoned tacos!
- Zero “fillers” that most taco seasoning packets have (such as maltodextrin, corn starch and silicon dioxide).
- The heat level can be easily adjusted up or down for the perfect amount of spice!
You’ll need the following ingredients to make this Low Sodium HomemadeTaco Seasoning Recipe:
Chili Powder: Note that most chili powder does contain a little sodium, so keep that in mind. If you are on a strict low sodium diet, they do sell no-sodium chili powder as well.
Red Pepper Flakes: These are totally optional. The chili powder gives the seasoning a bit of heat, but it’s very mild. If you want a spicier version, add in the red pepper flakes.
Smoked Paprika: The smokey taste is just KILLER in this taco seasoning! You can use regular sweet paprika, but if you CAN, opt for smoked paprika–it’s SO good!
HOW TO MAKE LOW SODIUM TACO SEASONING: STEP BY STEP
Here are some quick visual instructions. Remember that full instructions with exact ingredients will be in the recipe card below!
Step 1: Not many steps in this recipe! Just combine all of your ingredients, then store in an airtight container! Voila! Done!
RECIPE TIPS & TRICKS
- This low sodium taco seasoning recipe makes enough to season about a pound of ground meat. I suggest doubling, tripling this recipe, or even quadrupling this recipe and storing it so you always have it on hand!
- I love combining all the spices in little mason jars like these! You can prepare and store your spice mixture right in the jar!
⭐️ CONFIDENCE TIP ⭐️
If there is a certain spice you like more than the others, feel free to add more of that! The beauty of cooking at home is you get the adjust the flavors to your personal preferences!
3 WAYS TO STORE HOMEMADE TACO SEASONING
- In a jar: My favorite way to mix AND store this DIY taco seasoning is in a little mason jar, Just combine all the spices in the jar, and give it a good shake. It will keep in the airtight jar for up to a year!
- In a glass or plastic container: You can also use airtight containers like this to store your taco seasoning.
- In a plastic baggie: If you know you’ll be using the taco seasoning within a couple of weeks, you can just store it in a plastic zip-top bag.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
The typical 1 oz (28g) package of taco seasoning you buy at the grocery store, contains 4 tablespoons of seasoning.
You only need about two tablespoons of this taco seasoning to season one pound of ground beef or turkey (or ground meat of choice!). I wrote the recipe to include a bit more than two tablespoons, so you can add more based on your preference!
This homemade low-sodium taco seasoning recipe has so much less sodium than even a low-sodium seasoning packet.
An entire package of a typical low-sodium taco seasoning (which is what you need to season 1 lb. of meat), contains roughly 1,500 mg of sodium. This homemade version contains just over 1,000 mg. Note: this is for the ENTIRE seasoning recipe and the ENTIRE packet of taco seasoning, not per serving so don’t be alarmed! 🙂
FAVORITE TACO RECIPES
Rate this recipe! I love your feedback!
Please SUBSCRIBE HERE and follow me on INSTAGRAM, FACEBOOK and PINTEREST!
Low Sodium Taco Seasoning
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp chili powder (chipotle chili powder would be delish, too!) no salt, if possible (See Note 1)
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano regular oregano or Mexican oregano both work great
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl.
- Use right away or pour into an air-tight container and store in a cool, dark place for up to 12 months.
- Use two tablespoons of the homemade spice mix to season one pound of taco meat. I always add 1/2 cup of low sodium beef broth to my taco meat along with another SECRET ingredient that makes the absolute BEST homemade tacos! You can get that super easy recipe here: How to Cook Taco Meat With Taco Seasoning.
This is a very good seasoning recipe, but I don’t think it is low in sodium. Though the whole recipe makes just over 2 tablespoons of seasoning you put in 1/2 teaspoon of salt, this would be anywhere from 880-1100 mg of sodium. If you use a low sodium salt it would still be 590 of sodium. I don’t understand where you get the 2 tablespoons are only 160mg in sodium.
Casey Rooney says
Hi, I noted 2 tbsp of seasoning would season 1 lb of meat. So the numbers are based on 1lb. of meat=4 servings. You wouldn’t eat the entire 2tbsp of seasoning unless you ate the entire pound of meat 🙂 Hope that makes sense. Most store-brand taco seasonings have 400+ ml of sodium in 2 tbsp, just for reference.
Awesome! thanks for this easy recipe. I like making spice blends because I usually already have all the spices anyways.
Loved this recipe! So easy and better than store bought. Thanks for another fabulous recipe!
This worked perfectly for our burrito bowls last night. I had all of these seasonings on hand too! I made a double batch and have leftover for another meal (or two.)
I can’t believe I ever used store bought packets! This taco seasoning was incredible and easy to make! Thanks!
Love how easy this is, and so much FLAVOUR!
Loved the recipe, It looks so easy to prepare and absolutely flavourful.
Shadi Hasanzadenemati says
My family is going to love this! Thank you for this amazing recipe.
This is such a perfect seasoning recipe!! Thanks for sharing!