These Chocolate Chip Marshmallow Cookies are the most perfect, soft chocolate chip cookie…then stuffed with creamy, sweet, gooey marshmallows and sprinkled with sea salt to take them over the top! So find a hiding place for these cookies because they’ll be gone before they’re even cool!
This post may contain affiliate links which means I may earn a small commission when you click on the links and make a purchase. I will never recommend a product that I don’t support 100%. You can read my full disclosure here.
If you know me, you know I am not a baker. I can cook, but baking just isn’t my strong suit. Too much measuring and preciseness for my taste! 🙂
So when I set out to create baked goods, the recipe ALWAYS has to be EASY or even semi-homemade. Like my 5 Ingredient Oreo Blondies or my Perfect Air Fryer Doughnuts. Both of these recipes use some pre-made ingredients to help this sister out! And if you want a super easy, crowd-pleasing dessert, my Cream Cheese Pie with Cherries or my No Bake Chocolate Peppermint Pie will never disappoint!
However, these cookies with marshmallow are actually made FROM SCRATCH! Gasp!!!! But they are SIMPLE and EASYYYY!!! Believe me, I would not create a recipe that wasn’t!
So whether you are a baking pro or scared of flour :), I promise, you will LOVE this recipe!
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS RECIPE
- These cookies are perfectly soft and chewy.
- Literally the PERFECT chocolate cookie that’s amped up with ooey gooey goodness (marshmallows!).
- A little something “extra” to jazz up your regular chocolate chip cookies.
- Super kid-friendly… they won’t last at your house!
You’ll need the following ingredients to make these delicious Chocolate Chip Marshmallow Cookies:
Butter: I am a SALTED butter gal, always have and always will be! I always use salted butter but if all you have us unsalted, no problem! It works just fine.
Chocolate Chips: Since the marshmallows add a little more sweetness, semi sweet chocolate chips work best.
Marshmallows You need the little guys for this recipe!
Brown Sugar: I typically use dark brown sugar because I love the rich flavor, but light brown sugar or a combo of both works just fine. There is NO white sugar in these cookies!
Sea Salt: This for for a little sprinkle of salt on the tops of the cookies. You’ll need a flakey or larger grain salt, not regular table salt.
HOW TO MAKE THIS RECIPE: STEP BY STEP
Here are some quick visual instructions. Remember that full instructions with exact ingredients will be in the recipe card below!
Step 1: With a mixer, cream together butter and sugar. Add eggs and vanilla and beat 1 minute more.
Step 2: Add flour and baking soda.
Step 3: With a wooden spoon, fold in chocolate chips and marshmallows.
Step 4: Form 2 tablespoon balls with the cookie dough and place 2 inches apart on a cookie sheet.
Step 5: Bake 10-12 minutes at 350 degrees until the tops are JUST starting to brown but the centers are still soft.
RECIPE TIPS & TRICKS
- Make sure the marshmallows are tucked INSIDE the cookie dough and not hanging out (see pic below). A little bit of marshmallow showing is fine, but if they hang out too much, they’ll ooze out and get all over your baking sheet instead of melted into your cookie.
- Make sure your butter is softened and not MELTED. Melted butter will make the cookies spread and make them thinner. This recipe is written to yield not too thick and not too thin cookies. It’s best to soften butter on the counter and let it get to room temperature. However, if you MUST microwave it, microwave in 10-20 increments on 30% power.
- I highly recommend silicone baking mats like these. They make clean up so easy and the cookies NEVER stick. They also help keep your baking sheets nice and pretty 🙂 Parchment paper works well, too.
- If you are bad at eyeballing amounts (like me), cookie scoops like these are great for measuring the perfect amount of dough.
- A little sprinkle of sea salt on the top before baking takes these cookies over the top! The tiny bit of salt also balances out the sweetness really well.
FREEZING & STORAGE
I actually don’t even know why I am adding this section because you will hardly need to worry about storing this cookies! They’ll be gone in a flash! But JUST in case….
Storage: Store these cookies in an airtight container or zip top bag for up to 3 days or in the fridge for up to a week…I promise you though, they won’t last half that long!!
You can also form the balls and store them in the fridge, unbaked for 5-7 days. That way you can pull a few out and have hot baked cookies in minutes!
Freezing: This cookie dough freezes up so well! Form the dough into balls, then place in a zip top freezer bag. Frozen dough will keep in the freezer for up to 2 months. When you are ready to bake, thaw at room temperature for a few hours or overnight.
If you are super impatient, you can bake them from frozen, but just add 3-5 minutes onto the baking time.
You can also freeze BAKED cookies in a freezer bag for up to one month. Defrost on the counter until cookies reach room temperature. You can warm them for a few seconds in the microwave or a few minutes in the oven to get they nice and warm again!
ADDITIONS & SUBSTITUTIONS
- Mini chocolate chips, butterscotch chips and dark chocolate chips are great substitutes for semi sweet chips.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Nope! The slightly larger amount of flour and only one stick of butter prevents the cookies from spreading too thin, so there is no need to chill the dough. However, chilling the dough does make it slighter easier to work with and form into balls. I usually pop the dough in the fridge while the first batch of cookies is in the oven.
These cookies are soft and chewy.
Most likely, you just didn’t tuck the marshmallows into the dough well enough. No biggie. They are still DELISH! However, next time, be sure to cover the marshmallows with the cookie dough a bit better (see photo above).
OTHER SWEET TREATS YOU’LL LOVE
- FIVE INGREDIENT VANILLA OREO BLONDIES
- EASY DOUBLE CHOCOLATE BANANA MUFFINS
- AIR FRYER BAKED APPLES WITH CINNAMON WHIPPED CREAM
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a Star Rating ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ below or tag @get.on.my.plate on Instagram! I really appreciate–it helps me out so much! Also, please SUBSCRIBE HERE and follow me on INSTAGRAM, FACEBOOK and PINTEREST!
Perfect Chocolate Chip Marshmallow Cookies
- 1 stick butter, softened or at room tempreture salted preferred but unsalted is OK, too!
- 2 cups brown sugar, light or dark
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp sea salt, for sprinkling
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup mini marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 350. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone mats (or spray generously with cooking spray).
- In a large bowl with a handheld mixer OR stand mixer bowl fitted with a paddle attachment on medium high speed, beat together butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla. Beat for about 2-3 minutes until nice and creamy. Scrape down the sides as you go.
- Add flour and baking soda. Beat at medium speed until the flour in just mixed in and the dough comes together (about 30 seconds). Don't overmix. It will be a stiff dough.
- With a large wooden spoon, fold in chocolate chips and marshmallows.
- With a large spoon or cookie scoop, form balls with the dough (approx. 1 1/2 to 2 tbsp) and place on baking sheet 2 inches apart. Make sure marshmallows are tucked into the dough and not hanging out otherwise they will ooze out and burn (see photo). Repeat with remaining dough.
- Sprinkle the top of each ball with a pinch of sea salt.
- Bake 10-12 minutes until cookies JUST start to brown on top, but the centers are still soft. Cookies will continue to cook after you take them out of the oven. Let the cookies cool on the cookie sheet for AT LEAST 10 minutes before transferring to an airtight container to store.