You’re going to love this Campbell’s Beef Consomme Rice recipe! Made with simple ingredients but big on flavor, this simple side dish will quickly transform your dinner table! It’s quick and easy to prep in all in one baking dish with the pantry staples you likely have on hand. It’s perfect to serve alongside baked chicken or steak!
You’ll need the following ingredients to make Campbell’s Beef Consomme Rice:
Beef Consomme Soup: Use canned Campbell’s beef consomme for the best flavor and consistent results every time. I can’t vouch for other brands, but you’ll only need one can of beef consommé, so make it a good one.
French Onion Soup: Another important ingredient to getting that rich flavor in this casserole dish is a can of French onion soup. Again, I used Campbell’s.
Long Grain Rice: A cup of uncooked white rice is all you need. I prefer white rice because it has a mild taste that absorbs the flavors of soup, offering an incredibly flavorful rice.
HOW TO MAKE CAMPBELL’S BEEF CONSOMME RICE: STEP-BY-STEP
Here are some quick visual instructions. Remember that full instructions with exact ingredients will be in the printable recipe card below!
Steps 1 & 2: In a 9×9 inch baking dish, add the beef consomme and French onion soup. Then, add onions, garlic powder, thyme, and uncooked rice.
Mix well so the rice is evenly distributed. Add sliced mushrooms and gently stir to press them down so they soak up some of the liquid.
Steps 3 & 4: Cut a whole stick of butter into small pieces and place the pats of butter on top of the rice, but do not mix.
Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil and bake in a preheated oven for 30 minutes. Uncover and cook for an additional 30 minutes or until rice is tender. Allow to rest for 2-3 minutes, then stir and enjoy!
RECIPE TIPS & TRICKS
- Use already sliced mushrooms to save time. It cuts down on prep time and makes it convenient and easy to just add to the baking dish.
- Allow for resting time. Resist the temptation to dive in immediately. Letting the casserole rest for a few minutes helps the flavors to meld and allows the rice to set.
Make a double batch for a future side dish! This rice casserole reheats well, making it an excellent meal prep idea.
STORAGE & REHEATING
Storage: Store leftover Campbell’s beef consomme rice in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3-4 days.
Reheating: To quickly reheat this rice side dish, transfer an individual serving to a microwave-safe dish and reheat in 1-minute intervals, stirring in between, until warmed through. You can also reheat it on the stove by adding a few tablespoons of beef broth or water to a small pan and warm for 4-5 minutes over medium heat.
To rewarm an entire rice casserole, heat in a preheated 350°F oven, covered with aluminum foil to prevent drying out, for about 15-20 minutes or until heated through.
Freezing: Campbell’s beef consommé rice freezes great! Allow the casserole to cool completely, then transfer it to freezer-safe containers or divide it into individual portions. Cover with aluminum foil and seal well to prevent freezer burn. Freeze for up to 3 months.
Thaw overnight in the refrigerator and reheat per the instructions above.
ADDITIONS & SUBSTITUTIONS
- Add a protein. Consider adding shredded chicken, oven-baked shrimp, or even some carnitas directly to the casserole dish after cooking to make it a complete meal.
- Add some cheese. Sprinkle some shredded cheese like cheddar, mozzarella, or even a dusting of Parmesan cheese in the last 10 minutes of baking.
- Try different mushrooms. While white button mushrooms are most common, you can also use baby bella mushrooms (cremini) or shiitake.
- Experiment with the seasonings. Add onion powder, paprika, and a dash of cayenne for some heat, or use fresh herbs like parsley and fresh thyme instead of dried.
- Sub mushrooms with other veggies. Use broccoli, peas, or bell peppers for a different flavor. Make sure to cut them into bite-size pieces for even cooking.
YOUR QUESTIONS ANSWERED
I recommend using white rice because of its shorter cooking time, but you can use brown with few adjustments. If you’re using brown rice, I suggest baking the casserole covered for longer and increasing the cooking time until the rice is fully cooked. You may also need to increase the liquid by 1/2-1 cup to ensure fully cooked rice.
The best way to check for doneness is by taste-testing the rice. You’ll know that it’s done when you get fluffy rice that does not have a bite to it. Keep a close eye on it towards the end of cooking time. If needed, add a splash of hot water and continue baking until rice is tender and cooked through.
Make sure the rice is evenly distributed and submerged in the canned soups. Give it a good stir before adding the butter and covering it. This will ensure even cooking and prevent sticking.
In a Dinner Rut?
Grab your 7-Day Meal Plan + 3 Bonus Recipes!
DELICIOUS SIDES YOU’LL LOVE
Campell’s Beef Consomme Rice Recipe
- Prep: Preheat oven to 375°.
- Add: In a 9×9 inch baking dish, add the beef consomme and French onion soup. Then, add onions, garlic powder, thyme, and white rice.
- Mix: Mix well so the rice is evenly distributed.
- Add: Add mushrooms and gently stir and press them down so they soak up some of the liquid. Place the butter slices on top (do not mix).
- Bake: Cover with aluminum foil and bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes. Uncover and cook 30 minutes more, until rice is tender. Cool for 2-3 minutes, then stir and enjoy!