These air fryer roast potatoes are nothing short of heaven! Full of flavor, perfectly crisp on the outside and soft in the inside, you will be absolutely addicted! The chipotle mayo brings in some heat and makes this a perfect party appetizer or finger food! Better make a triple batch, though. They’ll be gone in no time!
Hot, crispy roasted potatoes in the air fryer are a new staple at our house! One of the reasons I didn’t used to roast potatoes too often was because they would take FOREVER to get crispy in the oven! If I made them bite-sized like these, I’d have to keep them in there for upwards on an hour to get a nice crisp and color on them!
Enter the air fryer! These puppies are crispy and beautifully golden in less than 30 minutes! Dipped in the creamy, spicy chipotle mayo….it’s what dreams are made of.
What is the best air fryer?
Before you air fry, you might want to have an air fryer on hand! The most popular versions are the ones like this one that is solely and air fryer and nothing more. The benefit to these is that they are fairly affordable and small enough to store away when you aren’t using it. The downside is these air fryers are on the smaller side and you typically have to cook things in batches if you have more than two people you are making food for!
We recently bought this 12 in 1 Cosori Toaster Oven and I swear, I does everything but wash the dishes!!! It is FANTASTIC!! One of the main things I like about it is the air fry function. The air fry tray is BIG and it will fit 1.5lbs of potatoes, 6 pork chops, and about 12 chicken strips! LOL! Having 3 kids, I appreciate not having to cook in batches! Plus, it’s super quick–the air fryer in SOOOO much quicker than firing up the entire oven! I highly recommend investing in this 12 in 1 “Air Fryer!”
How do you roast potatoes in an air fryer?
Roasting potatoes in the air fryer could not be easier! You roast them almost exactly how you would roast potatoes in your regular oven…but in half the time! Simple:
- Cut potatoes into uniform pieces–I like using smaller potatoes and cutting them into fourths. Some recipes will say to rinse the starch off the potatoes first, but I don’t notice a huge difference either way!
- Drizzle on olive oil and season with spices or just use salt and pepper!
- Air fry in an even layer for 20-25 minutes until nicely browned on the outside…resist the urge to take them out too soon! I like to give them a quick toss at the halfway point.
How do you make roast potatoes crispy?
- I used to think the secret to crispy roasted potatoes was rinsing them beforehand and removing the starch. However, I have tried it both ways (rinsing and not rinsing) and I don’t see enough of a difference to waste my time with the extra step!
- Make sure you have a good amount of olive oil on the potatoes, and that all the potatoes are well coated. I have found tossing them with my hands is the best way to get everything evenly coated on the potatoes!
- The air fryer will work it’s magic–just don’t take them out before that 20-25 minute mark or until they are nicely browned on the outside. I like to give them a quick flip at the halfway point.
How do I serve air fryer roast potatoes?
The roasted potatoes are soooooo good served as an appetizer with the chipotle mayo! They will literally be gone in minutes!
You can also ditch the mayo and serve them alongside steak, chicken, pork and they make excellent breakfast potatoes, too!
OTHER AIR FRYER SIDE DISHES YOU’LL LOVE
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a Star Rating ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ below or tag @get.on.my.plate on Instagram! I really appreciate–it helps me out so much! Also, please SUBSCRIBE HERE and follow me on INSTAGRAM, FACEBOOK and PINTEREST!
Air Fryer Roast Potatoes with Chipotle Mayo
- 1 lb small potatoes, cut into quarters See Note 1
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp seasoning salt
- cilantro, for garnish optional
For Chipotle Mayo
- 1/3 cup mayonaise
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo, finely chopped plus 2 teaspoons adobo sauce from can See Note 2
- 1/4 tsp seasoning salt
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- juice of 1/2 a lime
For the potatoes
- Preheat air fryer to 400 degrees.
- Wash and cut potatoes into fourths, or bite-sized mostly uniform pieces.
- Season potatoes with olive oil, smoked paprika and seasoning salt. Toss together well, so potatoes are evenly coated–your hands work best!
- Layer potatoes on air fryer tray or basket, making sure they are in an even layer. Do your best to make sure they aren't touching each other for maximum crispiness!
- Air fry 20-24 minutes until nicely browned on the outside. Resist the urge to take them out too soon! I like to give them a quick stir/flip about halfway through (See Note 3).
- Garnish with cilantro (if using) and serve with the chipotle mayo…and try not to eat them all before sharing them!
For the chipotle mayo
- While the potatoes are air frying, stir together mayo, chipotle pepper, adobo sauce, seasoning salt and cumin. Refrigerate and allow flavors to marry.