This post may contain affiliate links which means I may earn a small commission when you click on the links and make a purchase. I will never recommend a product that I don’t support 100%. You can read my full disclosure here.
These Air Fryer French Toast Sticks are a thing of heaven! The cinnamon and sugar crust makes them perfectly crispy on the outside and soft and fluffy on the inside–exactly what french toast should be! Sprinkle on a little powdered sugar, dip them in maple syrup or just hoard them right out of the air fryer! You can’t go wrong!
We never made french toast very much before the purchase of my amazing Cosori 12 in 1 Air Fryer! I hated the idea of frying the french toast in a skillet (time consuming)…slaving over a hot stove isn’t really my thing on a weekend. But when we got our air fryer, I figured out how to cook them to perfection in just 8-9 minutes! I can make up a big batch on the weekend and they reheat nicely for a quick breakfast during the week!
I’ve shared so many amazing, EASY air fryer recipes (I am a little obsessed!) like my Super Easy Air Fryer Biscuit Doughnuts, Perfect Air Fryer BBQ Chicken and Air Fryer Potatoes with Chipotle Mayo! Once you start, you can’t stop air frying!!!
How to make Air Fryer French Toast: The Game Plan
I love giving you a “game plan” or “order of operations” to make recipes come together super quickly and help you make the best use of your time.
- Preheat your air fryer (I love my Cosori 12 in 1! It’s nice a big and usually eliminates having to cook in batches).
- Mix together eggs, milk and vanilla.
- Stir together sugar and cinnamon.
- Cut bread into even pieces and dip in egg mixture, then roll in sugar mixture.
- Air fry at 400 degrees for 8-9 minutes.
- While the French toast is in the air fryer, clean up and warm up some maple syrup! Easy breezy!
Can you cook these french toast sticks in the regular oven?
You sure can! It takes longer, though! You can bake them for about 12-14 minutes on one side, then flip (for max crispiness on the outside) then another 12-14 minutes on the other side.
How long do these air fryer french toast sticks need to be cooked in the air fryer?
All air fryers vary a bit in cooking time, but these french toast sticks cook up perfectly crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside in about 8-9 minutes.
What is the best bread to use for air fryer french toast?
Hands down Brioche or Texas Toast! You want something thick and hearty that can stand up to the egg coating without getting soggy. Brioche has a nice fluffy texture and is slightly sweet making it the perfect bread for french toast! I always use the pre cut Brioche loaf from Trader Joes.
How do I make french toast crispy?
The key is rolling the french toast in cinnamon and sugar BEFORE putting it into the air fryer. Traditional french toast has an egg coating, then cinnamon and sugar are sprinkled on after cooking. By putting on the cinnamon an sugar coating beforehand allows the sugar to caramelize a bit while cooking making it perfectly crispy!
Can I store leftover french toast?
YESSSS!!! This is one of my favorite things about this recipe! You can make up a big batch on the weekend, then have it for a super quick breakfast during the week!
When cooled, store in a Ziploc freezer bag. When you are ready to reheat it, use the following guidelines:
- Toaster Oven: 400 degrees for 2-4 minutes
- Microwave (less crispy but still yummy): about one minute
These times are just guidelines, always be sure to keep an eye on them the first time you reheat!
Other recipes you’ll love
- AIR FRYER ROAST POTATOES WITH CHIPOTLE MAYO
- ONE PAN CHICKEN WITH CHERRY TOMATOES
- EASY BREAKFAST EGG MUFFINS
Will you make these Air Fryer French Toast Sticks?? If you do, please be sure to rate it and tag me @get.on.my.plate on Instagram--I’d love to see your creations!!
Air Fryer French Toast Sticks
- 4 slices Brioche bread or Texas toast
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk (any kind)
- 1/2 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 3 tbsp white sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- syrup, powdered sugar for serving (optional)
- Preheat air fryer to 400. If your air fryer doesn't have a preheat setting, just set it to 400 and allow it to come to temperature for about 4-5 minutes.
- In a shallow bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, vanilla extract and salt. Set aside.
- On a plate, mix together brown sugar, white sugar and cinnamon.
- Cut Brioche or Texas toast into 3-4 even pieces.
- Dip each piece of bread into egg mixture until completely coated, making sure you tap the bread on the edge of the bowl to get off any excess egg. Work quickly so the bread isn't SOAKED with egg, just lightly coated.
- Dip each piece of bread into the cinnamon and sugar mixture, making sure to coat all sides.
- Place french toast in an even layer in air fryer basket or tray. * (See Note 1)
- Air fry 8-9 until outside is nicely golden brown and the sugar just starts in caramelize.
- Remove from air fryer and serve immediately with syrup and powdered sugar, if you like!