This Spicy Turkey Burger is not your typical bland, dry turkey burger! It’s super juicy and bursting with flavor with just a handful of ingredients! It’s quick and easy and on the table in less than 30 minutes!
Turkey burgers have gotten a bad rap for being dry and tasteless. All that changes RIGHT NOW!!!! This amazing spicy turkey burger is juicy and BURSTING with flavor! Texas Pete® Original Hot Sauce is mixed right into the meat keeping it juicy and flavorful, without being over-the-top spicy!
Build your burger with your favorite toppings then drizzle on lots of of the “special sauce” to make extra spicy! This burger would be perfect for fall football watching, but also makes a quick and easy weeknight meal.
These turkey burgers have become one of my favorite burger recipes! Need a another super easy burger for busy weeknights? You have to make easy frozen burgers in the oven (with my secret sauce!).
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS RECIPE
- It’s super quick and easy making it the perfect weeknight meal or great for entertaining!
- The turkey burgers are super juicy–NOT DRY!!
- These burgers are packed with bold flavor, thanks to just a few ingredients including Texas Pete® Hot Sauce
- You can adjust the spice level to your liking.
You’ll need the following ingredients to make this delicious Spicy Turkey Burgers Recipe:
Turkey: Typically ground turkey comes “lean,” usually 90% lean or more. I try not to get TOOO lean– 90-93% lean works best.
Mayo: This is the secret ingredient to getting your turkey burgers juicy!! Just a couple of tablespoons works wonders! If you have extra lean turkey (96% lean or more) you might want to throw in a little extra 🙂
Toppings: Lettuce/greens, tomato, onion and mashed avocado are my toppings of choice but use whatever you like!
HOW TO MAKE THIS SPICY TURKEY BURGER: STEP BY STEP
Here are some quick visual instructions. Remember that full instructions with exact ingredients will be in the recipe card below!
Step 1: Stir together ranch dressing and Texas Pete® Original Hot Sauce, Refrigerate until ready to use.
Step 2: In a bowl, add ground turkey, seasoning salt, Worcestershire sauce, mayo and hot sauce.
Step 3: Using a spoon, or your hands, mix everything together until well-combined.
Step 4: Shape into 4 even patties about 4 inches across and about 1/2 inch thick.
Step 5: Place burgers in a skillet over medium-high heat.
Step 6: Cook burgers about 2 minutes on the first side. Then reduce heat to medium low, flip burgers and continue to cook 4-6 minutes on the second side or until a meat thermometer registers 165 degrees. You can use an Instant Read Thermometer like this one to check–it’s such a handy kitchen tool!
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Yes, you can! Keep burgers in an air tight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. Reheat for 40-60 seconds in the microwave.
The bottle says “Medium” and I agree with that! It has a bold flavor, but isn’t over the top spicy!
Mayo is key in keeping the turkey burgers juicy. However, you can also substitute it with 2 tablespoons of olive oil or vegetable oil.
Cook these turkey burgers on medium high heat for 2 minutes on the first side. Then flip, reduce heat to medium low and cook another 4-6 minutes until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees.
RECIPE TIPS & TRICKS
- When you mix the turkey with mayo and spices, the meat will be very “wet.” It helps to get your hands a little damp so the meat doesn’t stick.
- As you shape your turkey patties, place the completed patties on a piece of wax paper. This makes it super easy to remove your patties to place them in the pan.
- Feel free to customize the amount of hot sauce you use in your burgers! The spiciness mellows out during cooking, but still leaves behind the great bold flavor. 1-2 tablespoons is still kid-friendly!
STORAGE & REHEATING
- Storage: Store leftover turkey burgers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- Reheating: To reheat burgers, you can use the microwave or reheat in a medium skillet over medium for 1-2 minutes on each side or until heated through.
- Freezing: These burgers can be frozen! Freeze cooked turkey burgers in a freezer bag, sealed tightly for up to 2 months.
ADDITIONS & SUBSTITUTIONS
- Turkey: Lean ground beef can also be used.
- Buns: My personal fave are Brioche buns, but if you want to go healthier whole wheat buns are a great option.
- Cheese: You can never go wrong with a slice of cheese added to these turkey burgers! Use sliced pepper jack for even more spice!
- Spice: Any brand of hot pepper sauce works (such as Tabasco).
GET MY FREE 7-DAY MEAL PLAN
Spicy Turkey Burger with Secret Sauce
For the burgers
- 1-1 1/4 lbs. lean ground turkey breast 90% lean or more
- 2-3 tbsp hot sauce See Note 1
- 1 tsp seasoning salt
- 2 tbsp mayo
- 2 tsp Worchershire sauce
- 2 tsp olive oil/vegetable oil/canola oil
- 4 burger buns brioche buns work great!
- lettuce/greens, tomato, avocado, red onion for topping
- black pepper, optional
For the "secret sauce"
- 1/4 cup Ranch dressing
- 1-3 tbsp hot sauce I love Texas Pete but any hot sauce is fine!
- In a small bowl, stir together ranch dressing and hot sauce. The amount of hot sauce will depend on your spice tolerance. 1 tbsp is fairly mild, while 3 tbsp is pretty hot! Refrigerate until ready to use.
- In a large bowl, combine turkey, seasoning salt, black pepper (if using), Worcestershire sauce, mayo and hot sauce (again, amount of hot sauce will depend on your spice tolerance). 2 tablespoons is still kid-friendly at my house! Stir together using a spoon or use your hands until well-mixed.
- Form turkey into 4 equal sized, medium patties, approx. 4 inches across and 1/2 inch thick. Pro Tip: Mixture is very wet, so dipping your hands in a little water will help keep the mixture from sticking to your hands. (I like to place finished turkey patties on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper while forming the other burgers).
- In a large nonstick skillet over medium-high, heat 2 tsp olive oil or vegetable oil. Place turkey burgers in the hot skillet and cook 2 minutes on the first side. Flip patties, then reduce heat to medium-low and cook 4-6 minutes on the second side. Check to ensure internal temperature reaches 165 degrees using an Instant Read Thermometer like this one.
- Slather buns with ranch/hot sauce mixture, add turkey patties and your favorite toppings and enjoy immediately.