These Easy Ground Chicken Sloppy Joes are going to become a favorite weeknight dinner! Healthy and super easy to make, this recipe requires no chopping and VERY little prep time! Making these delicious sloppy joes are almost as easy as opening up a can of Manwich… but MUCH more flavorful and fresh-tasting!
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. This post may contain affiliate links which means I may earn a small commission when you click on the links and make a purchase. I will never recommend a product that I don’t support 100%. You can read my full disclosure here.
If you need a classic, EASY weeknight meal, this is it! These healthy ground chicken sloppy joes are just a slight twist on an American classic!
Lean ground chicken is simmered in a flavorful tomato-based sauce with just the right amount of sweetness.
Pile this sloppy joe mix onto toasted buns or in lettuce wraps for a healthy option! Serve with french fries, a fresh veggie, or a simple salad. Need more ideas for sides?! Check out these 27 Sides for Sloppy Joes!
If you love these, you’ll also love my Sloppy Joes on Texas Toast, too! If you need another family-friendly weeknight dinner, try these Loaded Mashed Potato Bowls!
⭐️ NEED HELP MEAL PLANNING?? ⭐️
This simple and easy-to-use dinner planner will eliminate dinnertime stress so you’ll never have to wonder what to make for dinner again!
GET THE DINNER PLANNER
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS RECIPE
- Healthier version of a classic comfort food!
- Super easy recipe, perfect to whip up on busy weeknights.
- Uses simple ingredients that can be found at any grocery store…and probably a lot are already in your kitchen!
- This recipe freezes great--perfect to make ahead for easier dinners later.
You’ll need the following ingredients to make this delicious Ground Chicken Sloppy Joes Recipe:
HOW TO MAKE GROUND CHICKEN SLOPPY JOES: STEP BY STEP
Here are some quick visual instructions. Remember that full instructions with exact ingredients will be in the printable recipe card below!
Step 1: Brown up your ground chicken in a skillet. Drain any grease, if necessary.
Step 2: Add all remaining ingredients.
Step 3: Stir well and simmer for 6-7 minutes until flavors are married.
Step 4: Pile meat mixture onto hamburger buns and serve right away!
RECIPE TIPS & TRICKS
- Don’t forget to drain any grease from the pan before adding the remaining ingredients. If you use ground chicken BREAST or extra lean ground chicken, you most likely won’t have too much excess grease.
- A toasted bun brushed with a bit of butter is divine for serving your sloppy joes! Brioche buns (usually found in the bakery section of the grocery store or at Costco SOMETIMES) are our family’s fave!
- Whip up a double batch of these chicken sloppy joes and freeze half for an easy, future weeknight dinner!
⭐️ CONFIDENCE TIP ⭐️
While your sloppy joe mixture is simmering on the stove, use this time to whip up a simple side like a simple salad, a veggie, or even some french fries in the oven or air fryer!
STORAGE & REHEATING
- Storage: Store leftover sloppy joes in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days. It’s best to store the meat-only, without the bun(s).
- Reheating: Reheat sloppy joe filling in a small saucepan over medium heat. You may need to add just a tiny splash of water or chicken broth to loosen up the mixture a bit.
- Freezing: These chicken sloppy joes freeze great! Cool the meat mixture completely. Then store in a freezer-safe bag, flat, in the freezer. You can also freeze it in a freezer-safe, airtight container like this.
ADDITIONS AND SUBSTITUTIONS
Meat: You can substitute any ground meat in this recipe–both ground beef and ground turkey are great.
Make it Healthier: Pile the meat mixture into lettuce wraps instead of buns for a yummy, low-carb option.
Spice it Up: Give your sloppy joes a nice little kick with a few dashes of hot sauce or a little chili powder.
Veggies: Feel free to add some veggies like green bell pepper, red bell pepper, or onions.
Cheese: Top your sloppy joes with some shredded cheddar cheese!
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Yes! One entire chicken sloppy joe WITH a bun is only about 350 calories. Make it an even healthier meal and ditch the bun and pile the sloppy joe mixture into crisp lettuce wraps. You can also omit the salt for a lower-sodium version.
Of course–however, I will tell you, this homemade sloppy joe mix tastes a lot like the canned version, except more fresh and flavorful! Give it a try!
French fries, chips, a simple salad, or a fresh veggie, all go great with chicken sloppy joes! Need more ideas?! I got you covered: 27 Easy Sides for Sloppy Joes!
GET MY FREE 7-DAY MEAL PLAN
In a dinner rut? I’ve got a Free Meal Plan with 7 of my most delicious, easy recipes! Sign up for my email list and I’ll send it over now along with weekly dinner recipes!
TOOLS FOR THIS RECIPE
Check out all of my kitchen essentials in my Amazon store!
Large Skillet: My FAVORITE skillet!
Potato Masher: Gets your meat nice and finely “chopped!”
Wooden Spoon: To help break up the ground chicken.
Rate this recipe! I love your feedback!
TRY THESE NEXT…
Easy Ground Chicken Sloppy Joes
- 1 lb. lean ground chicken
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 tbsp yellow mustard
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp white vinegar apple cider vinegar works too
- 4-6 hamburger buns
- Brown Meat: In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add ground chicken. Cook chicken, breaking up the meat into small pieces with a wooden spoon as it cooks (about 2-3 minutes until no longer pink). Drain off any grease, if necessary. Pro Tip: Using a potato masher during the last minute of cooking gets the meat broken up nice and fine!
- Add & Simmer: Add all remaining ingredients (aside from the burger buns!), to the skillet. Stir well. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to medium low and simmer, covered for 6-7 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Serve: Spoon sloppy joe mixture onto hamburger buns and serve right away!
I love a healthy twist on a classic. These sloppy joes did not disappoint. They are delicious!
Dana Sandonato says
These are so saucy and delicious, and the ground chicken works perfectly. There’s no missing the beef in this recipe!
I’ve been looking for a healthier sloppy joe recipe. It’s one of my favorite things to eat, but I try to stay away from canned goods. So between the fresher ingredients and the ground chicken, this one is a hit!
I’ve always loved sloppy joes, but never thought about making them with ground chicken. What a genius idea! The meat is so much more tender. I really enjoyed them.
I love that you are using chicken instead of ground beef in this recipe! Nice to try something different and I can’t wait to make these sloppy joes!