If you are in need of a quick, simple dinner that everyone will love, cooking frozen burgers in the oven is the way to go! Baking frozen burgers is a great way to get a delicious dinner on the table FAST–no need to thaw the burgers and there is virtually NO MESS! Pile on your favorite toppings (recipe for my secret sauce included in the recipe card!) and everyone’s happy!
If you have ever wondered if you could cook burgers straight from frozen, the answer is YES!!!! I LOVE cooking frozen burgers this way and this recipe has SAVED me many times on busy weeknights!
Just season up your frozen burger patties with a little salt and pepper, then bake them in the oven for about 20 minutes….which gives you just enough time to cook some sweet potato fries in the air fryer and prepare your favorite burger toppings!
Clean-up is a breeze, too!
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS RECIPE
- Easy, mess-free way to cook frozen hamburgers in the oven!
- Easy clean-up–virtually no mess!
- Cook the perfect burger straight from frozen–no need to thaw!
- The easiest way to cook frozen burgers!
- A quick meal that’s done in under 30 minutes–perfect for busy weeknights!
You’ll need the following ingredients to make Perfect Frozen Burgers in the Oven:
Frozen Burger Patties: Your favorite brand of pre-shaped frozen burgers is great! For this recipe, I used Trader Joe’s 80% lean frozen burgers. My favorite are the Costco frozen burgers because they are a bit bigger than other brands.
Toppings: Anything goes! Pile on lettuce, tomatoes, pickles, whatever your heart desires. Don’t forget to try my secret sauce (recipe in the recipe card below).
Cheese: Totally optional….but is it?!! My favorite cheeses are sharp cheddar and American–they both melt nicely!
HOW TO MAKE PERFECT FROZEN BURGERS IN THE OVEN: STEP BY STEP
Here are some quick visual instructions. Remember that detailed instructions with the exact ingredients will be in the recipe card below!
Step 1: Brush each frozen hamburger patty with a bit of oil ( you can also use cooking spray). Then season both sides well with a pinch of salt and pepper. Place burgers on a cookie sheet lined with foil (easy clean up!). A metal rack is super helpful for less mess, too!
Step 2: Cook frozen burgers in a 425°F degree oven for 20-25 minutes until internal temperature reaches 160°F. Add cheese slices during the last minute of cooking.
Step 3: Assemble your perfect burger: Spread both sides with sauces (mustard, mayo, ketchup, or secret sauce). Then on the bottom bun add lettuce, tomato, and other toppings, and finish with your burger patty.
RECIPE TIPS & TRICKS
- For super easy cleanup, line the bottom of your baking sheet or broiler pan with aluminum foil or parchment paper.
- Brushing a bit of oil onto your frozen patties will help the seasoning stick. You can also spray them with cooking spray.
- Get comfortable using a meat thermometer–it’s super easy and the best way to check if meat is done (without cutting into it!). Burgers should be cooked to 160°F.
⭐️ CONFIDENCE TIP ⭐️
Make the most of your time! While the burgers are in the oven, prepare any toppings (lettuce, tomato, secret sauce, etc!) and/or toast up your burger buns!
STORAGE & REHEATING
- Storage: Store leftover burgers in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-5 days, per USDA Guidelines.
- Reheating: You can reheat leftover burgers in the microwave, or skillet, or place them back in the oven for a few minutes until they are heated through.
- Freezing: Although it is safe to freeze the cooked patties, I don’t recommend it as you will lose some of the taste and texture.
ADDITIONS AND SUBSTITUTIONS
Here are a few additions you can try:
- Seasonings: You can add seasonings to your frozen burgers in addition to salt and pepper! Garlic powder, onion powder, Montreal steak seasoning, or a pre-made hamburger seasoning are all delish.
Here are a few substitutions you can make:
- If you don’t want to buy pre-shaped frozen hamburger patties, you can just buy hamburger meat/ground beef (I like using 85% lean for this recipe) and shape/freeze the patties yourself.
- Frozen chicken burgers, turkey burgers, and veggie burgers also work using this method. Just adjust the cooking times to get to the proper internal temperature. (Chicken burgers: 170°F. Turkey burgers: 165°F. Veggie/Plant-based burger: 165°F).
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
If you are using a metal rack, there is no need to flip the burgers! If you are placing them directly onto the foil or baking sheet, I’d give them a quick flip around the 10-12 minute mark!
Frozen burgers need to be cooked at 425°F for about 20-25 minutes. Cook time, of course, will depend on your oven and the exact thickness of your burger patties. Just make sure burgers reach an internal temperature of 160°F.
Frozen beef patties should be cooked in the oven at 425°F.
There are pros and cons, but overall, cooking frozen burgers in the oven is the best way! You get juicy, delicious burgers with virtually no mess or hands-on work! On the other hand, if you cook burgers on the stove, they get that nice crust on the outside of the burger!
But if it’s up to me, no mess, and hands-off always wins!
In a Dinner Rut?
Grab your 7-Day Meal Plan + 3 Bonus Recipes!
TOOLS FOR THIS RECIPE
TRY THESE NEXT…
Perfect Frozen Burgers in the Oven
For the burgers
- 4 frozen hamburger patties
- 1 tsp vegetable oil cooking spray is OK, too
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 4 slices cheese optional
- 4 burger buns
- favorite burger toppings: lettuce, tomato, pickles, ketchup, mustard, hot sauce, etc.
For the Secret Sauce (optional)
- 3 tbsp mayonnaise
- 3 tbsp ketchup
- 1 tbsp sweet pickle relish
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet or broiler pan with foil. Place a metal wire rack on your baking sheet (this is optional but helpful!).
- Lightly brush each frozen patty with oil. Then, sprinkle each side with salt and pepper. Rub the salt/pepper in well so they stick to the burgers.
- Cook burgers in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes until internal temperature reaches 160°F. Add cheese during the last minute, if you like! Note: cooking time will vary slightly on your oven, and thickness of your burgers so use a meat thermometer to ensure your burgers are cooked.
- Optional, while burgers are cooking: Make the secret sauce by whisking together all ingredients until smooth.
- Pile on toppings on your favorite bun, add cooked burger and secret sauce and enjoy!