This recipe for frozen sweet potato fries in the air fryer will give you crisp, perfectly seasoned fries every time! The method is simple and the air fryer does 90% of the work–just sit back and let it work it’s magic!
Frozen sweet potato fries have been a love-hate thing for me. I LOVE the way the taste and they are a super quick and easy side dish! However, I always struggled cooking them in the oven and getting them crispy!!
I played with oven temperature, cooking time, sweet potato fry BRANDS, making them from scratch…everything! But it would always end up taking FOREVER in the oven and I’d come out with partially burned, half-crispy fries.
Enter the air fryer. Friends, this is THE BEST, easiest and quickest way to cook perfect frozen sweet potato fries! These will be done and crispy in about 20 minutes vs. 45++ minutes in the regular oven!
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS RECIPE
- These sweet potato fries are perfectly crispy and perfectly seasoned.
- Quick, easy and healthy side dish.
- These fries are done and crisp in about 20 minutes, much faster than cooking them in the oven!
- Frozen sweet potato fries cooked in the air fryer are vegan, vegetarian and a great healthy snack.
Frozen Sweet Potato Fries: Brand doesn’t matter as much as uniformity in size–you want your fries to be roughly the same size so the crisp up evenly. I have had the most luck with the Wal-Mart Great Value Brand, Trader Joes and Alexia fries.
HOW TO MAKE AIR FRYER FROZEN SWEET POTATO FRIES STEP BY STEP
Here are some quick visual instructions. Remember that full instructions with exact ingredients will be in the recipe card below!
Step 1: Oil and season frozen sweet potato fries.
Step 2: Spread in an EVEN layer on air fryer tray or basket.
Step 3: Air fryer for 18-22 minutes, tossing halfway through…perfectly golden, crisp and seasoned!
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
It will vary just a bit depending on your air fryer, but I have found the sweet spot is 18-22 minutes at 400 degrees. I like to give the fries a little shake/toss at about the halfway point.
I don’t have one particular brand I am loyal to. However, I do look for one thing: uniformity in size!! There are some brands (my store brand, for example) where the fries are all sorts of shapes and sizes! That makes for uneven cooking.
I have had the best luck with the Wal-Mart Great Value brand, Alexia and the Trader Joe’s brand so far.
Wow–sky is really the limit here! Some great seasonings and combos are:
* Seasoning salt
* Chili powder
* Cinnamon and sugar
* Chili lime seasoning
* Olive oil and rosemary
* Ranch seasoning
* Cajun seasoning
RECIPE TIPS & TRICKS
Frozen sweet potato fries in the air fryer are super simple but there are a few tips to get them PERFECT!!!
- Make sure the fries are in one EVEN layer in the air fryer. I have the AMAZING 12 in 1 Cosori Air Fryer/Toaster Oven combo which is big enough to fit a 15 oz bag of fries on the air fry tray. However, if you have a smaller air fryer, I highly recommend air frying in two batches.
- Use these Air Fryer Parchment Paper Liners for quick and easy clean up AND nothing will stick!
- Tossing the fries with a little oil WHILE FROZEN will keep them crisp in the air fryer!
- Add seasoning before air frying! Since you are not deep frying the sweet potatoes in oil, if you wait to season them when they come out of the air fryer, the seasoning won’t stick very well. Tossing them with a little oil and seasoning WHILE FROZEN is the key!
- You can season up these fries however your little heart desires! Any dry spices you like, or just salt and pepper is delish too! Just make sure you season them before cooking 🙂
In a Dinner Rut?
Grab your 7-Day Meal Plan + 3 Bonus Recipes!
OTHER AIR FRYER RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
Frozen Sweet Potato Fries in the Air Fryer
- 1 15 oz bag frozen sweet potato fries
- 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil See Note 1
- 1 tsp garlic powder* See Note 2
- 1 tsp smoked paprika* See Note 2
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Preheat air fryer to 400. If there is no preheat setting, just set to 400 and let the air fryer heat up for about 5 minutes.
- Toss frozen sweet potatoes in a large bowl with oil and seasonings. Using your hands works best! Make sure all of the potatoes are well-coasted.
- Spread sweet potato fries in an EVEN LAYER in fryer basket or on the fryer tray. You may have to do two batches depending on the size of your air fryer.
- Air fry at 400 for 18-22 minutes. I like to give them a good flip/stir about halfway through. Check the fries at the 16 minute mark and adjust cooking time if needed–it might depend a bit on your air fryer. I've found 18-22 minutes is the sweet spot in our air fryer.
- Remove from air fryer and serve immediately with ketchup, ranch, honey mustard or your favorite dipping sauce!