This Easy Panera Mediterranean Veggie Sandwich is a copycat version of Panera’s popular veggie sandwich! It’s super delicious, healthy and so easy to make at home. Save yourself about 10 bucks and whip this up for lunch in about 10 minutes or less! You’ll be craving it everyday!
This post may contain affiliate links which means I may earn a small commission when you click on the links and make a purchase. I will never recommend a product that I don’t support 100%. You can read my full disclosure here.
I love almost everything on the menu at Panera-especially their salads and sandwiches! What I don’t like–the price! I rarely get out of Panera spending less than $12! And for me, that’s a lot of money for a quick lunch!
Making this Mediterranean Veggie Sandwich at home could not be easier! You can get all the ingredients for less than the price of one sandwich at Panera and enjoy them all week long!!
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS RECIPE
- It’s full of fresh veggies and is super light and healthy!
- With the omission of the traditional feta cheese, this sandwich is vegan and dairy free.
- It comes together in less than 10 minutes–perfect for a quick lunch or light dinner!
- You’ll save about $10 vs. buying this same sandwich at Panera!
You’ll need the following ingredients to make this delicious Mediterranean Veggie Sandwich:
Whole Grain Bread: Panera uses Tomato Basil Bread, but for this recipe I have found Dave’s Killer Bread (I get it at Costco) works perfectly! However, you can use any hearty whole grain bread.
Roasted Sweet Peppers: Panera’s version uses Peppadew peppers and if you can find these, awesome!!! I always use either roasted red bell peppers (in most any grocery store near the olives) or sweet cherry peppers like these.
Greens: Use whatever salad greens you have on hand! My faves are arugula and spinach. Mixed greens, micro greens and/or alfalfa sprouts are delish as well!
HOW TO MAKE THIS COPYCAT PANARA MEDITERRANEAN VEGGIE SANDWICH: STEP BY STEP
Here are some quick visual instructions. Remember that full instructions with exact ingredients will be in the recipe card below!
Step 1: Toast bread, if desired.
Step 2: Spread a generous amount of hummus on both slices of bread.
Step 3 & 4: Start piling on the veggies! I like to do them in this order: cucumber, red peppers, red onion, tomato and greens.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Unfortunately, due to the water content in the peppers, tomatoes and cucumbers, this sandwich does not store well. It’s meant at be consumed right away! However, if you want to throw it together super quickly to pack it for lunch in the morning, just precut your onions and tomato the night before so you can just assemble it quickly in the morning.
Feta cheese is included in the original Panera version, and makes a great addition if you aren’t concerned about this sandwich being vegan. Mix up the type of greens or bread you use. A flavored hummus would be delish, too! And don’t forget the squeeze of lemon on top of the greens–it’s divine!
Yep! While Panera’s original version of this sandwich is NOT vegan because of the feta cheese and honey in the bread, this version most definitely is vegan! This recipe omits the feta cheese (saves some calories too!) and uses Dave’s Killer Bread which is not only vegan but organic and non-GMO as well.
If you are concerned about this sandwich being vegan, just check the bread label to ensure there are no animal products.
Depending on exactly what type of bread and hummus you use, this recipe has about 280-300 calories. Compare this to 440 calories in the original Panera version!
RECIPE TIPS & TRICKS
- This sandwich doesn’t store well, but if you slice the tomatoes and onions beforehand, you can make this sandwich super quickly for lunch during the week.
- I prefer the convenience of using good quality sliced bread (like Dave’s), however getting an artesian wheat loaf from the bakery section or your favorite bakery, and slicing it yourself makes this sandwich extra special!
- These sandwich ingredients work great in a wrap too! I love the Flatout Multigrain Wraps. The wrap version makes this “sandwich” a lot less messy, too!
OTHER RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
- PEACH AND BLUEBERRY SALAD
- SIMPLE AIR FRYER FISH SANDWICH
- SIMPLE SOUTHWEST SALAD WITH CREAMY CHIPOTLE DRESSING
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a Star Rating ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ below or tag @get.on.my.plate on Instagram! I really appreciate–it helps me out so much! Also, please SUBSCRIBE HERE and follow me on INSTAGRAM, FACEBOOK and PINTEREST!
Easy Panera Mediterranean Veggie Sandwich
- 2 slices whole grain bread, such as Dave's Killer Bread
- 2 tbsp hummus
- 6-8 slices cucumber slice thinly
- 2 slices tomato
- red onion, thinly sliced
- salad greens for topping (See Note 1)
- lemon juice, optional
- Feta cheese (See Note 2)
- Toast bread, if desired.
- Spread a tablespoon or so of hummus on each slice of bread.
- Start topping one slice of bread. I like to do this order: cucumber, red peppers, red onion, tomato, greens.
- Squeeze a few squeezes of lemon juice over the mixed greens, top with remaining slice of bread, cut in half and enjoy immediately.