This simple quinoa arugula salad is packed with flavors, textures and superfoods! It’s topped with a sweet and tangy citrus vinaigrette. A perfect light lunch or dinner!
With Spring in the air, it’s always great to have some easy, healthy dinner ideas ready to go! This salad with arugula, quinoa, beats and a bunch of other goodness is the perfect option.
The thing about “healthy food” (for me, anyway) is it has to:
- #1: Be flavorful
- #2: Have lot of textures
- #3: Have lots of different KINDS of flavors
This quinoa arugula salad definitely checks all of these boxes for me! The “spicy” arugula, sweet nuts and tangy dressing all marry so well in this dish making it packed with flavor.
The creamy cheese, crunchy nuts and chicken are the perfect balance of textures to make this the ultimate healthy, but un-BORING salad!
How to make Quinoa Arugula Salad with Chicken: The Game Plan
I love giving you a “game plan” or “order of operations” to make recipes come together super quickly and help you make the best use of your time.
- Cook chicken (see how to make my Perfect Chicken Breasts here)
- While chicken is cooking, make dressing and cook quinoa
- While chicken is cooling, assemble all other ingredients in a bowl
- Chop chicken and add it to the salad, along with the quinoa.
- Drizzle with dressing and serve!
Recipe notes and tips
- This recipe is great with leftover grilled chicken or rotisserie chicken. I always have my hubby grill up a few extra chicken breasts on the weekend to throw in salads like this during the week. This makes it a quick and easy meal during the week.
- Pretty much ANY nuts can be used in this salad, but I am especially partial to candied walnuts both for the sweetness and crunch-factor! I’ve also made it with pistachios and almonds.
- Don’t like beets? Leave them out or sub in another veggie!
- I like using quick cooking or microwave quinoa. The tri-colored variety looks really pretty 🙂
- This salad is a PERFECT spring or summer side dish–just omit the chicken.
Other recipes you’ll love
- TWO SIMPLE SALAD RECIPES FOR LUNCH
- ONE PAN CHICKEN WITH CHERRY TOMATOES
- BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP WITH SAUSAGE
Will you make these Quinoa Arugula Salad with Chicken?? If you do, please be sure to rate it and tag me @get.on.my.plate on Instagram--I’d love to see your creations!!
Quinoa Arugula Salad with Chicken
For the salad
- 4 cups baby arugula, packed
- 2 cups cooked chicken, cubed See Note 1
- 1-2 cups quinoa, cooked
- 1/4 cup candied walnuts See Note 2
- 1 cup beets, sliced
- 1/2 cup gorgonzola cheese, crumbled
For the dressing
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Whisk all dressing ingredients together. Taste, and season with salt and pepper if needed.
- Add all other ingredients to a large salad bowl OR divide between 4 large salad plates.
- Drizzle salad with dressing and toss. Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately.