These Oreo Peppermint Brownies are nothing less than heavenly decadence! No one will ever believe they came from a boxed brownie mix. We have a few tricks up our sleeve to make these peppermint brownies taste homemade!
If you’ve been around this blog long enough, you know baking isn’t my strong suit. However, you also know I can turn boxed mixes into something of glory….
Want more easy brownies? (yeah, me too) Try my Red Velvet Brownies with White Chocolate Chips–also from a boxed mix, yet sooooo delish!
I’ve had exactly ZERO complaints on any of these amazing desserts…even if they do partially come from a box!
These Oreo Peppermint Brownies start with a boxed brownie mix but the flavors are enhanced with espresso powder and peppermint extract…along with a little heavy cream to get them insanely rich, fudge-y and chewy!
Make them…and watch them disappear!
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS RECIPE
- Takes boxed brownie mix to new heights! No one will ever know this is a boxed mix!
- Simple, yet festive dessert for the holidays!
- Super chewy, fudge-y and MOIST (sorry, I know..that WORD!)
You’ll need the following ingredients to make these delicious Oreo peppermint brownies:
Brownie Mix: Any brownie mix will do! My fave is Ghiradelli, but I typically just buy whatever is on sale!
Instant Espresso Powder: Make sure you are using INSTANT ESPRESSO POWDER and not regular coffee grounds–yuck!
Mint Oreos: They usually sell mint Oreos year round. Any other peppermint or mint chocolate sandwich cookies will also work. I’ve used Trader Joe’s peppermint Joe Joes for this recipe, too.
HOW TO MAKE OREO PEPPERMINT BROWNIES: STEP BY STEP
Here are some quick visual instructions. Remember that full instructions with exact ingredients will be in the recipe card below!
Step 1: In a large bowl, mix brownie mix, oil, heavy cream, eggs, peppermint extract and espresso powder.
Step 2: Spread batter into a 9×9 (or 8×8) inch baking pan.
Step 3: Top the batter with crushed Oreos.
Step 4: Bake 30-40 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean. Sprinkle on candy cane pieces, if desired.
RECIPE TIPS & TRICKS
- To make brownies easy to remove from the pan, line the pan with parchment paper. Hold the parchment paper to the sides of the pan using two clips (I use bag clips, see photo above).
- Start checking brownies about 5 minutes before instructed on the package (usually about 30 minutes). Insert a toothpick into the center. If it’s clean or ALMOST clean, take the brownies out. They will continue to cook a bit when they come out of the oven.
- Storage: If there are any brownies left :), you can store them in an air tight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- Freezing: These brownies can be frozen in an airtight zip top freezer bag for up to 3 months.
ADDITIONS AND SUBSTITUTIONS
- Vegetable Oil: Any non flavored oil, like canola oil, also works.
- Heavy Cream: Buttermilk also works well in place of heavy cream.
- Brownies without Peppermint: Don’t like peppermint? Swap the peppermint extract with vanilla extract and use regular Oreos for the topping!
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Nope! I have made this recipe with every brownie mix under the sun! They all turn out great!
Every mix has slightly different measurements for water, eggs and oil, so be sure to take note of that as you follow the recipe below.
Brownies are best when they are taken out of the oven SLIGHTLY under baked. They will continue to cook when they come out of the oven. Use a toothpick inserted into the center. Take brownies out when it comes out clean or ALMOST clean.
Start checking brownies about 5 minutes before the directions on the pakage.
OTHER SWEET TREATS YOU’LL LOVE
- 5 INGREDIENT VANILLA OREO BLONDIES
- EASY GRANNY CAKE RECIPE (USING BOXED CAKE MIX)
- NO BAKE CHOCOLATE PEPPERMINT PIE
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a Star Rating ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ below or tag @get.on.my.plate on Instagram! I really appreciate–it helps me out so much! Also, please SUBSCRIBE HERE and follow me on INSTAGRAM, FACEBOOK and PINTEREST!
The Best Oreo Peppermint Brownies (from mix)
- 1 box brownie mix
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil use measurement from brownie mix, it's usually 2/3 cup
- 1/4 cup heavy cream replace water on package instructions with heavy cream, it's usually about 1/4 cup
- 2 eggs
- 1-2 tsp peppermint extract See Note 1
- 2 tsp instant espresso powder
- 6 mint Oreo cookies, crushed or any peppermint sandwich cookie
- 2 candy canes, crushed optional
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, mix brownie mix, oil, heavy cream, eggs, peppermint extract and espresso powder. Just mix until everything comes together, no need to over mix.
- Pour brownie batter into a 9×9 (or 8×8) baking pan lined with parchment paper OR sprayed with cooking spray.
- Sprinkle the entire top of the brownie batter with the crushed Oreos. Make sure to get the edges and into the corners!
- Bake 30-40 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean or almost clean. It's OK to underbake slightly–the brownies will continue to cook when taken out of the oven. Start checking for doneness about 5 minutes sooner than the directions on the package.
- Remove brownies from oven and sprinkle on crushed candy cane pieces, if you like. Cool for a few minutes, cut into squares and watch them disappear!