Yes! You can make amazing, decadent fudgy boxed brownies! Yep! Perfect brownies from a boxed mix (AKA: Lazy Girl Brownies)!!! All we have to do is make a few little changes here and there and you will be left with rich, fudgy brownies with hardly any hassle at all!
This brownie recipe makes the the most decadent, fudgy brownies you’ll ever have! With hardly any effort, you can have delicious, homemade brownies that are full of rich chocolate flavor! A few extra ingredients is all you need to turn boxed mix brownies into “homemade” deliciousness!
My kids have declared these “the best brownies!” And they’ve eaten A LOT of brownies…just sayin’!
So let’s take your boxed brownies to the next level!
FYI, I kinda pride myself on doctoring up boxed mixes…since my baking skills are DISMAL! Try my Red Velvet Brownies with White Chocolate Chips, my Oreo Peppermint Brownies and my Granny Cake–all AMAZING and all from boxed mixes.
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS RECIPE
- Fudgy, decadent brownies that taste like homemade!
- Quick and easy — just a few simple changes to boxed mix brownies!
- Chocolate flavor that is out of this world!
- Literally the perfect brownie–and SO EASY!
You’ll need the following ingredients to make these decadent fudgy box mix brownies:
Boxed Brownie Mix: My favorite brownie mixes are Betty Crocker Fudge Brownie Mix, Pillsbury Chocolate Fudge Brownie Mix and Ghirardelli Chocolate Supreme Brownie Mix. But honestly, ANY mix will work. Just use your favorite brownie mix.
Espresso Power/Instant Coffee: Either of these will work in this recipe. Don’t worry, your brownies won’t taste like coffee–it just really brings out the chocolate flavor!
Eggs: A lot of recipes will say to use just egg yolks for fudgy brownies. Egg yolks-only DO make super fudgy brownies. HOWEVER, they also make very thin, flat brownies. I prefer to use whole eggs and heavy cream to make fudgy brownies. This method yields super fudgy, but THICKER brownies!
HOW TO MAKE FUDGY BOXED BROWNIES: STEP BY STEP
Here are some quick visual instructions. Remember that full instructions with exact ingredients will be in the recipe card below!
STEP 1: Line a square baking pan with parchment paper (I also spray a little non stick cooking spray on the bottom because I’m crazy like that!)
STEP 2: In a medium bowl, add brownie mix, eggs, espresso powder, heavy cream, vanilla extract and oil.
STEP 3: Mix until all ingredients are well-combined. No need to over mix! Then, fold in chocolate chips. Brownie batter will be thick–not super pourable like regular old brownie batter!
STEP 4: Spread batter evenly into a baking pan. Bake at 350°F for 26-30 minutes.
Step 5: Sprinkle top of the brownies with sea salt. Allow brownies to cool before cutting into squares.
TIPS FOR MAKING THE BEST FUDGY BOXED BROWNIES
- DO NOT follow the directions on the back of the box of brownie mix! Many times, the box mix will call for 3 eggs which will make more cakey brownies. We are going for a gooey, fudgy texture in this recipe!
- Using a 9×9 or 8×8 baking pan will give you nice, thick brownies.
- Resist, resist, resist the urge to over bake these brownies! Pull them out of the oven when a toothpick comes out clean or ALMOST clean. They will continue to cook outside the oven. I usually start checking at about the 28 minute mark.
TIPS FOR CUTTING BROWNIES
If you want the perfect cut on your brownies, try these tips:
- Let your brownies cool COMPLETELY before cutting them if you want nice, clean cuts. Pop them in the freezer or fridge if you’re pressed for time!
- Use a hot knife (run it under hot water) or a plastic knife (best hack ever!!). Wipe the knife with a paper towel after each cut.
- Storage: If there are any brownies left :), you can store them in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. You can also cover the pan tightly with aluminum foil and store for 3-4 days as well.
- Freezing: These brownies can be frozen in an air tight zip top freezer bag for up to 3 months.
ADDITIONS AND SUBSTITUTIONS
Vegetable Oil: Any non flavored oil will work. Canola oil is a good substitute.
Espresso Powder: You can also use instant coffee.
Heavy Cream: Buttermilk or whole milk also works great!
Chocolate Chips: Substitute regular chocolate chips for chocolate chunks, white chocolate chips, peanut butter chips or dark chocolate chips!
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Yes, melted butter will also produce delicious brownies (of course)! However, I have found vegetable oil works perfectly, too and is slightly better for you–lol!! Not like we’re counting calories or anything but….
If you want more cake-like brownies, and less dense and fudgy brownies, you can add an extra egg.
OTHER EASY TREATS YOU’LL LOVE
- EASY GRANNY CAKE (WITH CAKE MIX)
- 5 INGREDIENT VANILLA OREO BLONDIES
- RED VELVET BROWNIES WITH WHITE CHOCOLATE CHIPS
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a Star Rating ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ below or tag @get.on.my.plate on Instagram! I really appreciate–it helps me out so much! Also, please SUBSCRIBE HERE and follow me on INSTAGRAM, FACEBOOK and PINTEREST!
The **BEST** Fudgy Boxed Brownies
- 1 14.5 oz. box of brownie mix
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil canola oil also works well
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 tsp espresso powder or instant coffee
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1-2 tsp sea salt or flakey salt, for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line an 8×8 or 9×9 baking pan with parchment paper OR spray with non stick cooking spray; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine brownie mix, eggs, oil, heavy cream, espresso powder and vanilla extract. With a wooden spoon (or other large spoon), stir until ingredients are well-combined. No need to over mix.
- Add chocolate chips and stir until combined.
- Pour batter into prepared baking dish and smooth with a spatula into an even layer.
- Bake 30-32 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean or almost clean. It's OK to under bake slightly–the brownies will continue to cook when taken out of the oven. Start checking for doneness about 5 minutes sooner than the directions on the package (See Note 2).
- Sprinkle brownies with sea salt when they come out of the oven. Allow brownies to cool completely. Then, cut into squares and enjoy!