This easy Homemade Hot Dog Sauce is literally the PERFECT hot dog topping! The meat is nice and fine and simmered with beef broth, tomato paste, and the perfect amount of spices. It’s also an amazing topping for french fries (chili cheese fries, anyone?!) and makes great sloppy joes, too! The best part is, it’s SUPER easy to make and just uses everyday ingredients!
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. This post may contain affiliate links which means I may earn a small commission when you click on the links and make a purchase. I will never recommend a product that I don’t support 100%. You can read my full disclosure here.
There isn’t anything much better than a nice bowl of homemade chili when it’s CHILLY outside! There are a zillion-and-one ways to make chili….among my faves, this Three Bean Chili and this Red Chicken Chili!!
This hot dog chili sauce recipe is in a class of its own, though. It’s not meant to be eaten by the bowlful. Instead, pile it on top of hot dogs, french fries and it even makes great sloppy joes!
I think if you put this chili sauce over about anything, you could get me to eat it. It’s that good. Enough said. Now let’s make some chili dog sauce!!
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS RECIPE
- A simple chili sauce that’s loaded with flavor!
- Far and away better than any canned chili sauce!
- The perfect way to entertain for game day or a casual gathering!
- Can also be made in the slow cooker and kept warm during a party.
You’ll need the following ingredients to make this amazing homemade hot dog chili sauce:
Ground Beef: Use 90% lean or more if you want to avoid draining your meat. If not, 80-85% work well, too!
HOW TO MAKE HOMEMADE HOT DOG SAUCE: STEP BY STEP
Here are some quick visual instructions. Remember that the full recipe with exact ingredients will be in the recipe card below!
Step 1: Brown up your ground beef in a large skillet. Break it into small pieces as it cooks.
Step 2: Add the rest of the ingredients and stir well to combine.
Step 3: Bring to a boil, then simmer for 20-25 minutes….DONE! How easy is that?!
⭐️ CONFIDENCE TIP ⭐️
Like a thinner sauce? Add a splash of water. Like it thicker? Cook the sauce a bit longer! That’s the beauty of cooking at home…you can have it YOUR WAY 🙂
STORAGE & REHEATING
- Storage: Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- Reheating: To reheat, place in a saucepan and add a little water to thin it out a bit (about a tablespoon or so). Heat on medium until heated through.
- Freezing: This hot dog chili sauce freezes great! Cool completely. Then place in a zip-top bag. Store FLAT in the freezer for up to 3 months. To thaw, place in the fridge overnight, then reheat according to reheating instructions above.
ADDITIONS AND SUBSTITUTIONS
Meat: Ground turkey is a great sub for the ground beef.
Spice: If you want more spice, add extra hot sauce or cayenne pepper.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Hot dog sauce is just a fancy (unfancy?) name for hot dog chili. Traditionally, it’s thinner than chili and doesn’t have beans.
Here are the top four ways to enjoy this chili sauce:
1) Coney Dog: Pile this sauce onto a steamed hot dog and bun and top with chopped onions and yellow mustard.
2) Chili Cheese Dogs: Pile this sauce onto a steamed hot dog and bun and top with lots of shredded cheddar cheese…or better yet, melty Velveeta!
3) Chili Cheese Fries: Spoon this chili sauce over french fries, and top with lots of cheese. Place in the oven for a few minutes to melt the cheese. YUMM!
4) Sloppy Joes: This simple chili sauce makes GREAT sloppy Joes! Pile it onto soft buns and enjoy!
Coney sauce is simply a meat sauce (ground beef) with spices that is traditionally served on hot dogs on Coney Island. This recipe is very similar to a “coney sauce.”
YES!!!! Brown your beef in a skillet and transfer to the slow cooker. Add all the other ingredients and cook on LOW for 2-3 hours.
GET MY FREE 7-DAY MEAL PLAN
In a dinner rut? I’ve got a Free Meal Plan with 7 of my most delicious, easy recipes! Sign up for my email list and I’ll send it over now along with weekly dinner recipes!
TOOLS FOR THIS RECIPE
Check out all of my kitchen essentials in my Amazon store!
Large Pan w/Lid: I love this giant pan with all my heart!
Potato Masher: My “secret” to getting the meat broken up nice and fine!
Rate this recipe! I love your feedback!
Please SUBSCRIBE HERE and follow me on INSTAGRAM, FACEBOOK, and PINTEREST!
TRY THESE NEXT…
Easy Homemade Hot Dog Sauce
- 2 lbs. ground beef See Note 1
- 3/4 cup beef broth
- 1 12oz. can tomato paste
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp hot sauce such as Tabasco (optional)
- hot dogs, hot dog buns and toppings, for serving (shredded cheddar cheese, onions, yellow mustard, etc.)
- Brown Meat: In a large skillet or dutch oven over medium heat, add ground beef. Cook meat for 2-3 minutes, breaking it into small pieces with a wooden spoon as it cooks. Pro tip: Use a potato masher during the last minute of cooking to get the meat broken up nice and fine! Drain grease, if necessary.
- Add: To the skillet, add all remaining ingredients: beef broth, tomato paste, ketchup, chili powder, brown sugar, garlic salt, onion powder, Worcestershire sauce and hot sauce. Stir well to combine.
- Simmer: Over medium-high heat, bring meat sauce to a boil. Then, place lid on the skillet and reduce heat to low heat. Simmer, covered, for 20-25 minutes. Stir occasionally. If you like a thinner sauce, add a splash of water.
- Serve: Spoon hotdog sauce generously over hot dogs and add your favorite toppings, if desired.
Immediately obsessed with this recipe!
Sisley White - Sew White says
You really don’t get hot dog sauces like this in the UK and that is such a shame as it is so delicious. I can’t wait to make it more and get all my friends hooked too.
Made this on the weekend to dress up hot dog day! Really good, I will make it again.
Delicious! The ground beef mixture reminds me of a combination of sloppy joes and taco meat. Great flavor and pairs perfectly for the hot dog!
Super Bowl is coming up soon and your Easy Hot Dog Sauce is really gonna be a hit! Thanks for sharing!