If you love food and you’re on TikTok, you’ve seen gorgeous Emily Mariko whipping up this TikTok Salmon and Rice Bowl that’s gone absolutely viral! Trust me, this one lives up to the hype!
This post may contain affiliate links which means I may earn a small commission when you click on the links and make a purchase. I will never recommend a product that I don’t support 100%. You can read my full disclosure here.
Ok, let me be totally upfront here. I have tried MANY TikTok foodie trends!!!! ONE has made it onto the blog, which is the “Tortilla Trend” or Easy Tortilla Wrap. I have made that thing so many times I can’t even count. It’s AMAZING!!!
Ya’ll know I am obsessed with my air fryer so I *HAD* to try the air fryer pancakes on parchment paper that the charming singing guy made. I mean, he even SAYS don’t try this at home…but I HAD to! Yeah, EPIC FAIL!
The good thing is that I was so obsessed with pancakes in the air fryer that I came up with my own version…and it works perfectly!! You can check out that recipe here: Perfect Air Fryer Pancakes.
When I made this TikTok Salmon Bowl, I knew it was a keeper! I could barely photograph it… I just wanted to eat it!!! So here’s the recipe and all of my tips!! If you just want to recipe, just scroll on down!
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS RECIPE
- It’s a viral TikTok recipe that ACTUALLY lives up to the hype!
- Great way to use up leftover salmon and/or rice.
- There is zero “cooking” involved! Great for using up leftovers!
You’ll need the following ingredients to make this delicious Viral TikTok Salmon Rice Bowl:
Salmon: This recipe is meant to be a good use for LEFTOVER salmon, but you can cook up some “fresh” salmon too! My Easy Air Fryer Teriyaki Salmon is perfect in this dish.!
Rice: Cold, leftover rice straight from the fridge is what Emily uses in her recipe. The ice cube will steam it up nice!
Kewpie Mayonnaise: I am able to find this delicious Japanese mayo at my regular chain grocery store now! But if you can’t find it, regular mayo works just fine. Even better, make the sriracha mayo from my shrimp bowl recipe!
Soy Sauce: Any kind of soy sauce you have in the fridge is just fine! Regular, low sodium or even Maggi is great! You can also sub in Tamari or coconut aminos.
HOW TO MAKE THIS RECIPE: STEP BY STEP
Here are some quick visual instructions. Remember that full instructions with exact ingredients will be in the recipe card below!
Step 1: Flake salmon into small pieces with a fork.
Step 2: Add rice and ice cube. Cover with parchment paper or a paper plate and microwave for 2 to 2 1/2 minutes until warm.
Step 3: Add soy, mayo and sriracha; mix well.
Step 4: Top with avocado and more sriracha, if you like!
Step 5: Serve on it’s own or in mini wraps!
RECIPE TIPS & TRICKS
- Make sure you remove anything left of the ice cube after microwaving the rice/salmon 🙂
- Of course you can whip up a batch of fresh rice, but dry, leftover rice works so well!
- Make sure you loosely cover the salmon and rice bowl when you are microwaving it so the ice cube can steam the salmon and rice. In the TikTok video, she covers it with parchment paper, but you can use a paper plate or even just a paper towel. Just make sure it’s loose so the steam can escape.
STORAGE & REHEATING
This dish is, for the most part, made up of “leftovers” (salmon and rice), so it doesn’t store and reheat well.
That being said, I have nuked some leftovers I had of this bowl for about 30 seconds, wrapped it in some seaweed and was in heaven. It’s not unheard of, just not ideal 🙂
ADDITIONS & SUBSTITUTIONS
Kewpie Mayo: I am able to find this delicious Japanese mayo at my regular chain grocery store now! But if you can’t find it, regular mayo works just fine. Even better, make the sriracha mayo from my shrimp bowl recipe!
Soy Sauce: Coconut aminos, Tamari or Maggi are just fine to substitute.
Kimchi: I like kimchee for the tang and crunch but I totally know it’s not everyone’s thing. Crunchy carrots or cucumber would be great too!
Salmon: This simple recipe is so damn good, you can sub pretty much any protein here! We tried chopped rotisserie chicken and random leftover chicken was SO GOOD!!
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
This delicious bowl is super easy, uses leftovers and basically requires no cooking. Leftover cooked salmon is flaked and mixed with soy sauce, kewpie mayo, avocado and sriracha sauce. In the viral video, Emily enjoys the bowl with kimchi and wrapped in seaweed.
Salmon rice bowls are nothing new, but gorgeous, TikTok’er Emily Mariko whipped one up in a video in 2021 and it’s been all the rage! I think people are fascinated by her calm, cool demeanor in the video along with her putting an ice cube in her rice and salmon before microwaving it! #genuis
It captured out attention and it’s around to stay because IT WORKS and IT’S DELISH!!!!
Yes! I can safely say, it’s delish. Of course, salmon rice bowls and “bowls” in general are nothing new. However, this combo of salmon, avocado, mayo and soy sauce is delish and new or old, I’m chowing down!
You can just cover your bowl with a paper plate or a paper towel. You just want to loosely lock in the moisture so the rice and the salmon both get nice and steamy.
Kewpie mayo is delish but yes, you can use regular mayo. Mixing mayo with a little sriracha and rice wine vinegar like in my recipe for Shrimp Poke Bowls, is divine! Just spoon it on and mix everything up!
Yep! In fact, this recipe works best with cold, day old rice. The ice cube totally brings it back to life!
OTHER “VIRAL” RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a Star Rating ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ below or tag @get.on.my.plate on Instagram! I really appreciate–it helps me out so much! Also, please SUBSCRIBE HERE and follow me on INSTAGRAM, FACEBOOK and PINTEREST!
TikTok Salmon and Rice Bowl
- 1-2 cooked salmon filets (about 4 oz. each)
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1 ice cube
- 1/2 avocado, diced
- 2 tbsp soy sauce to taste, Tamari or coconut aminos also work
- 1-2 tbsp kewpie mayonnaise to taste, See Note 1
- 2 tsp sriracha, to taste optional
- kimchi, to taste optional, See Note 2
- 12 roasted seaweed sheets optional, See Note 3
- In a microwave safe bowl, flake your cold salmon until it's broken up into small pieces. Using a fork works best.
- Add your leftover rice right over the salmon, then place one cube cube in the center, nestling it into the rice.
- Cover with parchment paper or a paper plate (just make sure steam can escape) and microwave on high for 2 to 2 1/2 minutes.
- Remove bowl from microwave and discard any remaining ice.
- Add soy sauce, mayonnaise and sriracha (if using) and mix with rice/salmon until combined.
- Top the dish with diced avocado and more mayonnaise, sriracha (optional) soy sauce to taste.
- At this point, you can enjoy the rice bowl as-is OR add kimchi and wrap the rice mixture in your seaweed pieces and enjoy as mini-wraps!