These air fryer frozen hash browns are lightly seasoned and the perfect combination of crispy bits and soft bits throughout! There are just a few tricks to getting these perfect in the air fryer!
This post may contain affiliate links which means I may earn a small commission when you click on the links and make a purchase. I will never recommend a product that I don’t support 100%. You can read my full disclosure here.
If I am ordering breakfast at a restaurant, it absolutely MUST include hash browns. These air fryer frozen hash browns are restaurant-style perfection…in the air fryer! No need to slave over a hot stove to get your perfectly crispy (yet perfectly soft) hash browns–the air fryer has you covered!
Serve up these hash browns with these amazing Hawaiian Roll Breakfast Sliders or this Bisquick Breakfast Casserole!
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS RECIPE
- The air fryer cooks these hash browns to perfection–the perfect combo between crispy and soft!
- Putting these hash browns in the air fryer is almost completely hands off–giving you time to prepare eggs, bacon or other breakfast/brunch items!
- Quick and easy to prepare!
- You can switch up the seasonings however you like!
You’ll need the following ingredients to make these delicious hash browns in the air fryer:
Frozen “Shredded” (hash brown) Potatoes: These are often labeled as “hash browns” and sold in the frozen section near the french fries. Be sure to check there are NO additional seasonings (especially salt!) because you’ll be adding in your own seasoning.
Olive Oil: I like the flavor of olive oil, but any oil you have on hand will work.
Seasonings: Here is where you can either keep it simple or go all out! For this recipe, we are just using salt, pepper and garlic powder. But if you love a seasoning, use it!
HOW TO MAKE FROZEN HASH BROWSN IN THE AIR FRYER: STEP BY STEP
Here are some quick visual instructions. Remember that full instructions with exact ingredients will be in the recipe card below!
Step 1: In a large bowl, toss hash brown potatoes with olive oil.
Step 2: Season potatoes with salt, pepper and garlic powder (or whatever seasonings you like)! I know it might seen odd to oil and season FROZEN food, but it works like a charm! It allows the potatoes to get crispy and the seasoning to stick. Try it!!
Step 3: Spread onto air fryer tray or air fryer basket. It’s OK if some of the potatoes overlap. That will give you that great combo of crispy and soft.
Step 4: Air fry for 25-30 minutes giving them a shake at around the halfway mark.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Yes, you can! They keep in the fridge, tightly covered for 1-2 days. To reheat, pop them in the air fryer for 2-3 minutes to just heat through. Or, microwave on high for about 30 seconds.
Sure! You’ll have to increase the cooking time, and obviously diced hash browns will have a different texture, but ANY potatoes in the air fryer are divine! If you are leaning toward diced potatoes, I suggest you try my Air Fryer Roasted Potatoes with Chipotle Mayo!
Oh man, sky’s the limit here! However, some traditional seasonings that would work well are: seasoning salt, smoked paprika, chili powder, onion powder, dried parsley and cayenne pepper. And although it’s not really a “seasoning,” throwing a layer of cheese on top during the last 5 minutes a cooking is heaven…just sayin’….
You don’t need to flip the potatoes per se, but I like to give them a good shake at about the halfway mark.
RECIPE TIPS & TRICKS
- This parchment paper with holes designed specifically for air fryers is s GOD SEND and I strongly suggest using them!!! Not only for this recipe, but other recipes as well. It will make your clean up a snap. Plus, you don’t get annoying pieces of hash browns falling through the holes in the air fryer tray 🙂 Use this parchment paper for “tray” type air fryers and this parchment paper for square “drawer”-type air fryers. Just check to make sure the size will fit you specific air fryer.
- Be sure to double check your frozen hash brown package to ensure they are not seasoned with salt or any additional seasoning. You just want plain, shredded potatoes.
OTHER AIR FRYER RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
- AIR FRYER ROAST POTATOES WITH CHIPOTLE MAYO
- CHINESE STYLE AIR FRYER GREEN BEANS
- AIR FRYER FRENCH TOAST STICKS
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a Star Rating ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ below or tag @get.on.my.plate on Instagram! I really appreciate–it helps me out so much! Also, please SUBSCRIBE HERE and follow me on INSTAGRAM, FACEBOOK and PINTEREST!
Perfect Air Fryer Hash Browns
- 4 cups frozen hash brown potatoes (shredded) See Note 1
- 2.5 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Preheat air fryer to 375. If your air fryer doesn't have a preheat setting, just turn it to 375 and give it about 3-5 minutes to come to temperature.
- Line air fryer tray with parchment paper. This parchment paper works really well and is specifically designed for rectangle or "tray" type air fryers. This parchment paper is for the the square or "drawer" type air fryers. Double check to be sure the measurements fit your air fryer.
- In a large bowl, toss frozen hash brown potatoes with olive oil.
- Season with salt, pepper and garlic powder; toss to combine.
- Spread potatoes onto parchment paper on air fryer tray or basket (totally ok if they overlap a bit)!
- Air fry for 25-30 minutes until you get a good mix of crispy bits and softer bits! Give the potatoes a shake around the halfway point.
- Serve immediately. Leftover hash browns can be stored for 1-2 days in the fridge, tightly covered.
Mine was very crispy & with a nice bit of soft potatoes. The flavor was delicious. I will never do hash browns in a frying pan again!
Casey Rooney says
EXACTLYYYYYY how we like them! Air fryer is the only way to go! 🙂