Old fashioned sloppy joes are the ultimate throwback comfort food and quick and easy for busy weeknights! These sloppy joes are piled on top of buttery Texas toast for the perfect bite!
This post may contain affiliate links which means I may earn a small commission when you click on the links and make a purchase. I will never recommend a product that I don’t support 100%. You can read my full disclosure here.
Sloppy Joes are a retro favorite around our house! I LOVE making “retro” or “old fashioned” type dishes and just putting a bit of a modern spin on them..like my Easy Taco Casserole or my spin on tuna in a can with my Quick and Easy Tuna Pesto Pasta!
Speaking of “retro,” my husband’s family made a version of this called “Manwich Surprise” back in the day. The dish was basically Manwich on french bread, topped with cheese and baked in the oven. I mean, what’s not to love there?!
My version is a nod to this “Manwich Surprise” but it doesn’t use Manwich or ketchup and is piled on top of buttery Texas toast!
Wondering what to serve with these amazing sloppy joes?? Check out this post where I have 27 Easy Sides for Sloppy Joes!
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS RECIPE
- It’s a classic recipe with a bit of a update 🙂
- It’s super quick and comes together in about 30 minutes.
- Family-friendly–kids love it!
- It’s homemade– it doesn’t use Manwich or ketchup.
You’ll need the following ingredients to make these delicious Sloppy Joes on Texas Toast:
Ground Beef: You can absolutely substitute ground turkey or chicken as well!
Worcestershire Sauce: Don’t skip this! It really gives a great depth of flavor to the meat!
French Bread: Just a store bought loaf at your supermarket bakery is fine! Or you can use frozen Texas toast!
Cheese: I love mozzarella, cheddar or Monterey jack because they melt so well. The cheese step is totally optional.
HOW TO MAKE THIS RECIPE: STEP BY STEP
Here are some quick visual instructions. Remember that full instructions with exact ingredients will be in the recipe card below!
Step 1: Preheat oven to 400. Slice bread into 1 inch pieces and brush with butter. Sprinkle with garlic powder and oregano (to taste). Set aside.
Step 2: Brown up your meat, breaking it up with a wooden spoon or potato masher (pro tip!!).
Step 3: Add in your onion and cook 2-3 minutes more.
Step 4: Add garlic powder, salt, pepper, tomato sauce, tomato paste and Worcestershire Sauce. Stir to combine and simmer for 5 minutes. While sloppy joes are simmering, pop your bread into the oven to toast.
Step 5: Toast bread for 5 minutes in the oven, then top with your sloppy joe meat! OPTIONAL: Turn oven on broil and sprinkle sloppy joes with cheese. Broil 1-2 minutes until cheese us melted.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
If you don’t think you are going to eat the entire batch of sloppy joe meat, set it aside vs. piling onto the bread. You can always add the meat mixture to the bread, but once it’s on the bread it doesn’t keep well since the bread tends to get soggy.
Store sloppy joe meat-only, in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. To reheat, use the microwave or add meat to a medium sauce pan with a small splash of water or chicken stock to loosen it up a bit. Reheat on medium for a few minutes until heated through.
So glad you asked! Here are 27 easy sides!
If you think your sloppy joes are too thin or watery, continue to cook (uncovered) for another few minutes. Also, note that the meat mixture will thicken slightly once the heat is turned off and it “rests” for a bit.
Yes! But just the meat only. Cool meat completely. Then freeze sloppy joe meat in a freezer-safe container or freezer bag for 2-3 months. I love making a double batch of the meat and freezing half!
RECIPE TIPS & TRICKS
- When you brown up your meat, use a potato masher to break it up! It gets the meat nice and fine and it’s easier than a wooden spoon.
- Don’t want to do the extra step of making Texas toast? Use frozen, pre made Texas toast! Just pop it in the oven or air fryer! Follow my directions here for perfect Texas toast in the air fryer!
- After your sloppy joes are done simmering, taste them and season with salt and fresh ground pepper, if needed. Also a few dashes of hot sauce is great if you love spice!
OTHER EASY WEEKNIGHT MEALS YOU’LL LOVE
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a Star Rating ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ below or tag @get.on.my.plate on Instagram! I really appreciate–it helps me out so much! Also, please SUBSCRIBE HERE and follow me on INSTAGRAM, FACEBOOK and PINTEREST!
Old Fashioned Sloppy Joes on Texas Toast (without ketchup)
For the Sloppy Joes
- 1 lb. lean ground beef (see Note 1) ground turkey or chicken also works!
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper (or a few turns of fresh ground pepper)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar light or dark
- 1 14 oz. can tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- cheese, for topping (optional) cheddar, mozzarella, jack all work well
For the Texas toast (See Note 2)
- 1 loaf bakery French bread sliced into 1 inch thick slices
- 4 tbsp butter, melted
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place butter in microwave for about 30-60 seconds until melted. With a pastry brush, brush each slice of bread with butter. Then, sprinkle each slice with garlic powder and oregano (to taste). Place bread slices on a baking sheet and set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium high heat, start browning your meat, breaking it up as it cooks (about 2-3 minutes). Pro Tip: Using a potato masher to break up the meat makes it really easy!
- Add onion and cook 2-3 minutes more until onion is slightly soft.
- Add garlic powder, salt, pepper, brown sugar tomato sauce, tomato paste and Worcestershire sauce. Stir well and let simmer over medium heat for about 5-6 minutes. Taste and season with salt, if needed. A dash of hot sauce is also great to add if you like spice.
- While sloppy joes are simmering away, pop your Texas toast in the oven and bake for 6-8 minutes until lightly toasted. If using store-bought Texas toast, cook in the oven according to package directions or use my air fryer instructions.
- Pile each slice of Texas toast with sloppy joe mixture. At this point you can enjoy them as-is OR move on to next step…
- Set oven to BROIL. Top each sloppy joe with cheese. Broil about 1 minute until cheese is just melted. Serve immediately!