Need to shake up your classic pumpkin pie recipe?! Try this double-layer pumpkin pie–it will be your new go-to holiday dessert! This delicious dessert combines one light, creamy “cheesecake” layer and one layer of decadent, perfectly spiced pumpkin. The best part?! It’s a no-bake pie so it won’t crowd your holiday oven!
Need more amazing pie recipes for your holiday table? Try my Maple Pecan Pie, this Pumpkin Pie Without Evaporated Milk, or this totally decadent Pumpkin Pie with Condensed Milk! And if you love no-bake pies, you can’t miss this Hot Chocolate Pie!
Tired of plain old pumpkin pie? Yeah, me either. 🙂 But maybe you just need another sweet treat on your holiday table or need a dessert to bring to a potluck, Friendsgiving, or holiday party. This double-layer pumpkin pie is a delicious twist on regular pumpkin pie and a family favorite at our house!
This delicious dessert is made with a creamy “cheesecake” layer and a perfectly spiced pumpkin layer. Top it off with lots of homemade cinnamon whipped cream and everyone is happy!
You’ll need the following ingredients to make this amazing No Bake Pumpkin Pie Recipe (with Double Layers!):
Pumpkin Puree: Make sure you buy 100% pure pumpkin puree, not pumpkin pie filling. No extra spices should be added (you will be adding those yourself)!
Premade Graham Cracker Crumb Crust: Try to find the 10″ size (9oz.), if possible. If you can only find the 9″ (6oz.) that’s perfectly fine. Just know that your layers will be super thick (nothing wrong with that!)
HOW TO MAKE A DOUBLE-LAYER PUMPKIN PIE: STEP BY STEP
Here are some quick visual instructions. Remember that full instructions with the exact ingredients will be in the recipe card below!
Step 1: In a large bowl, mix cream cheese, vanilla, and sugar. Gently stir in whipped topping. Evenly spread this first layer into the bottom of the prepared graham cracker crust.
Step 2: In another bowl beat pudding mixes and one cup of milk. Add pumpkin and 2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger, 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves, and 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg.
RECIPE TIPS & TRICKS
- Don’t skip chilling this pie before cutting and serving!! In fact, it’s best made the day before!
- If you are using a store-bought graham cracker crust, the plastic covering doubles as a pie cover if you just flip it over. Very handy for storing your pie!
- Resist the urge to use reduced-fat cream cheese for this recipe (c’mon, it’s the holidays!), it just doesn’t turn out as luscious and creamy as regular cream cheese!
To avoid lumps in your first layer, make sure your cream cheese is at room temperature before mixing it with your other ingredients.
STORAGE & REHEATING
- Storage: Store pie in the fridge, covered for up to 4 days. If you are using a pre-made graham cracker crust, the plastic that lines the pie crust doubles as a pie cover if you flip it over! 🙂
- Freezing: You can freeze this pie! For best results cover it either with plastic wrap or cover it with the plastic pie cover that came with the graham cracker crust. Then, place it in a large plastic Ziploc bag and seal it tightly. Freeze for up to 2 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge.
Additions & Substitutions
- Whipped Cream: I highly recommend big dollops of Cinnamon Whipped Cream over the top of the pie right before serving!
- Pumpkin Spice: In place of the cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and cloves, you can also use 3 heaping teaspoons of good-quality pumpkin pie spice. I will be 100% honest, though, NOTHING beats using the individual spices–it tastes so much better 🙂
- Crust: Make your own easy graham cracker crust in place of the store-bought crust.
YOUR QUESTIONS ANSWERED
Yes and no. The bottom layer does have cheesecake-like elements, but it includes folding in whipped topping so it’s a bit “lighter” than a typical cheesecake. The top layer is similar to a pumpkin layer in a double layer pumpkin cheesecake like this one.
According to U.S. Dairy, dairy products should not sit out unrefrigerated for more than two hours. This pie contains cream cheese, so don’t let it sit out much longer than that. Plus, this pie is best served cold and right from the fridge anyway!
Easy Pie Recipes You’ll Love
Double Layer Pumpkin Pie
- 8 oz. full-fat cream cheese, softened See Note 1
- 8 oz. whipped topping such as Cool Whip you'll use half for the first layer and the rest for topping
- 3 tbsp powdered sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 15 oz. can pure pumpkin puree make sure it's pure pumpkin and not canned pumpkin pie mix! 🙂
- 1 5.1 oz. box instant vanilla pudding you can also use (2) 3.4 oz. smaller boxes
- 1 cup cold milk
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon See Note 2
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1/4 tsp EACH nutmeg and cloves
- pinch of sea salt
- 1 9 oz. or 10" pre made graham cracker pie crust See Note 3
- Make the cream cheese layer: In a large bowl, combine cream cheese, powdered sugar and vanilla extract. With an electric mixer, mix ingredients together until well combined (about one minute). You can use either a hand mixer or a stand mixer fitted with the wire whisk or paddle attachment. Gently fold in HALF of the whipped topping. Spread cream cheese mixture evenly into the graham cracker crust as the bottom layer.
- Make the pumpkin layer: In another large bowl, combine dry pudding mix and milk. Beat with an electric mixer (hand or stand mixer) for one minute until there are no lumps (mixture will be THICK, not like regular pudding).
- Add: To the bowl with the pudding mixture, add pumpkin puree, and spices (cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves and salt). Stir well to combine. Carefully spread pumpkin mixture over the cream cheese layer making sure the pumpkin completely covers the cream cheese layer!
- Refrigerate: Chil the pie for at least 3-4 hours before cutting. Serve with the remaining Cool Whip/whipped topping or this homemade cinnamon whipped cream!