This Creamy Chicken Enchilada Skillet has all the delicious flavors of regular enchiladas, but without the time consuming, rolling mess! It comes together in one pan so easily, making it the perfect weeknight meal!
This post may contain affiliate links which means I may earn a small commission when you click on the links and make a purchase. I will never recommend a product that I don’t support 100%. You can read my full disclosure here.
I absolutely adore enchiladas! I have a favorite recipe (yet to be posted here on the blog!) that is my go-to. They are pretty simple, however, I don’t often feel like taking the time to make the filling, do the rolling AND wait for them to bake. Patience is not my strong suit, friends.
So I combined all the flavors of my classic enchilada recipe into this one-pan wonder that’s sure to be a weeknight hit at your house! It could not be easier!
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS RECIPE
- It’s creamy, cheesy deliciousness!
- ONE PAN = less washing!
- All the flavor of enchiladas but no messy, time consuming rolling!
- Comes together in about 30 minutes (or less!) making it a great weeknight meal.
You’ll need the following ingredients to make this delicious creamy enchilada skillet:
Tortillas: Look for hearty, thick corn tortillas, if possible. You want them to hold up well in the sauce. Some of the “white corn” tortillas are super flimsy and fall apart easily making for a mushy enchilada skillet.
Cheese: I don’t discriminate when it comes to cheese, but my FAVE FAVE combo in this skillet is Monterrey Jack, mozzarella and sharp cheddar. The Jack cheese and mozzarella are melty heaven, while the sharp adds just the perfect flavor! Any combo will work though! 🙂
Enchilada Sauce: Since the sauce is pretty much the base of the dish, make sure you like it! Some of the canned ones in the store aren’t that great, let me be honest! I have really been enjoying the one from Trader Joe’s.
Chicken: Rotisserie chicken is perfect or you can use this recipe for Frozen Chicken Breasts in the Air Fryer! They turn out tender and juicy every time!
HOW TO MAKE THIS CREAMY CHICKEN ENCHILADA SKILLET: STEP BY STEP
Here are some quick visual instructions. Remember that full instructions with exact ingredients will be in the recipe card below!
Step 1: Cook onion for a few minutes until slightly soft.
Step 2: Add in your rotisserie chicken and season with taco seasoning.
Step 3: Add enchilada sauce and black beans–give everything a big stir and simmer for a few minutes.
Step 4: Stir in cream cheese and half of the shredded cheese. Then, fold in tortilla pieces.
Step 5: Sprinkle the top with the remaining shredded cheese.
Step 6: Broil for 3-4 minutes until it’s nice and melty.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Since these enchiladas are cooked in a skillet vs. a pan, freezing can be tricky. It’s meant to be enjoyed within a few days. However, if you do have leftovers you need to freeze, you can transfer it into an air tight freezer container and freeze for up to one month. To store leftovers, cover the skillet tightly with foil and store in the fridge for up to 2 days.
It’s easiest to reheat leftovers is in the microwave on a plate or in a bowl, covered, for about a minute 70% power.
Mexican rice or a fresh green salad are perfect compliments to this dish! I also like making this simple homemade pico de gallo to spoon over the top!
My favorite swap is using ground beef or ground turkey. My favorite addition is OLIVES!! It might be retro (I’m a child of the 80’s!) but I just love olives in my enchiladas! You can also make this vegetarian by just adding additional beans in place of the chicken.
RECIPE TIPS & TRICKS
- While you are prepping your ingredients, take out the cream cheese and leave it on the counter to come to room temperature. It melts into the sauce really easily this way!
- Although I don’t always have time to shred my cheese, if you do, it’s soooo worth it! Freshly-shredded cheese melts so much better than pre-shredded!
- Make sure your skillet is oven-proof since you’ll be popping it under the boiler for a few minutes! I love the Lodge brand. Make sure to get a big 12 inch skillet like this!
OTHER RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a Star Rating ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ below or tag @get.on.my.plate on Instagram! I really appreciate–it helps me out so much! Also, please SUBSCRIBE HERE and follow me on INSTAGRAM, FACEBOOK and PINTEREST!
Creamy Chicken Enchilada Skillet
- 1 medium onion (about 1 cup), diced
- 2-3 cups rotisserie chicken, chopped or shredded
- 1 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tbsp taco seasoning
- 1 12 oz can/jar enchilada sauce
- 3/4 cup cream cheese (or about 3/4 of a block)
- 3 cups cheese, grated See Note 1
- 5-6 corn tortillas, cut into triangles or 3 inch strips
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- scallions, olives, sour cream for serving optional
- Preheat broiler to 500 degrees.
- Heat 1 tbsp olive in a large, oven-proof skillet over medium high heat. Add onion and cook for 2-3 minutes until onion is slightly soft.
- Add chicken and taco seasoning to the pan and stir until chicken is well-coated with the seasoning.
- Add enchilada sauce and black beans. Stir until well combined. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in cream cheese and half the shredded cheese. Stir, stir, stir until cheeses are fully melted.
- Stir in tortilla pieces, a few at a time, making sure they are all being coated with the sauce.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top and broil for 3-4 minutes until cheese is bubbly and begins a brown a bit.
- Remove from broiler, allow to cool for about 5 minutes and enjoy.