These Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Sweet Potatoes are going to be a new favorite for your holiday table! Perfectly roasted brussels sprouts and tender sweet potatoes are drizzled with a sinful bacon and maple glaze, then topped with crispy bacon and pomegranate seeds for a little crunch. Even brussels spouts haters won’t be able to resist this delicious side dish!
Every holiday table needs some amazing side dishes, right?! Forget the ham and turkey! I am ALL ABOUT THE SIDE DISHES, people! Give me creamy mashed potatoes and gravy , yummy cranberry sauce, and these AMAZING crack green beans any day!!
This side dish combines two holiday faves: brussels sprouts and sweet potatoes. I am telling you, even brussels sprouts haters will go crazy over this dish with loads of crisp bacon and a bacon and maple glaze drizzled over the top! It’s sweet and savory perfection!
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS RECIPE
- Easy recipe that’s perfect for a holiday dinner!
- Super festive for the holiday season!
- Addicting maple bacon glaze that will have everyone licking their plates!
- Perfect for a casual holiday gathering or a fancy holiday meal!
You’ll need the following ingredients to make this amazing Sweet Potatoes and Brussels Sprouts Recipe:
Rosemary: Fresh tastes SO much better in this dish, but you can also use dried if that’s all you have. Also see: 15 Best Substitutes for Rosemary.
Pomegranate Seeds: These are often sold by themselves, so you don’t have to buy a whole pomegranate and take out the seeds (messy). They are optional but add such nice crunch and color to this dish.
HOW TO MAKE BRUSSELS SPROUTS AND SWEET POTATOES: STEP BY STEP
Here are some quick visual instructions. Remember that full instructions with the exact ingredients will be in the recipe card below!
Step 1: In a large skillet, cook up your bacon pieces. Reserve some of the bacon grease to make the glaze!
Step 2: Toss brussels sprouts and sweet potatoes in olive oil, salt and pepper. Then, spread evenly onto a large baking sheet. Make sure brussels are CUT SIDE DOWN! Roast at 450°F for 20-25 minutes.
Step 3: While veggies are roasting, make the glaze. Heat reserved bacon grease, maple syrup, rosemary and lemon juice over medium heat for 2-3 minutes.
Step 4: Drizzle roasted veggies with the glaze and garnish with cooked bacon pieces and pomegranate seeds.
RECIPE TIPS & TRICKS
- Cut sweet potatoes into 3/4 inch pieces…if you cut them too small they will get soft before the brussels sprouts are finished cooking.
- Use parchment paper or aluminum foil to line your baking sheet for easy clean up. I have found using silicone baking mats do not work as well for getting your brussels sprouts browned and crisp. You can also just place the veggies directly on the baking sheet.
- Place brussels sprouts CUT SIDE DOWN for the best browning!
⭐️ CONFIDENCE TIP ⭐️
The secret to getting perfectly crispy, browned brussels sprouts? A hot oven. Make sure you are roasting your spouts at no less than 425°F!
STORAGE & REHEATING
- Storage: Leftover brussels sprouts lose their crisp factor when stored too long, but that doesn’t ever stop me from digging into leftovers the next day! Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge. They will hold up pretty well for about 2 days.
- Reheating: Reheat in the microwave, oven on air fryer! A few minutes in the air fryer crisps up the sprouts again nicely.
TOOLS FOR THIS RECIPE
OTHER HOLIDAY SIDE DISHES TO TRY…
Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Sweet Potatoes
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 8 oz. bacon, chopped
- 1 lb. brussels sprouts, halved
- 1 large sweet potato, cut into about a 3/4 inch pieces
- 2 tsp kosher salt or sea salt, divided
- fresh black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 2 tsp fresh rosemary 1 tsp dried works, too but fresh is so much better!
- 2 tsp lemon juice + zest of half the lemon
- 1/4 cup pomegranate seeds (optional)
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- In a skillet over medium heat, cook bacon pieces until crisp (about 8-10 minutes). Transfer bacon to a paper towel lined plate and set aside. Leave about 2 tablespoons of the bacon grease in the skillet and discard the rest.
- In a large bowl, toss brussels sprouts and sweet potatoes with olive oil, 1 tsp of salt and 1/2 tsp black pepper. Line a large sheet pan with parchment paper or aluminum foil. Spread veggies in single layer on the pan. For perfectly roasted brussel sprouts, make sure they are cooked CUT SIDE DOWN for perfect browning! Roast for 20-25 minutes until sprouts are golden brown and sweet potatoes are tender. (Note: Cook time will vary a bit depending on the size of your brussels sprouts).
- While the brussels sprouts and sweet potatoes are in the oven, make the glaze. In the skillet with the reserved bacon grease, add maple syrup, rosemary and lemon juice. Cook over medium heat for 2-3 minutes until slightly thickened. Turn off the heat and stir in lemon zest.
- Pour glaze over the cooked brussels sprouts and sweet potatoes and gently toss to coat. Sprinkle on reserved bacon and pomegranate seeds, if using, and enjoy this perfect holiday side dish!