These air fryer roasted root vegetables will be a fall/winter staple at your house! Delicious root vegetables are tossed in olive oil and a few fall spices, then popped into the air fryer for 20 minutes! This side dish couldn’t be easier and it looks gorgeous on a holiday table!
This post may contain affiliate links which means I may earn a small commission when you click on the links and make a purchase. I will never recommend a product that I don’t support 100%. You can read my full disclosure here.
“This tastes like fall.” That’s the first thing my husband said when he tasted these air fryer roasted vegetables! I consider that a win 🙂 Roasting root vegetables in the air fryer is such an easy way to get them cooked perfectly and quickly, without tying up your oven!
A few “fall” spices (rosemary and thyme), olive oil and your favorite root veggies are all you need to make this perfect side dish. I’d make these for Thanksgiving dinner, Christmas dinner or even during the week if I needed a healthy side dish! These roasted root vegetables + a store-bought rotisserie chicken….now THAT’S a weeknight dinner that ANYONE can pull together!
So go on….whatcha waiting for?? Go get a little taste of fall! Need another great FALL air fryer recipe?! You have to try these air fryer roasted pumpkin seeds! They are crispy and divine!
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS RECIPE
- It literally tastes like fall on a plate!
- Super easy and you can use whatever root veggies you like!
- A healthy, delicious holiday side dish!
You’ll need the following ingredients to make these delicious Air Fryer Roasted Root Vegetables:
Root Vegetables: ANY combo of root vegetables can be used in this recipe! I used carrots, butternut squash and potatoes. I also used fennel, although it’s not technically a root vegetable, I love the taste of it when it’s roasted and it goes so perfectly with the other veggies!
Red Onion: I love the color and sweetness of red onion roasted alongside these root veggies. If you don’t have red onion, a sweet yellow onion also works well.
Fresh Thyme and Rosemary: Fresh herbs are definitely recommended for this dish–you cannot replace the freshness it brings to these roasted veggies. However, if you need to substitute dry herbs, use 1 tsp of dried thyme and 1/2 tsp of dried rosemary. Also see: 15 Best Substitutes for Rosemary.
HOW TO MAKE ROASTED ROOT VEGETABLES IN THE AIR FRYER: STEP BY STEP
Here are some quick visual instructions. Remember that full instructions with exact ingredients will be in the recipe card below!
Step 1: In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, rosemary, thyme, salt and pepper. Set aside.
Step 2: In a large bowl, combine root veggies and red onion. Pour olive oil mixture over the veggies and toss well to combine.
Step 3: Spread veggies on your air fryer tray (or basket) in an even layer.
Step 4: Air fry 18-20 minutes until veggies are tender and you start to see browning in a few spots. Allow 1-2 minutes to cool and serve immediately.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
In this recipe, I used carrots, butternut squash and potatoes. I also used fennel, although it’s not technically a root vegetable, I love the taste of it when it’s roasted and it goes so perfectly with root veggies!
Here are more great root vegetable options: beets, sweet potatoes, yams and parsnips.
Yes, you can! Allow veggies to cool, then transfer to a freezer bag or airtight container and freeze for up to 3 months.
To reheat, defrost overnight in the fridge. Make sure you remove any excess water before transferring thawed veggies to a baking sheet or air fryer tray. Reheat in the air fryer at 400 degrees for about 3-4 minutes until heated through. Reheat in the oven at 425 degrees for 5-6 minutes until heated through.
Fresh herbs are definitely recommended for this dish–you cannot replace the freshness it brings to these roasted veggies. However, if you need to substitute dry herbs, use 1 tsp of dried thyme and 1/2 tsp of dried rosemary.
These air fryer roasted veggies are perfect with any holiday meal to complement turkey, ham, roast chicken or Cornish game hens! But you don’t have to wait for the holidays! Whip these up anytime you need a delicious vegetable side dish!
If you need another great veggie side dish, you have to try these sautéed mushrooms, too!
Of course! The only thing that changes is the cooking time–it will take a bit longer. Roast at 425 degrees for 25-30 minutes until veggies are tender and you start seeing some brown spots on the veggies.
And if you don’t have an air fryer…YOU NEED ONE!! I swear, I use my Cosori 12 in 1 Air Fryer every single day! It was the best investment!!!
RECIPE TIPS & TRICKS
- I am all about saving TIME, especially if I am making this side dish for a dinner party of holiday gathering! One time saving tip is to look for pre cut veggies–especially butternut squash! ((it’s a PAIN to peel and cut!)) In the fall/winter, grocery stores are pretty good about stocking pre-cut squash!
- My amazing Cosori 12 in 1 Air Fryer fits all of these veggies perfectly in one batch, spread in an even layer. If your air fryer is small, air fry the veggies in 2 batches so they cook evenly and get those nice browned spots on them 🙂
OTHER AIR FRYER RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
- AIR FRYER ROAST POTATOES WITH CHIPOTLE MAYO
- EASY AIR FRYER TERIYAKI SALMON
- CHINESE STYLE AIR FRYER GREEN BEANS
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a Star Rating ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ below or tag @get.on.my.plate on Instagram! I really appreciate–it helps me out so much! Also, please SUBSCRIBE HERE and follow me on INSTAGRAM, FACEBOOK and PINTEREST!
Air Fryer Roasted Root Vegetables
- 8 cups mixed root vegetables, cut into approx. 1/2" pieces See Note 1
- 1 small red onion, cut into approx. 1/2" pieces
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tsp fresh thyme leaves See Note 2
- 1 tsp fresh rosemary leaves, roughly chopped See Note 2
- 1 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- Preheat air fryer to 400 degrees. If your air fryer doesn't have a preheat setting, just turn it to 400 and give it about 3-5 minutes to come to temperature.
- In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, rosemary, thyme, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine root veggies and red onion. Pour olive oil mixture over the veggies and toss well to combine.
- Spread veggies on your air fryer tray (or basket) in an even layer. If you have a smaller air fryer, you'll need to do two batches. My Cosori air fryer was able to hold everything perfectly in one batch.
- Air fry 18-20 minutes until veggies are tender and you start to see browning in a few spots. Allow 1-2 minutes to cool and serve immediately.
My fiancé said this is the best meal I’ve ever made for him!! And kept raving about the veggies all night. We love. This will be in the rotation for sure!!