Your quest to find the perfect air fryer pancakes recipe and method is over! Perfectly cooked pancakes in the air fryer are a thing of glory! Super simple, crowd pleasing and done in less than 10 minutes, you’ll be whipping these up all the time!
This post may contain affiliate links which means I may earn a small commission when you click on the links and make a purchase. I will never recommend a product that I don’t support 100%. You can read my full disclosure here.
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS RECIPE
- Fluffy pancakes with just the perfect amount of “crisp” on the outside!
- Perfectly shaped pancakes every time!
- You’re able to make multiple pancakes at one time.
- They cook up in about 8 minutes.
- So many ways to customize your air fryer pancakes!
You’ll need the following ingredients to make these delicious pancakes in the air fryer :
Buttermilk Pancake Mix: You can absolutely make your own homemade pancake batter! ((I love this Buttermilk Pancake Recipe HERE.)) The recipe works just the same and it will still come out great! However, for ease, I typically use a store bought buttermilk pancake mix. Pancakes with buttermilk will yield the fluffiest pancakes.
Optional Toppings: I topped my pancakes with fresh vanilla whipped cream (recipe below), blueberries, walnuts and lots of maple syrup. But of course, sky’s the limit! Top your pancakes with whatever your heart desires!
Typically my recipes don’t require any SPECIAL pieces of equipment, but for this recipe, I have one item that I feel is KEY for making your pancakes perfect in the air fryer:
6 inch disposable aluminum pie tins: These 6 inch pie tins actually are 4 inches across the bottom, so they make perfectly sized pancakes! You can absolutely use reusable pie tins (like these), they are just more expensive. The key is using an aluminum tin! This ensures that your pancake will get hot enough to crisp up ON THE BOTTOM. A ceramic or glass oven proof container won’t do this.
Also, an air fryer is necessary! HA!! There are a lot of good air fryers, but my personal fave is the Cosori 12 in 1 Air Fryer. It’s not a “drawer” style air fryer which I think makes it so much more versatile! It’s also big enough to cook meals for my family of 5! It’s also a toaster oven which is super handy! I literally use this thing MULTIPLE times per day! It’s a powerhouse!
HOW TO MAKE PANCAKES IN THE AIR FRYER: STEP BY STEP
Here are some quick visual instructions. Remember that full instructions with exact ingredients will be in the recipe card below!
Step 1: Combine pancake mix and water, according to package directions. Let the batter rest for a couple of minutes , which will give you fluffier pancakes.
Step 2: Spray your aluminum pie tins generously with cooking spray.
Step 3: With a measuring cup, drop 1/4 cup of pancake batter into your pie tins, making sure to cover the whole bottom of the pan.
Step 4: Air fry pancakes at 400 degrees for 7-8 minutes until the tops are golden brown. Allow 1-2 minutes to cool then carefully remove pancakes from pie pans with a small spatula and serve hot!
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Heck yes!!! I just use a store bought buttermilk pancake mix in this recipe to show you the method, but the method works with most ANY pancake mix! I prefer recipes with buttermilk and find they yield the most delicious, fluffy pancakes!
Yes, you sure can! In fact, I LOVE making big batches and freezing them. Cool pancakes completely. Then freeze in an airtight freezer bag. If you are storing large batches, freeze between sheets of waxed paper, so you can easily remove just a few at a time.
Reheat pancakes by just placing 2-3 of them on a microwave safe plate, then microwave for 30-45 seconds on high until heated through. You can also reheat them in the air fryer at 350 degrees for a few minutes until heated through.
400 degrees is the perfect temperature to cook pancakes in the air fryer. I have found that any lower temperature will not get your pancakes golden brown on top. Note, however, temperatures vary from air fryer to air fryer, so the first time you cook them, check often for the golden brown color.
If you have seen the viral Tik Tok video of a guy singing and making stacks of pancakes on parchment paper in his air fryer….IT’S A SCAM!!!! Don’t believe everything you see on TV, kids! Just read the comments or do a You Tube search and you will see that this method works for no one. Myself included– yes, I TOTALLY drank and Kool-Aid and tried it!!
That video aside, you CAN, technically cook pancakes on parchment paper in the air fryer. But keep these things in mind:
#1: WHY?! I am giving you a much better method that actually works.
#2: It’s messy.
#3: You won’t get perfectly-shaped pancakes.
#4: If you have a drawer-style air fryer, they can be hard to remove.
#5: If you don’t spray the parchment paper really well, they’ll stick and it’s a mess (been there, done that, just sayin’).
The best way to make multiple pancakes in the air fryer is to make them small and make them in little 6 inch aluminum baking tins like these. The size of your air fryer will determine how many you can make at a time. In my Cosori 12 in 1 Air Fryer, I can fit (4) of these 6-inch tins.
RECIPE TIPS & TRICKS
- For the best, perfectly cooked air fryer pancakes, using an aluminum pan is key. You can get these disposable pans or use a regular 9 inch pie pan that you may have on hand for a big pancake! I just like using the smaller ones because you can make multiple pancakes in your air fryer at one time.
- Don’t throw away your used aluminum baking tins! They are totally reusable! Just rinse them out and use them again next time!
- For evenly cooked pancakes, make sure pancake batter is evenly spread in your pan. You can do this by using a 1/4 cup measuring cup to make sure all pancakes are even. With a rubber spatula, spoon or butter knife, gently spread batter to the edges then tap the pan on the counter a few times and the batter will spread evenly.
- If you want thicker pancakes, use 1/3 or 1/2 cup of batter and adjust the cooking time up by a few minutes. I just like the 1/4 cup, thin pancakes because they cook up so quickly!
- These pancakes are amazing with my Caramel Apple Pie Filling spooned over the top!
OTHER BREAKFAST RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
- HAWAIIAN ROLL BREAKFAST SLIDERS
- EASY AIR FRYER FRENCH TOAST STICKS
- EASY BANANA BLUEBERRY OATMEAL MUFFINS
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a Star Rating ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ below or tag @get.on.my.plate on Instagram! I really appreciate–it helps me out so much! Also, please SUBSCRIBE HERE and follow me on INSTAGRAM, FACEBOOK and PINTEREST!
Perfect Air Fryer Pancakes with Vanilla Whipped Cream
- 6-inch aluminum pie tins (products linked in Notes section)
For the pancakes
- 2 cups Buttermilk pancake mix See Note 1
- 1 1/2 cups water See Note 1
- Cooking spray
- syrup, berries, nuts, whipped cream, for topping (optional)
For the Vanilla Whipped Cream (optional)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 tbsp powdered sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Combine pancake mix and water (or prepare pancake mix according to package or recipe instructions). Mix together until ingredients are incorporated, but don't overmix! A few lumps are fine.
- Allow pancake batter to "rest" for a few minutes. In the meantime, preheat your air fryer to 400 degrees. If your air fryer doesn't have a preheat setting, just turn it to 400 and give it about 3-5 minutes to come to temperature.
- Spray (4) 6-inch pie tins with a generous amount of cooking spray.
- Drop 1/4 cup of batter into each pie tin. With a rubber spatula, spoon or butter knife, gently spread batter to the edges then tap the pan on the counter a few times and the batter will spread evenly all the way to the edges of the pan.
- Air fry 7-8 minutes until pancakes are golden brown on top.
- OPTIONAL: While the pancakes are air frying, with a hand or stand mixer on medium high, beat heavy cream, sugar and vanilla for 5-6 minutes seconds until soft peaks form and mixture resembles whipped cream. Chill until ready to use.
- Remove pancakes from air fryer. Allow 1-2 minutes to cool, then carefully remove with a spatula. Enjoy warm with toppings, if you like! Hint: My Caramel Apple Pie Filling is DIVINE spooned over the top of these pancakes!