These air fryer roasted tomatoes are like sweet heaven in one small bite! Fresh, super sweet and full of flavor, there are endless ways to use these tomatoes–from a healthy side dish, to pasta salads and even on delicious bruschetta! Roasting tomatoes in the air fryer is a great way to enjoy all types of summer tomatoes!
This post may contain affiliate links which means I may earn a small commission when you click on the links and make a purchase. I will never recommend a product that I don’t support 100%. You can read my full disclosure here.
If you haven’t “slow” roasted tomatoes yet, you are in for a treat! I’m not talking about throwing the tomatoes in the air fryer for 10-15 minutes and eating mushy tomatoes….I am talking about slow roasted, super sweet tomatoes!
There are SO MANY amazing ways to enjoy these air fryer roasted cherry tomatoes! One of my favorite ways is this Roasted Tomato Bruschetta….the balsamic glaze and the sweet tomatoes take this bruschetta to a whole new level!
You can also try this perfect Pasta Salad with Roasted Tomatoes–perfect for summer BBQs!!!
Yes, these can take upwards to 35 minutes to make in the air fryer…sometimes longer depending on your personal preference, But TRUST ME. DO NOT… I repeat DO NOT, settle for mushy tomatoes cooked for 15 minutes!!
Taking the time to slow roast tomatoes is so worth it….and it’s a lot quicker in the air fryer than in the oven!
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS RECIPE
- Super quick in the air fryer vs. slow roasting in the oven…which takes HOURS!
- Amazing flavor from any type of tomatoes!
- Perfect for salads, pasta or a quick, healthy side dish.
- Super easy recipe–hardly any fuss at all!
You’ll need the following ingredients to make these delicious air fryer cherry tomatoes:
Tomatoes: I like using cherry tomatoes (grape tomatoes) for quick cooking, but ANY tomatoes are just fine! I recommend cutting larger tomatoes into cherry tomato sized pieces for quick cooking and easy eating!
HOW TO MAKE AIR FRYER ROASTED TOMATOES: STEP BY STEP
Here are some quick visual instructions. Remember that full instructions with exact ingredients will be in the recipe card below!
Step 1: Using a sharp knife, halve your cherry tomatoes.
Step 2: Toss with olive oil, sea salt and sugar.
Step 3: Air fry for 35-45 minutes until tomatoes reach desired doneness.
RECIPE TIPS & TRICKS
- For easy clean up, line your air fryer with a piece or parchment paper made for the air fryer!
- If you are using larger tomatoes, cut them into smaller pieces for quicker cooking.
- Adding a small amount of sugar to the tomatoes doesn’t make then SWEET (the roasting does that!), it just helps bring out the natural sweetness.
STORAGE & REHEATING
- Storage: Store roasted tomatoes in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days.
- Freezing: Freeze tomatoes in a freezer bag, tightly sealed for 4-5 months.
ADDITIONS AND SUBSTITUTIONS
Here are some substitutions and swaps you can use for this recipe:
Tomatoes: Any fresh tomatoes will work for this air fryer tomatoes recipe: Roma tomatoes, (plum tomatoes), campari tomatoes, beefsteak tomatoes and even heirloom tomatoes all work great! I just suggest cutting them into small cherry tomato-sized pieces for quick cooking.
If you like green tomatoes, feel free to use those, too and make air fryer fried green tomatoes! Yum!
Oil: You can swap avocado oil, grapeseed oil or even plain canola oil for the olive oil in this recipe–just use whatever you have on hand. You can also use a few sprays for cooking spray, as well!
Here are a few delicious additions if you want to spice up your tomatoes:
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp oregano or Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp fresh oregano
- Red pepper flakes
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
There are SO many amazing ways to use these roast tomatoes!
* Add to pasta and pasta salads
* Topping for grilled fish or chicken
* Topping for bruschetta
* An easy, healthy side dish
* Use them on sandwiches
* Pizza topping
* Add them to quiche or egg dishes
Need more inspiration? Check out my 21 Amazing Recipes with Roasted Tomatoes!
Any fresh tomatoes will work for this air fryer tomatoes recipe: Roma tomatoes, (plum tomatoes), campari tomatoes, beefsteak tomatoes and even heirloom tomatoes all work great! I just suggest cutting them into small cherry tomato-sized piece for quick cooking.
Yesss!!! Scientists say tomatoes are healthier when they are cooked! Lycopene, the powerful antioxidant in tomatoes, is released when tomatoes are cooked. They go on to say, extra virgin olive oil also assists in better absorption of lycopene when cooking.
This roasted tomatoes recipe incudes a small amount of olive oil and also has very little salt and just a bit of sugar, so they tomatoes have very few calories or sodium.
OTHER AIR FRYER RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
Did you make this? Please RATE THE RECIPE below!
Air Fryer Roasted Tomatoes
- 1 Air Fryer I used the Corsori 5 Quart Air Fryer
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes (about 2 cups), halved See Note 1
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp white sugar
- 2 tsp olive oil
- Toss cherry tomatoes with salt, sugar and olive oil.
- Place tomato halves in a single layer, in the bottom of the air fryer basket (or tray). It's OK if some of them overlap, just try to get as close to an even layer as you can.
- Air fry tomatoes at 300°F for 35-45 minutes. Cook time will be dependent on your air fryer and personal preference. There should be some charred color and your tomatoes should not be too mushy. They also should NOT be dehaydrated tomatoes or completely dry! A good rule of thumb is to check tomatoes at the 35 minute mark. Then continue to air fry (if needed) in 5 minites increments until they reach your desrired doneness. This COULD take up to an hour depending on your air fryer–be patient, I promise it's worth it! ((In my 5 quart air fryer, these tomatoes took 40 minutes))
- Allow tomatoes to cool for about 5 minutes then enjoy in your favorite pasta salad, on bruchetta or as a perfect side dish!