Making a Chicken Salad Recipe Without Mayo could not be simpler…or move flavorful! We replace the mayonnaise in this recipe with a delicious sweet and tangy honey mustard. A few crunchy veggies are added and this becomes the perfect, light mayo-free chicken salad!
This post may contain affiliate links which means I may earn a small commission when you click on the links and make a purchase. I will never recommend a product that I don’t support 100%. You can read my full disclosure here.
If you want a new take on traditional chicken salad, this is the recipe for you! This salad skips the traditional heavy mayo and replaces it with a light, honey mustard vinaigrette.
This easy chicken salad is super quick to pull together making it perfect for busy weeknights.
Need another easy dinner? You can also try my Avocado Chicken Salad! It’s just as easy to make as this one and also uses rotisserie chicken breast.
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS RECIPE
- A healthy chicken salad recipe that contains no mayo, keeping it light, yet super flavorful!
- So simple to toss together for a quick lunch or light dinner.
- High protein, healthy salad that is yummy enough for the whole family.
- Leftovers are great and makes a great meal prep!
You’ll need the following ingredients to make this delicious Chicken Salad Without Mayo Recipe:
Chicken: Any cooked chicken breast works fine in this recipe. I like to use rotisserie chicken for the ease!
HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN SALAD WITHOUT MAYO: STEP BY STEP
Here are some quick visual instructions. Remember that full instructions with exact ingredients will be in the recipe card below!
Step 1: Shred your chicken, or chop into small pieces (Pro Tip: Using a stand mixer or hand mixer will get the chicken nice and fine).
Step 2: In a small bowl, whisk together your dressing ingredients.
Step 3: Combine chicken with veggies, toss with the dressing and serve!
Step 4: If possible, chill at least one hour before serving to allow the flavors to marry. Season with fresh cracked black pepper, if you like.
RECIPE TIPS & TRICKS
- Using leftover rotisserie chicken is a quick way to make this dish in a few minutes flat!
- To get your chicken finely chopped, use a hand mixer or stand mixer (See full instructions in the recipe card!).
- Storage: Store leftovers in an airtight container (my favorite storage containers!) or covered tightly with plastic wrap in the fridge for up to 4 days. Get more tips and tricks for storing chicken salad here: How Long Does Chicken Salad Last in the Fridge?
- Freezing: Since this is a non-mayo chicken salad, you can freeze it! Place leftovers in a freezer bag or in a freezer safe container and freeze up to 2 months. Note that a little water from the veggies will release when the chicken salad is thawed. That’s perfectly OK. Just drain it off, I like to freshen it up with a little extra honey mustard, too!
ADDITIONS AND SUBSTITUTIONS
Here are some substitutions:
Red Onion: Green onion or white/yellow onion works just fine.
Celery: Celery is king in traditional chicken salad, but you can replace it with cucumber, radishes or another crunchy veggie! See 15 Simple Substitutes for Celery.
Vinegar: You can use red wine vinegar or even just traditional white vinegar in this recipe
Here are a few great additions:
Fresh Herbs: Such as fresh parsley or chives are a great addition.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Yes! There are a few great ways to make mayo-free chicken salad! One way is to replace the mayo with a something else creamy such as Greek yogurt or sour cream.
However, this recipe uses a light honey mustard vinaigrette to coat the chicken. The result is a delicious salad that’s light, super flavorful with a hint of sweetness from the honey mustard. DELISH!
There are four main ways I love to enjoy this chicken salad:
1. Sandwiches: on regular bread, croissants or pita bread!
2. Wraps: Wrap in a flour tortilla, add some crispy lettuce and you have the perfect wrap.
3. As a pasta salad: Might sound odd, but stir this chicken salad into cooled, cooked pasta and drizzle the honey dressing over everything! This is one of my favorite ways to enjoy this chicken salad!
4. With Greens: Pile this chicken salad into butter lettuce cups or serve on top of a salad greens for a healthy, low carb meal.
Serve this chicken salad with a simple side of fresh fruit. If you are making chicken salad sandwiches, soup, roasted potatoes or sweet potato fries are great options.
Did you make this? Please RATE THE RECIPE below!
Please SUBSCRIBE HERE and follow me on INSTAGRAM, FACEBOOK and PINTEREST!
Chicken Salad Without Mayo
- 4 cups cooked chicken, shredded about 2 chicken breasts (See Note 1)
- 1/2 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 4 tbsp dijon mustard
- 4 tbsp honey
- 4 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- fresh black pepper, if you like!
- Shred or finely chop chicken. Use an electric mixer on medium speed for about 3-4 minutes to get the chicken to your desired size and texture. You can also just shred the meat by hand or chop it!
- In a small bowl, whisk together vinaigrette ingredients: dijon mustard, honey, vinegar and oil. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine chicken, onion and celery, Add dressing and toss gently until the chicken is coated with the dressing. If possible, chill at least one hour before serving to allow the flavors to marry. Season with fresh cracked black pepper, if you like.
- Serve on sandwiches, in wraps, over a bed of lettuce or with crackers!
This is the best chicken salad recipe I have ever made; so light and delicious!
Just my personal opinion- it was a little too watery/sweet! I also would do less onions or it’s a bit overwhelming. I think pickles would be a good addition.
Sisley White - Sew White says
Thank you for this recipe. I hate mayo and this was delicious in our sandwiches.
My non mayo eater is going to love this quick and easy chicken salad! Delish!
This looks very good. I love this healthier version with no mayo. It actually looks better!
Hi Casey, Thank you for this recipe because in January I’m gonna need it! Thanks for sharing!
This looks so moist and flavorful. Can’t wait to try it out! Thanks for the beautiful step-by-step pics!
I’m not super fond of Mayo, so this chicken salad is right up my alley! Thanks so much for sharing the recipe!
The BEST chicken salad recipe! I’ll never go back to mayo after tasting your honey dijon mustard dressing! Thanks for the great tip to use a stand mixer or hand mixer to easily get the chicken in fine pieces, too. Your recipes are always amazing, and this chicken salad is definitely a KEEPER!
Alisa Infanti says
I love that this recipe is without mayo. Lighter and so much tastier in my opinion!
Sara Welch says
I love chicken salad but have never liked all the mayo; this is a great alternative! So easy and delicious; easily, a new favorite recipe!
Carrie Robinson says
I am loving this lightened up, mayo-free version of classic chicken salad! 🙂 Looks delicious.