Making a Chicken Salad Recipe Without Mayo could not be simpler…or more flavorful! We replace the mayonnaise in this recipe with a delicious sweet and tangy honey mustard. A few crunchy veggies are added and this becomes the perfect, light mayo-free chicken salad!
If you want a new take on traditional chicken salad, this is the recipe for you! This salad skips the traditional heavy mayo and replaces it with a light, honey mustard vinaigrette.
This easy chicken salad is super quick to pull together making it perfect for busy weeknights.
Need another easy dinner? You can also try my Avocado Chicken Salad! It’s just as easy to make as this one and also uses rotisserie chicken breast.
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS RECIPE
- A healthy chicken salad recipe that contains no mayo, keeping it light, yet super flavorful!
- So simple to toss together for a quick lunch or light dinner.
- High protein, healthy salad that is yummy enough for the whole family.
- Leftovers are great and makes a great meal prep!
You’ll need the following ingredients to make this delicious Chicken Salad Without Mayo Recipe:
Chicken: Any cooked chicken breast works fine in this recipe. I like to use rotisserie chicken for the ease!
HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN SALAD WITHOUT MAYO: STEP BY STEP
Here are some quick visual instructions. Remember that full instructions with exact ingredients will be in the recipe card below!
Step 1: Shred your chicken, or chop into small pieces (Pro Tip: Using a stand mixer or hand mixer will get the chicken nice and fine).
Step 2: In a small bowl, whisk together your dressing ingredients.
Step 3: Combine chicken with veggies, toss with the dressing and serve!
Step 4: If possible, chill at least one hour before serving to allow the flavors to marry. Season with fresh cracked black pepper, if you like.
RECIPE TIPS & TRICKS
- Using leftover rotisserie chicken is a quick way to make this dish in a few minutes flat!
- To get your chicken finely chopped, use a hand mixer or stand mixer (See full instructions in the recipe card!).
- Storage: Store leftovers in an airtight container (my favorite storage containers!) or covered tightly with plastic wrap in the fridge for up to 4 days. Get more tips and tricks for storing chicken salad here: How Long Does Chicken Salad Last in the Fridge?
- Freezing: Since this is a non-mayo chicken salad, you can freeze it! Place leftovers in a freezer bag or in a freezer safe container and freeze up to 2 months. Note that a little water from the veggies will release when the chicken salad is thawed. That’s perfectly OK. Just drain it off, I like to freshen it up with a little extra honey mustard, too!
ADDITIONS AND SUBSTITUTIONS
Here are some substitutions:
Red Onion: Green onion or white/yellow onion works just fine.
Celery: Celery is king in traditional chicken salad, but you can replace it with cucumber, radishes or another crunchy veggie! See 15 Simple Substitutes for Celery.
Vinegar: You can use red wine vinegar or even just traditional white vinegar in this recipe
Here are a few great additions:
Fresh Herbs: Such as fresh parsley or chives are a great addition.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Yes! There are a few great ways to make mayo-free chicken salad! One way is to replace the mayo with a something else creamy such as Greek yogurt or sour cream.
However, this recipe uses a light honey mustard vinaigrette to coat the chicken. The result is a delicious salad that’s light, super flavorful with a hint of sweetness from the honey mustard. DELISH!
There are four main ways I love to enjoy this chicken salad:
1. Sandwiches: on regular bread, croissants or pita bread!
2. Wraps: Wrap in a flour tortilla, add some crispy lettuce and you have the perfect wrap.
3. As a pasta salad: Might sound odd, but stir this chicken salad into cooled, cooked pasta and drizzle the honey dressing over everything! This is one of my favorite ways to enjoy this chicken salad!
4. With Greens: Pile this chicken salad into butter lettuce cups or serve on top of a salad greens for a healthy, low carb meal.
In a Dinner Rut?
Grab your 7-Day Meal Plan + 3 Bonus Recipes!
Chicken Salad Without Mayo
- 4 cups cooked chicken, shredded about 2 chicken breasts (See Note 1)
- 1/2 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 4 tbsp dijon mustard
- 4 tbsp honey
- 4 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- fresh black pepper, if you like!
- Shred or finely chop chicken. Use an electric mixer on medium speed for about 3-4 minutes to get the chicken to your desired size and texture. You can also just shred the meat by hand or chop it!
- In a small bowl, whisk together vinaigrette ingredients: dijon mustard, honey, vinegar and oil. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine chicken, onion and celery, Add dressing and toss gently until the chicken is coated with the dressing. If possible, chill at least one hour before serving to allow the flavors to marry. Season with fresh cracked black pepper, if you like.
- Serve on sandwiches, in wraps, over a bed of lettuce or with crackers!