This Chicken Pasta with Chipotle Cream Sauce is a dish you’ll be making over and over! Pasta, chicken and a few sweet veggies are cooked in a smokey, creamy sauce that comes together in about 30 minutes. You can easily adjust the spice in this dish and even make it low carb, keto friendly and gluten free! Everyone’s happy!
This post may contain affiliate links which means I may earn a small commission when you click on the links and make a purchase. I will never recommend a product that I don’t support 100%. You can read my full disclosure here.
Friends, I get giddy when I think about this pasta dish! It’s soooooo darn yummy!!! The spicy chipotle cream sauce is not too heavy, but not too light and the chipotle chilis yield the most smokey, delicious flavor throughout the dish!
Corn and tomatoes are the perfect sweet compliment to the smokey sauce. Add on your fresh garnishes like scallions, cilantro and a squeeze of lime and you literally have the most perfect bite! Like, ever.
Removing the seeds from the chipotle chilis gives you the smokey flavor without the spice–totally kid friendly! However, if you want more spice, leave in the seeds and add more chilis! You can totally customize it for you heat threshold!
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS RECIPE
- It’s super easy and comes together in one pan.
- Can be made keto or low carb friendly.
- Spice level can be easily adjusted to make it kid friendly.
- Smokey, cheesy deliciousness. Enough said.
You’ll need the following ingredients to make this delicious Chicken Pasta with Chipotle Cream Sauce:
Pasta: Bow ties are fun, but you can use any shape pasta! Penne and rotini are perfect options.
Chipotle Chilis: Chipotles in adobo are smoked and dried jalapeños that are canned with pureed tomatoes, vinegar, garlic, and spices. They are widely available at all major grocery chains (usually near the Mexican foods like taco shells, jarred salsas, etc). Some popular brands are Goya and La Costena.
Chicken: I typically use chicken breast but chicken thighs wonderfully, too!
HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN PASTA WITH CHIPOTLE CREAM SAUCE: STEP BY STEP
Here are some quick visual instructions. Remember that full instructions with exact ingredients will be in the recipe card below!
Step 1: Cook pasta al dente according to package instructions. I always cook it on the lower end of what the directions say. So if it says 9-11 minutes, I boil for 9 minutes.
Step 2: Cook chicken and remove from pan.
Step 3: Add butter, garlic and chipotle chilis with adobo sauce. Cook a few minutes.
Step 4: Then add cream and chicken stock whisked with 2 tsp cornstarch. Cook a few minutes until sauce is thickened.
Step 5: Add in corn, tomatoes and chicken. Give everything a big stir and cook until heat through.
Step 6: Remove from heat and stir in Parmesan cheese.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Because of the heavy cream, I do not recommend freezing this dish. However, it will keep well in the fridge for 3-4 days.
Reheat in a skillet for 4-5 minutes with a few splashes of chicken stock or cream to loosen everything up.
I don’t ever like to recommend subbing out the heavy cream because lower fat creams (half and half) and milk tend to curdle at high heat. I have added chicken stock to this recipe to lighten it up a bit. Feel free to use less cream and more chicken stock if you want the dish to be a bit lighter.
If you don’t have any heavy cream on hand and need a substitute, check out these 15 Substitutes for Heavy Cream!
It’s very easy to adjust the spice level in this dish:
Mild: Remove seeds from 1-2 chipotle chilis + adobo sauce.
Medium: Use 1-2 chipotle chilis with seeds + adobo sauce.
Hot: Use 3-4 chipotle chilis with seeds + adobo sauce.
Keto/Low Carb: This chicken pasta would be delish over spaghetti squash for a lower carb option!
Gluten Free: Easy! Just use your favorite g-free pasta like Barilla’s Gluten Free Penne.
RECIPE TIPS & TRICKS
- A great swap for the chicken in this dish is shrimp! It cooks a little faster, too 🙂
- If sauce gets a little too thick, add a splash of chicken stock to thin it out a bit.
- The recipe only calls for 12 oz of pasta (roughly 2/3 of the box). I just make the entire box and add in whatever my skillet can hold! LOL! I use any leftover pasta for lunches during the week.
OTHER PASTA RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a Star Rating ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ below or tag @get.on.my.plate on Instagram! I really appreciate it–it helps me out so much! Also, please SUBSCRIBE HERE and follow me on INSTAGRAM, FACEBOOK and PINTEREST!
Chicken Pasta with Chipotle Cream Sauce
- 12 oz pasta, bow ties, penne, rotini not quite the whole box (See Note 1)
- 1-2 chicken breasts, cut into small bite sized pieces
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 tbsp butter
- 4 cloves garlic the best garlic chopper!
- 2-3 chipotle chilis, chopped + 1 tbsp adobo sauce See Note 2
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup chicken stock + 2 tsp cornstarch whisked in See Note 3
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese
- cilantro/scallions/lime for garnish optional
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Since the pasta will be added back and cooked in the sauce for a few minutes, cook it on the low end of the range on the package instructions. (If the instructions say cook 9-11 minutes, cook for 9 minutes).
- In a large, high sided skillet over medium high, heat 2 teaspoons of olive oil. Add chicken and cook 3-4 minutes until browned and cooked through. Remove chicken from pan. Don't worry if there are some browned bits left in the skillet!
- In the same skillet over medium low heat, melt butter. Then add garlic, chipotle chilis and adobo sauce. Cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring to make sure garlic doesn't burn.
- Stir in cream and chicken stock mixed with 2 teaspoons of cornstarch. Cook 3-4 minutes on medium low until sauce is thickened and bubbling slightly.
- Add chicken back to pan (make sure you get all the juices in there, too!), along with corn, tomatoes and pasta. Increase temperature to medium high and cook 3-4 minutes more until everything is heated through, stirring occasionally to get everything well mixed and coated with the sauce.
- Turn off the heat and stir in Parmesan cheese. Stir, stir, stir until cheese is melted and incorporated into the pasta.
- Serve immediately garnished with lots of scallions, cilantro and a squeeze of lime, if you like!