Trader Joe’s Crunchy Chili Onion is one of my all-time favorite Trader’s products and by far, my favorite spicy condiment!!! If you’re looking for a new condiment with a little spice that’s super versatile, look no further. I’ll also give you my 12 favorite ways to use this delicious crunchy chili onion!
Obsessed with Trader Joe’s like I am?! Check out these 20 Easy Trader Joe’s Dinner Ideas! And be sure to make the Chili Onion Crunch Pasta!
Many Asian restaurants will have a version of chili oil on the table, varying in spice level and quality…LOL! The Trader Joe’s version is BY FAR the best chili oil I’ve ever had, aside from my mom’s homemade version!
Trader Joe’s Crunchy Chili Onion comes in a small 6 oz. glass jar and is found with the shelf-stable items, usually right near the soy sauce, teriyaki sauce, coconut milk…that general area.
The main ingredients are olive oil, dried onion, dried garlic, chili peppers (red pepper flakes), and sea salt.
You can read all of the nitty-gritty details, along with the nutrition information on the Trader Joe’s product detail page here.
Of course, you can purchase this crunchy condiment at Trader Joe’s but if you’re not close to a TJ’s, you can buy it on Amazon!!!
CRUNCHY CHILI ONION: PROS
- Flavor: This chili crunch has a bit of spice, but also a smokey, garlicky flavor that is unmatched!
- Super satisfying crunch: The texture of this condiment is KEY! The dried onion and garlic give it a nice crunch but loads of flavor as well.
- Spice level: This chili crunch is medium heat. I feel like there is JUST enough spice to jazz up a dish without being overwhelmingly spicy. It appeals to a wide palette, so don’t shy away from if it you’re sensitive to spice! Try it!
- Affordable: Each jar of Trader’s Joe’s chili onion crunch is only $4.49 (as of this writing)…and it LASTS! One jar will last me at least a couple of months!
CRUNCHY CHILI ONION: CONS
- Calories can add up: This chili oil has 110 calories and 10g of fat per tablespoon. This isn’t terrible as far as chili oil is concerned, but it can add up because you’ll be addicted to it!
- Not super spicy: If you are a heat-lover, this chili crunch might not be spicy enough for you. I would say it’s medium to low on the heat scale.
- Hardens in the fridge: My first instinct is always to keep this in the fridge, but if you do, it will harden because of the olive oil. Store it in the pantry, or if you keep it in the fridge, just leave it out for a while so it can come to room temp.
Don’t have a Trader Joe’s nearby?? Of course, you can buy it on Amazon!!!
BEST WAYS TO USE CHILI ONION CRUNCH
Here are just twelve of my favorite ways to use TJ’s chili onion crunch:
- Stirred into Trader Joe’s Fried Rice.
- As a dipping sauce for potstickers.
- Tossed with green beans for “Asian style” green beans–makes a great side dish!
- Tossed with any cooked or raw veggies!
- Mixed into stir-fries. It’s especially yummy spooned over the top of this Honey Garlic Shrimp!
- Drizzed onto pizza.
- Stirred into hummus for a little spice!
- Over scrambled eggs.
- Tossed with plain pasta.
- Stirred into pasta sauce.
- Stir it into soups.
- Use it as a “dressing” for a crunchy Asian slaw.
YOUR QUESTIONS ANSWERED
This product is shelf stable and does not indicate anywhere on the package it needs to be refrigerated after opening. For best results, keep it in the panty so it doesn’t harden.
If you keep it in the fridge, that’s fine too! Just allow it a few minutes to come to room temperature and stir it well.
Not very spicy. On a scale of 1-10, I’d give it a 3. It appeals to a wide variety of palettes but might not be spicy enough for those of you who can really handle the heat!
Purchase this Crunchy Chili Onion without leaving your house! Buy it on Amazon!!!